Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

Anyone remember this?

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/jul1995derechopage.htm#:~:text=The Ontario-Adirondacks Derecho of,1995 U.S. dollars in damage.

FB_IMG_1721125554852.jpg

That one was way south of us.  The one I remember was July 4-5, 1999.  It flattened hundreds of acres of Boundary Waters forest on the 4th then blew down a lot more in NH/Maine on the 5th while injuring campers at Umbagog Lake and Chain of Ponds.  The Rangeley AP recorded a gust of 83 mph.  Two campers at Big Eddy (downstream from Long Falls Dam) had their tent stakes fail, the wind then rolling the (occupied) tent across the campground as nearby trees were getting swatted down left and right.  The Lincoln Plantation's east public lot had a 60-70 acre patch flattened by straight-line wind; at one spot I found a large healthy deep-rooted white birch flattened. 10 feet away was an overmature fir, shallow-rooted as always and probably with butt-rot, but completely undamaged.  That derecho dissipated near BGR after creating a small tor near Bingham/Moscow.  (Someone - dendrite? - noted that the residual energy was then carried south where it caused damaging storms in NC on 7/6.)

BTV discussion update:

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BTV&issuedby=BTV&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

As of 1029 AM EDT Tuesday...Quiet and humid this morning. The
main tweak has been to show increased confidence in the
convection focused along the southern half of the state with
increased PoPs and QPF down south. HREF probabilities indicate a
reasonable chance of reaching at least an inch from a swath
covering the Adirondacks east towards the southern Champlain
Valley. The Storm Prediction Center has also bumped this area up
to an Enhanced Risk (Level 3 of 5) due to almost every piece of
guidance showing a large bowing segment crossing the Mohawk
Valley and grazing the Adirondacks and south-central Vermont.
We`ll continue to monitor the development of the thunderstorms
out ahead of the vigorous shortwave. The amount of instability
remains a question, but the shear will be present. Stay tuned.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Climo steps down and you can start enjoying the outdoors again. 

Already enjoying the outdoors. I do have an exquisite weekend dew story. Thursday I went to Costco's (which was a total disaster. Had $400 worth of stuff and I didn't realize (or forgot) they ONLY ACCEPT VISTA). Anyways, I wore jeans, it was another soaking experience. I went to a different Costco's Friday (with my Vista) and it was another beautiful, soaking experience. Saturday was my gf 30th birthday and we had a party. Sat outside all day, just drenched in sweat. Clothes and everything soaked. Sunday was my nieces gender reveal and it was another soaking, dripping experience. There is nothing better than being totally wet in the summer then taking a nice warm shower and feeling refreshed. But the feeling of sensation when it is above 90, dewpoints above 70, and the Sun beating down on you is unmatched pleasure in the romantic sense and the tingles generated by each drop of sweat as it slowly trickles down every ounce of your body is indescribable. Thinking of doing an OnlyFans, dewpoint sensations and romantic pleasure, next year if anyone wants to subscribe. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 4

24 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Already enjoying the outdoors. I do have an exquisite weekend dew story. Thursday I went to Costco's (which was a total disaster. Had $400 worth of stuff and I didn't realize (or forgot) they ONLY ACCEPT VISTA). Anyways, I wore jeans, it was another soaking experience. I went to a different Costco's Friday (with my Vista) and it was another beautiful, soaking experience. Saturday was my gf 30th birthday and we had a party. Sat outside all day, just drenched in sweat. Clothes and everything soaked. Sunday was my nieces gender reveal and it was another soaking, dripping experience. There is nothing better than being totally wet in the summer then taking a nice warm shower and feeling refreshed. But the feeling of sensation when it is above 90, dewpoints above 70, and the Sun beating down on you is unmatched pleasure in the romantic sense and the tingles generated by each drop of sweat as it slowly trickles down every ounce of your body is indescribable. Thinking of doing an OnlyFans, dewpoint sensations and romantic pleasure, next year if anyone wants to subscribe. 

Troubling thoughts…

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

We all love high dews on this board, but this story has disturbed many 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

38 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

So, road trip to St. John and Moncton, NB. St. John is currently 65 and they have a Costco. St. John is not supposed to break 80 in the next 10 days. But bring your Mastercard because Canadian Costcos don't take Visa. The Moncton one gas a gas station. Oh, and for your Costco road trip, you could stop at the one in Scarborough, Maine which also has gas. 

I recently did a trip up to Newfoundland and did hit all four Costcos for gas, snacks, etc. Was a good time. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

What happened to your Dog Wiz?

Same thing that happened back in December, except this time was more severe. We were outside for 2 seconds last Wednesday about to play and he gets all excited and jumps on his hind legs and twists. When he did that he screamed in pain...absolutely screamed and had zero movement of his back legs. He scooted around the yard on his butt. He kept trying to stand up but kept flopping over. I was home alone and my girlfriend was over an hour away. So a friend came to help me carry him into the car and I brought him to the emergency vet. MRI revealed he had a second stroke in his spine (happened back in December), except this impacted both sides and why he lost all feeling and control of his back legs. 

They say he will make a full recovery, however, they aren't sure what caused it the first time or this time. There was nothing evident in his blood test, however, they did another blood test Friday but have not gotten the results back (so guessing they are doing something more substantial. He's slowly been getting some feeling in his back legs, but still no movement of the legs. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Definitely not and I remember you or someone else said recently that the severe weather office really seems to struggle regarding our climatology. Hard to disagree 

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md1652.html

DISCUSSION...The threat for damaging straight line winds, hail, and
   perhaps a tornado or two, continues for WW 546 this afternoon.
   Thunderstorm coverage continues to increase, with the most intense
   convection on the northern periphery of the watch being associated
   with a MCV progressing eastward out of Lake Ontario. This remnant
   MCV will be the greatest short-term threat for damaging winds as it
   comes onshore over the next hour, in addition to the line forming on
   its southern periphery. 

Ahead of the convection, the boundary layer has warmed into the
   mid-to-upper 80s F, with dewpoints reaching the low-to-mid 70s F.
   This warm, moist boundary layer and associated instability is
   overspread by 45-50 kts of deep-layer vertical shear, supporting
   both supercells and linear bowing segments. 

Forecast profiles east of the convection show some modest curvature
   of the low level hodograph, suggesting that the environment does
   support at least some tornado potential. This tornado potential
   would be maximized with any supercells that remain discrete or
   become dominant in an embedded line.