Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looking at the obs, relatively its still pretty warm to be 82-83F all afternoon with 5-10kts out of the east directly off the Atlantic.

That’s probably a 90F if the wind was west all day instead of east.

If my aunt had testicles she would be my uncle.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looking at the obs, relatively it’s still a warm air mass to be 82-83F all afternoon with 5-10kts out of the east directly off the Atlantic.

That’s probably a 90F if the wind was west all day instead of east.

Agreed it's warm air mass. Not taking down the grid like some had said.

4 minutes ago, kdxken said:

If my aunt had testicles she would be my uncle.

Ha you feel strongly about this.

I just don’t think using BOS as a barometer makes much sense unless you’re out there literally on the water.  BOS just isn’t indicative of the air mass as much as it is the wind direction.

Its been a very hot summer so far.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha you feel strongly about this.

I just don’t think using BOS as a barometer makes much sense unless you’re out there literally on the water.  BOS just isn’t indicative of the air mass as much as it is the wind direction.

Its been a very hot summer so far.

I don't really:D . Not much weather to talk about other than temperature.  Although, going back to our previous discussion about ASOS stations you seem to just want to throw Boston out. Shouldn't it be valid when comparing years? Otherwise they might as well just shut it down. What station would you like to use?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

I don't really:D . Not much weather to talk about other than temperature.  Although, going back to our previous discussion about ASOS stations you seem to just want to throw Boston out. Shouldn't it be valid when comparing years? Otherwise they might as well just shut it down. What station would you like to use?

Ha, I guess my issue with BOS is that it's not indicative of the air mass like most other stations.  It's more indicative of wind direction.  Like if we are having a discussion about how hot a summer is and using BOS... it's like your house is on fire but you open the refrigerator door and huddle in the opening thinking, this fire isn't *that* hot :lol:.

ORH at 1,000ft has the same average high so far as BOS (84F) but ORH is like +6 while BOS is only +3.  BDL is also at +6 on July so far.  We are +6.1 up here for July so far, it's just widespread absolute record heater so far for July.

I like using ORH and BDL because you get the elevation differences and its in the heart of SNE.  Even though it's only halfway through the month, both ORH and BDL are on pace to have their hottest July's ever if this sustains itself.

ORH's highest July average temp is 75.9F in 1911 (think that was at a much lower elevation too).... and so far this year is 76.1F at 1,000ft.

BDL's record July is 2019 at 78.2F and so far this year is 79.8F.

Of course, it's incredibly hard to sustain record warmth so I'd bet against it, but looking across the region there are a lot of sites pacing at a record July level through the first two weeks.

On the flip side with BOS, I'd think the same thing if it was November and ORH and BDL were -3F while BOS was average because the wind direction was unfavorable and kept them more in the mild maritime air, while the interior was solidly cold.  We'd call that a cold month and it would be hard to use BOS as a reason to say it wasn't chilly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, I guess my issue with BOS is that it's not indicative of the air mass like most other stations.  It's more indicative of wind direction.  Like if we are having a discussion about how hot a summer is and using BOS... it's like your house is on fire but you open the refrigerator door and huddle in the opening thinking, this fire isn't *that* hot :lol:.

ORH at 1,000ft has the same average high so far as BOS (84F) but ORH is like +6 but BOS is only +3.  BDL is also at +6 on July so far.  We are +6.1 up here for July so far, it's just widespread absolute record heater so far for July.

I like using ORH and BDL because you get the elevation differences and its in the heart of SNE.  Even though it's only halfway through the month, both ORH and BDL are on pace to have their hottest July's ever if this sustains itself.

ORH's highest July average temp is 75.9F in 1911 (think that was at a much lower elevation too).... and so far this year is 76.1F at 1,000ft.

BDL's record July is 2019 at 78.2F and so far this year is 79.8F.

Of course, it's incredibly hard to sustain record warmth so I'd bet against it, but looking across the region there are a lot of sites pacing at a record July level through the first two weeks.

On the flip side with BOS, I'd think the same thing if it was November and ORH and BDL were -3F while BOS was average because the wind direction was unfavorable and kept them more in the mild maritime air, while the interior was solidly cold.  We'd call that a cold month and it would be hard to use BOS as a reason to say it wasn't chilly.

Only problem with that is most people live close to the coast. Providence is +2 for the month. Doubt that's a record. 

Screenshot_20240714_214741_Chrome.jpg

19 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Only problem with that is most people live close to the coast. Providence is +2 for the month. Doubt that's a record. 

Screenshot_20240714_214741_Chrome.jpg

Fair enough.  If folks associate more with the maritime influenced spots than they do the interior continental air, they do have a strong period of record to lean on at BOS.

Lots of S-SW flow for the south coast this month. Normally we get some fronts and NW flow in the region in July, but that has been tough to come by. Those days tend to favor higher positive anomalies for the coast vs the interior. 

It’s like a month with a lot of rad cooling. The valleys and pits end up with the more anomalous cold mins than the urban centers or elevations. Most months have a vibe and whatever that is tends to influence the anomalies.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Some hi res have some big ones N CT to ORH area mid afternoon on. Several rounds scattered. And another overnight 

I honestly didn’t see any except on some boundary near the pike. 3K had late action but fizzles quick. 

16 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Even at 33 I struggle. I think many times it’s probably close to 32 when stations get 10” at 33. I suppose if it’s really cold aloft maybe it can stick decently at 33.

Rates were very heavy for much of that 1969 storm.  Maybe Central Park was running 32-33 but all the hourly obs were 33.  Because rain had been forecast, the sanitation workers (NYC puts its plows on garbage trucks) had not been alerted and the city was almost paralyzed.  The head of the sanitation union said of the mayor, "He played it by ear and was stone deaf!"

Yesterday morning the temp snuck down to 59, first sub-60 minimum since 7/5.  TD was back into the upper 60s by mid-afternoon.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

Lots of S-SW flow for the south coast this month. Normally we get some fronts and NW flow in the region in July, but that has been tough to come by. Those days tend to favor higher positive anomalies for the coast vs the interior. 

It’s like a month with a lot of rad cooling. The valleys and pits end up with the more anomalous cold mins than the urban centers or elevations. Most months have a vibe and whatever that is tends to influence the anomalies.

This month's vibe so far here is steady humid AN temps w/o any spectacular heat.  We've not gotten to within 5° of June's hottest, but the current average is 69.9.  Our warmest July, 2010, finished at 68.5 and the 2nd half of July averages warmer here than the first.  We've had 10 straight days at +5 or greater, a yawner in January (Jan 2017 featured an 11-day run of 10+ AN) but very uncommon here in July.

• Like 1