Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

18 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:
25 minutes ago, kdxken said:
I can see why you'd like warmth better than cold. I'm betting there's a lot of things you can't do with gloves on.

I wear gloves (thin ones) in the summer too. This biggest issue is dealing with trenches and PVC pipe and wire and flex conduit. It all sucks to work with in the cold.

True... electrician here as well, although I can never quite get used to the dews at work. Give me 30 to 60 degrees any day and I'll be far more productive 84 in Simsbury, so far dews lower than yesterday by quite a bit

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

you think it's that shallow -  interesting.

I think part of the problem is that we are on a sloped curve.  More importantly, the slope is not Y/X ... it is Y^2/X

That affects people, and that interns effects their 'intuitive impression' of how nature is changing outside the window. 

Personally I think it's further along than one half of a single growing zone - intuitively.  Because of the acceleration in which this shit is all happening, the scalar values may say 1/3 ... 1/2 ... 4/7ths... etc, but 1 year later those are too shallow. 

The full hardiness zones are 10° steps.  IMO (and in the data I've accumulated), even the 5° half-zone is a bit of a stretch, though it's getting closer.

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Been in Scott’s hood a lot recently in the Weymouth area. Damn the traffic is horrible, no matter what day or time.

Maybe I can get in on the CJ if I move there 

Not sure you’re his type. 

• Haha 6
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

I know what he meant and we’re not there yet. We’ve gained maybe a half growing zone in spots. LWM/BED from the 70s may be a better comparison. 

Last thing I would do is reference the growing zones to track this warming. November warmth hasn't helped us, as sun angle is prohibitive by November 13th or so. That's latitude dependent. 

And our climate has been most "normal" in early to mid spring, which means the frosts are common through end of april.

We've warmed up a lot, but I'm still gardening like a New Englander...

• Like 1

Did an asphalt shingle roof yesterday in Amesbury with the brother in law, think we both got mild heat stroke. Was 94° actual temp. I swear up on that roof in direct sunlight it was 115+. Couldn't kneel on the roof or your knee would burn even with with pants on. Never been that hot. He called out of work today lol. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Last thing I would do is reference the growing zones to track this warming. November warmth hasn't helped us, as sun angle is prohibitive by November 13th or so. That's latitude dependent. 

And our climate has been most "normal" in early to late spring, which means the frosts are common through end of april.

We've warmed up a lot, but I'm still gardening like a New Englander...

I think I was confusing you're previous discussion with him with climate zones.   

You guys were talking about gardening/growing season climo - I guess.  I think I even typed that while still having the former aspect in mind   :blink:   lol

What I had in mind was about "climate bands".  Like there's a distinction between lower M/A to upper M/A in both empirical data and sensible appeal, both.   Just like there's a difference between the upper M/A vs SNE, C vs N NE.

Having said that... these bands are shifting N - probably at the rate of generations. Although, like I was saying there is calculative reasons for wondering if that is accelerating.

The other thing is that if you ...well, when "I" look these climate bands up I do not find them in codified NOAA/NCEP or NWS very readily.   Results keep referring to global climate zone definitions.  Like "Highland" or "Tropical" or "Desert" ... but not down to the discrete level whereby distinctions between ATL, PHL and BOS like that.  I'm sure its out there somewhere

No I’m not talking growing literally. It was a casual reference to about a 5F rise in minima. Obviously it’s deeper than that, but we are not 1970s NJ up here right now.

And disagree about the frost season. CON’s growing season has expanded dramatically on both ends. 

I hope that Beryl’s remnants don’t play out here in VT and the North Country of NY as a worst possible scenario. They’d come pretty much exactly a year after the most recent catastrophic floods. While I don’t live in a flood prone area, I don’t know how much more certain communities, specifically in the valleys of the Green Mountains, can take in terms of repeat onslaughts of water. Looking at the tail end of the 12Z NAM3KM, showing ~1.4in over the first 3 hours from the onset of rain with already saturated soils, I have concerns.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kdxken said:

89/67 at noon. Not a cloud in the sky. It's amazing how much better it feels with  the dew point just a few degrees lower. Today is definitely doable to work outside.

20240708_112613.jpg

It's a croaker. 100 in the sun 90s shade

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, grambo said:

I hope that Beryl’s remnants don’t play out here in VT and the North Country of NY as a worst possible scenario. They’d come pretty much exactly a year after the most recent catastrophic floods. While I don’t live in a flood prone area, I don’t know how much more certain communities, specifically in the valleys of the Green Mountains, can take in terms of repeat onslaughts of water. Looking at the tail end of the 12Z NAM3KM, showing ~1.4in over the first 3 hours from the onset of rain with already saturated soils, I have concerns.

It's probably borderline irresponsible to say this but you're not likely to get that localized thing.  Very high sigma events of that nature don't load that frequently.  6" of rain in 2 days into a topographic funneling was unique, not just for rain amts and rates, but into the circumstantial terrain.  

Just looking at the modeling and comparing, the event last year was an unusual low movement from PA to the ST L seaway. This imposed deep layer SSE inflow of high PWAT air ( relative to other thermodynamics), then impinging into the higher els and enhancing lift.  

Contrasting, this is coming over the NW arc of a coherent WAR ridge...which is along an anticyclonic curved trajectory. I have a feeling that yeah there'll be training but also a tendency to stretch Beryl's entrails along the contours of the flow ... sort of off-setting some of it, too.  Obviously pay attention to it as it all nears - 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Been in Scott’s hood a lot recently in the Weymouth area. Damn the traffic is horrible, no matter what day or time.

Maybe I can get in on the CJ if I move there 

Whereabouts? I’m not  doing much during the day so it doesn’t bother me. I just had to do a couple errands and it was fine for me up in my area.

2 hours ago, NoCORH4L said:

Did an asphalt shingle roof yesterday in Amesbury with the brother in law, think we both got mild heat stroke. Was 94° actual temp. I swear up on that roof in direct sunlight it was 115+. Couldn't kneel on the roof or your knee would burn even with with pants on. Never been that hot. He called out of work today lol. 

Did you stay uphill while shingling.  At those temps a decent sized housecat would smear the surface.  :thumbsdown:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Middle street. Girl I’m seeing is from the south shore and her parents currently live in Weymouth 

Ahh. Depending where on Middle st, I'm not far from there. That is a busy St though.