• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

I know I’m probably staying the obvious for this time of year but I’ll tell ya when the sun is out like it was today, with hardly a cloud in the sky, it is friggin hot..like burning hot! I was down by the waterfront in scituate today and you had to get right in front of the ocean practically, to feel any relief. Maybe I’m just not used to this kind of weather after the swamps of Louisiana decided to pay us a visit much of last summer but man the sheer intensity of that big ball of warmth can’t be denied at this early point in the season. I’m sure tippy can describe in much greater eloquence than myself why this is the case lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

whatever it is ...it's growing on decking surfaces around the shaded elementation.  It may not be black mold exactly, but the stuff in my bathroom worries me.  I keep looking for it and have a hot bleach water mixture on stand by - it seems to kill it almost immediately. 

I have an exit fan in the bathroom but it's old and needs to be replaced.  I want to have a match blow out at the base of the door when the fan is on to make sure it's actually trading air and moving outside - not sure what's in there is easy to the task.   I'm scheduled to have mini split conversion for heat/cooling on the 22nd of July.  Psyched for that. .. But my buddy had those put in and says they do have moisture settings so  dehumidifying option - it's my first venture into this tech so we'll see.  Need to replace the exit fan either way - with that and the mini splits should be better for moisture controls.

CC's a bitch.

We usually bleach the ceiling once or twice a summer more as a precaution when it gets "that look" like something is about to grow.  Also make sure whoever installs the new bath fan actually calculates the proper CFM.  Most are very undersized for the bath Sq.Ft.  And it's good you know about the makeup air needs... the biggest fart sucker/moisture evacuator won't do shit without it :D  It's a nice 61 degrees in Simsbury this morning

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SouthCoastMA said:

River donkey season, buckle up

Prepping. Getting this sawed up while it's still coolish. Each piece is about 8 ft around. Should keep me busy for a couple of the hot days without having to pick up the saw .

20240703_105233.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Harmonie said:

79 degrees at noon on July 3rd, can't complain too much about that!

You’ll be tested in late March through April while Oklahoma enjoys lovely spring wx and most of us are 40s with misery mist

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Torch Tiger said:

Weeks n weeks n weeks

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Perhaps months n months?

Why don't you two find yourselves a nice cozy sauna? You can sweat together in privacy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

The Sound is warming up quickly. Was too chilly to swim comfortably when I got to the island on Sunday. It's beautiful now. Couple of attractive girls sunbathing topless on a neighbor's dock doesn't hurt either. God I love summer. Happy 4th everyone.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Any of you tree guys know what would be killing pine trees around here?..  I went for a walk at lake Denison today and saw a bunch..

More than likely White Pine Needle Disease or WPND. Although you're apt to see more dead pines near water.

2 minutes ago, kdxken said:

More than likely White Pine Needle Disease or WPND. Although you're apt to see more dead pines near water.

Even on rt2 on some of the hills you see whole areas of them.. it's crazy 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Any of you tree guys know what would be killing pine trees around here?..  I went for a walk at lake Denison today and saw a bunch..

Might be the needle-cast fungi.  They infect the new needles in the spring, then the needles die the following June, leaving only the half-grown new shoots.  One season of that weakens the tree some, but 3 or more consecutive years and the tree is in peril.  White pine needles grow in spring #1 and are fully functional in year #2 before falling in autumn.  Having those older needles drop before the new ones are fully operational in too many years and the tree either runs out of energy or dies from a secondary cause, like insects or decay fungi.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

You’ll be tested in late March through April while Oklahoma enjoys lovely spring wx and most of us are 40s with misery mist

Actually, my favorite type of weather is in the 40s and 50s with overcast skies and mist/drizzle. I know I'm an oddball, but that is delightful weather for me. It couldn't get any better. ^_^ So you're telling me that's how Spring is around here? Now, that's paradise. I hope autumn is similar.

There's one reason I moved out of Oklahoma. Note that in the post you quoted, I said "I can't complain too much about that", that should be read more literally than one might normally. I'd rather it be much cooler, but I acknowledge that it's summer and summer is awful, thus 79 degrees is relatively not horrible. Although I still don't like it, TBH. Admittedly, the little bit of heat acclimation I go through in Summer makes it better than it would be in March or something. (my heat acclimation is a joke, though. Like seriously, I only acclimate to the 70s and lower 80s at best, and not with any sunshine. No sunshine at all. I hate sun.)

Oklahoma's "Spring" can go shove it. 80 degrees in March is god awful. That is misery to me. Nothing makes me more grouchy than hot weather in Winter or early Spring/late Autumn. The whole atmosphere changes from happiness to misery. I don't know how to describe it. But it's a reason I moved away from Oklahoma. The seasons down there are messed up, disorderly. It's hot so long in the year, and even gets far too warm in the middle of winter. I couldn't take it anymore.

8 minutes ago, Harmonie said:

80 degrees in March is god awful. That is misery to me. Nothing makes me more grouchy than hot weather in Winter or early Spring/late Autumn. The whole atmosphere changes from happiness to misery.

You may not like it here much then either…. Morch, Torchtober, Mowvember, etc.

• Haha 1