• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
July 2024 Observations and Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

Hoping the stormy pattern calms down. I'm loving this cooler weather. It feels like FALL outside this morning with overcast skies and temps in the 60s and I LOVE IT, it makes me happy! But as I always said back in Oklahoma: If getting and staying hot stops the severe storms from forming, then I'd rather it just get and stay hot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harmonie said:

Hoping the stormy pattern calms down. I'm loving this cooler weather. It feels like FALL outside this morning with overcast skies and temps in the 60s and I LOVE IT, it makes me happy! But as I always said back in Oklahoma: If getting and staying hot stops the severe storms from forming, then I'd rather it just get and stay hot.

Severe in New England is nothing like what you may have experienced in Oklahoma. generally speaking, you have nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

Severe in New England is nothing like what you may have experienced in Oklahoma. generally speaking, you have nothing to worry about.

You tell me that, but I've only lived here for two weeks and there have already been two reported tornadoes in the region. :blink:

2 hours ago, Harmonie said:

You tell me that, but I've only lived here for two weeks and there have already been two reported tornadoes in the region. :blink:

neither one did any damage aside from knocking over some trees. Seriously, it’s no big deal

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

12 hours ago, Harmonie said:

They are weak spin ups. Severe here is like snow in Savannah. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Beer or whiskey?

I assume this is some kinda inside joke question based off of how off-topic this is and how I've seen it mentioned elsewhere. But... I can only be truthful - I don't drink alcohol. Not at all. I tried it when I turned 21 and I quickly decided it wasn't a taste worth acquiring.

13 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

neither one did any damage aside from knocking over some trees. Seriously, it’s no big deal

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

They are weak spin ups. Severe here is like snow in Savannah. 

A tornado is a tornado. They are all dangerous, and potentially costly.

We had what was potentially nothing more than a spin-up at my house in the summer of 2016. It knocked a tree over on our car.

Last summer we had what I think was called a "derecho" which isn't a tornado, obviously, but was equivalent in damage to a small tornado in a wide area across Tulsa county. It knocked a huge branch on my roof. At first it didn't look like a lot of damage, but it hit a vent over my bathroom and somehow damaged it so badly that we had to pay for a costly repair which included tearing into the wall in my bathroom. D: That stupid storm delayed my move, which was initially supposed to happen last fall or early winter.

Otherwise, I know that bad tornadoes the likes of Oklahoma's bad ones can happen in New England. They may historically be rare, but look at the Springfield, MA tornado that happened just 13 years ago. Any storm, any tornado could potentially evolve into that. The climate is very bizarre as of late with climate change. I see longtime Connecticut residents complaining about how weak and mild the winters have been as of late. It reminds me of how I felt back in Oklahoma. The changes there happened pretty quickly. One summer I saw a high of 70F in December and was like "WHAT?!!!!" and less than 10 years later, 70F days were happening like every other week in winter. A 70F day in the winter is now standard Oklahoma winter weather. (which I hated so much. I need winter to be winter.)

The weather is crazy. We never know what's going to happen. I take every threat seriously, just like I did back in OK.

Also, I may have to correct myself: Were there three reported tornadoes? I was thinking of one near Dublin,NH and then the tornado that started in RI and went up to MA several nights ago. However, I was forgetting the spin-up that happened in Harwinton, CT that happened not long after I got up here. So... THREE? in just TWO WEEKS after moving here? You all can't comfort me much after that, sorry. :wacko:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harmonie said:

I assume this is some kinda inside joke question based off of how off-topic this is and how I've seen it mentioned elsewhere. But... I can only be truthful - I don't drink alcohol. Not at all. I tried it when I turned 21 and I quickly decided it wasn't a taste worth acquiring.

We had what was potentially nothing more than a spin-up at my house in the summer of 2016. It knocked a tree over on our car.

Last summer we had what I think was called a "derecho" which isn't a tornado, obviously, but was equivalent in damage to a small tornado in a wide area across Tulsa county. It knocked a huge branch on my roof. At first it didn't look like a lot of damage, but it hit a vent over my bathroom and somehow damaged it so badly that we had to pay for a costly repair which included tearing into the wall in my bathroom. D: That stupid storm delayed my move, which was initially supposed to happen last fall or early winter.

Otherwise, I know that bad tornadoes the likes of Oklahoma's bad ones can happen in New England. They may historically be rare, but look at the Springfield, MA tornado that happened just 13 years ago. Any storm, any tornado could potentially evolve into that. The climate is very bizarre as of late with climate change. I see longtime Connecticut residents complaining about how weak and mild the winters have been as of late. It reminds me of how I felt back in Oklahoma. The changes there happened pretty quickly. One summer I saw a high of 70F in December and was like "WHAT?!!!!" and less than 10 years later, 70F days were happening like every other week in winter. A 70F day in the winter is now standard Oklahoma winter weather. (which I hated so much. I need winter to be winter.)

The weather is crazy. We never know what's going to happen. I take every threat seriously, just like I did back in OK.

Also, I may have to correct myself: Were there three reported tornadoes? I was thinking of one near Dublin,NH and then the tornado that started in RI and went up to MA several nights ago. However, I was forgetting the spin-up that happened in Harwinton, CT that happened not long after I got up here. So... THREE? in just TWO WEEKS after moving here? You all can't comfort me much after that, sorry. :wacko:

Dude, I’m not even gonna waste my time to explain it. Everybody here will back me up. Severe here is nothing, nothing like it is in Oklahoma. You are going to laugh at it when several of these posters are out chasing rotted limbs falling on their Prius.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Harmonie said:

whatever you do, please don’t base your fears on the hype that you read here. Things rarely pan out they way that they are hyped on here. and I’m talking all types of weather, not just summer. The hype is very, very, very rarely realized 

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, Harmonie said:

You didn't move far north enough.

9 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

whatever you do, please don’t base your fears on the hype that you read here. Things rarely pan out they way that they are hyped on here. and I’m talking all types of weather, not just summer. The hype is very, very, very rarely realized 

Watch us get a hurricane this year.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I think most folks here know this is the year. Most have admitted one is coming 

You say that every year. But weirdly I kind of agree. It's been a while and everything seems in place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Harmonie said:

As said, severe here is nothing lime Oklahoma or the Great Plains. I see you live in Connecticut. Connecticut averages about 1.5 tornadoes per year and all are relatively weak and short-lived. The last major tornado in the state was July 10, 1989 when an F4 tornado impacted an area from Hamden to North Haven. We have had several events over the years produce multiple tornadoes, but again all weak and generally short-lived. 

In terms of hail and straight-line wind damage, it is usually not high impact. For the most part, the largest hail we will get is anywhere between 1.00-1.50'' in diameter and every now and then you'll get a golf ball report but that is rather infrequent. For straight-line winds, generally the highest is in the 50-60 mph range. The bigger issue is we have weak trees and lots of overgrown trees so power outages can become a concern. 

Outside of Wednesday, the last major severe weather event to impact the state was August 2020 and prior to that was 5/15/2018. High-end severe here is very rare. We just have so many trees, weak and rotted, and many properties have trees in close proximity to houses. 

2 minutes ago, kdxken said:

You say that every year. But weirdly I kind of agree. It's been a while and everything seems in place.

This is what I mean. Yes I say it most years. But this year I truly believe and mean it. And most do too . Let’s bring her home friend 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This is what I mean. Yes I say it most years. But this year I truly believe and mean it. And most do too . Let’s bring her home friend 

so I have to ask, who are the “most”? who are the people saying that New England is getting a hurricane this year? other than you and your kitty cat friend in Billerica?

18 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

so I have to ask, who are the “most”? who are the people saying that New England is getting a hurricane this year? other than you and your kitty cat friend in Billerica?

He is you and you is him. Slim With the tilted brim .. what’s my Mofo ing name?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

As said, severe here is nothing lime Oklahoma or the Great Plains. I see you live in Connecticut. Connecticut averages about 1.5 tornadoes per year and all are relatively weak and short-lived. The last major tornado in the state was July 10, 1989 when an F4 tornado impacted an area from Hamden to North Haven. We have had several events over the years produce multiple tornadoes, but again all weak and generally short-lived. 

In terms of hail and straight-line wind damage, it is usually not high impact. For the most part, the largest hail we will get is anywhere between 1.00-1.50'' in diameter and every now and then you'll get a golf ball report but that is rather infrequent. For straight-line winds, generally the highest is in the 50-60 mph range. The bigger issue is we have weak trees and lots of overgrown trees so power outages can become a concern. 

Outside of Wednesday, the last major severe weather event to impact the state was August 2020 and prior to that was 5/15/2018. High-end severe here is very rare. We just have so many trees, weak and rotted, and many properties have trees in close proximity to houses. 

Which is why I wholeheartedly believe that another Gloria type event would be legitimately catastrophic here in CT. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I have to say…I agree. It’s not just that statistically the more active a season is the more likely our always low odds are higher, it’s the steering pattern that I expect to play out because of the expected CONUS summer. Particularly August and September. 

I don’t think it’s like last year where there were possible windows because of so many GL troughs cutting off. I think if there’s a window it’s late July to mid August as something rides the edge of an Atlantic ridge, or mid to late September (but probably earlier in that period) when we can get something in the western Caribbean shunted north off an approaching trough while the Atlantic ridge is still a prominent factor in our wx. 

Of course odds are always low yada yada but we’ve been fairly active the last half decade. 

jrqAMji.png

• Like 1