• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Hurricane Beryl - Hurricane Warning - Baffin Bay to San Luis Pass Texas

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Interesting note from recon, they observed paint drying out in the Gulf while looking for significant signs of intensification within Beryl's inner core.

Easy to do with a 58 mile wide ragged eye. It’s even larger than it was earlier. :lol: 

1 minute ago, GaWx said:

Down to 985.5 mb (extrapolated) at 5:55PM CDT at 27.0N, 95.7W per recon.

It would now need to come due N or even NNE to landfall Galveston.  As spread out as it is, the island would max out on winds with a landfall nearer Port Jackson, though even that requires a turn due N almost immediately.  Sargent seems as good a place as any for landfall.  I suspect it does start to deepen quickly, but it has enough time to get low end Cat 2, looking at HWRF, which shows the upper bound.  HAFS have ot on the brink of Cat 1.  Minimal Cat 1 is probably the way to go.  There'll be flooding, but not as bad as Imelda or beta, or even close to Alison or Harvey.

hafsb_mslp_wind_02L_5.png

Flooding Yes But Texas has seen worse.png

• Thanks 1

Despite being on the cusp of hurricane status again I totally agree. Too broad, too much time mixing out dry air, not much time left. 

Gradual is the word of the day. Only thing to watch however is that conditions improve all the way to the coast. 

UNDH29o.png

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Despite being on the cusp of hurricane status again I totally agree. Too broad, too much time mixing out dry air, not much time left. 

Gradual is the word of the day. Only thing to watch however is that conditions improve all the way to the coast. 

UNDH29o.png

The improving conditions is my only shot at this hitting 95MPH.

Tropical Storm Beryl Intermediate Advisory Number 37A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL022024
700 PM CDT Sun Jul 07 2024

...HURRICANE HUNTERS FIND BERYL SLIGHTLY STRONGER...
...DANGEROUS STORM SURGE, FLASH FLOODING, AND STRONG WINDS EXPECTED 
OVERNIGHT IN PORTIONS OF TEXAS...

SUMMARY OF 700 PM CDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...27.1N 95.6W
ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM SSE OF MATAGORDA TEXAS
ABOUT 120 MI...195 KM ESE OF CORPUS CHRISTI TEXAS
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...70 MPH...110 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 340 DEGREES AT 12 MPH...19 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...987 MB...29.15 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

The Hurricane Warning south of Port Aransas has been changed to a 
Tropical Storm Warning.

The Storm Surge Warning south of Port Aransas, including Corpus 
Christi Bay, has been discontinued.

The Tropical Storm Warning south of Port Mansfield has been 
discontinued.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That and an east slide.   One thing I’m watching…….the storm is due south of Houston and intensifying.  The trough is digging and will start to influence beryl.  I’m not seeing this getting far enough west to matagorda from its current position 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I feel like we keep saying this, but this is the best it has looked. Almost a fully closed eye and lightning starting (maybe) to show up in the northern eyewall.

12 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The upper level outflow is beautiful.  If Beryl had a tight and moist inner core, it would be cranking.

Yep. We’re likely to avoid a real disaster. 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91d700qmhg6y6u8s5st4

10 minutes ago, Normandy said:

That and an east slide.   One thing I’m watching…….the storm is due south of Houston and intensifying.  The trough is digging and will start to influence beryl.  I’m not seeing this getting far enough west to matagorda from its current position 

I’m not sure it’s going to ride due north the next ~9 hours, but wobbles of course always matter in these final hours.

tnptyil.png

We would need to see persistent intense CBs in the core, and that just hasn't occurred yet. Beryl is gradually improving but still lacks a well-formed eyewall. Good news so far to mitigate wind and surge. We're within the 12-hour window from landfall. Unless there is a rapid change in core convection, a Cat 2 is looking less likely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also NNE if previous fix.  Have to watch closely over the next few hours.  This might be feeling the trough more than expected (which is great for Houston if true)

14 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

983.7  extr last pass

recon_NOAA3-3002A-BERYL_zoom.png

That’s down ~2 mb from an extrap pass 1.5 hours earlier. If this slow rate of fall were to persist through the projected time of landfall, that would still mean a further drop of 10 mb well down into the 970s. But with the broad center, I’m thinking it may need to get below 970 mb to have a shot at cat 2.

At least on IR satellite the shape resembles having an eye:

https://col.st/Y7YNB
Subsidence helps to clear out an eye feature, but if you analyze the current structure of the core, you'll see the broad structure remains. Note the area of 50 kt + 2-km winds away in the NE quadrant. Shallow convection is too slow in process to force the contraction of the vortex and RMWs in the small window of time. We need to see explosive deep convection ASAP to drive rapid pressure falls and create a sink for contraction. (Image Source: Lidar from the LROSE project @ CSU)
7958613540629623aa04be2c5ce4e2cf.jpg
  • Thanks 2

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/dlmmain.php?&basin=atlantic&sat=wg8&prod=dlm3&zoom=&time=

The stronger this storm gets the more its going to be pushed NNE.  the slowdown and due north center fix is interesting and might indicate this might be happening.  Seeing zero gains longitudinally now and still due south of houston.  gotta keep watching.

Additionally, looks like we got a big meso on the south side again.  lets see what happens as it rotates around.

The surface pressure is the same as it was six hours ago.  The radar presentation continues to look pretty disheveled.  As has been the case all day, a pocket of modest convection will pop up within the core, but as it rotates around, it dries up.... rinse, repeat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The surface pressure is the same as it was six hours ago.

Was the last dropsonde at 988? If so, do you know when that was?