• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Hurricane Beryl - Hurricane Warning - Baffin Bay to San Luis Pass Texas

3 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

also it's kinda crazy how far south this is right?  It'll be moving not too far offshore of coastal Guyana and Venezuela lol

I don't recall there being a hurricane in this far south location since Ivan in '04.  It doesn't happen often.  The vast majority of storms that form in the MDR lift northward away from 10N pretty quickly as they organize.

• Like 2

Interesting run of the Icon coming in right now. Obviously it's initializing way too high at 1004 mb but by the time it hits the islands it's down to 989 and then it continues to intensify all the way through the eastern Caribbean to where it's at 971 just south of Jamaica in 72 hours. The massive takeaway from that is it's forecasting an extremely conducive environment for the next 3 days...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

also it's kinda crazy how far south this is right?  It'll be moving not too far offshore of coastal Guyana and Venezuela lol

I was thinking that too. An onlooker in Suriname can probably see the cloud canopy rotating toward the east with ease. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Interesting run of the Icon coming in right now. Obviously it's initializing way too high at 1004 mb but by the time it hits the islands it's down to 989 and then it continues to intensify all the way through the eastern Caribbean to where it's at 971 just south of Jamaica in 72 hours. The massive takeaway from that is it's forecasting an extremely conducive environment for the next 3 days...

Yep. And if it can fight off shear in the western Caribbean, look out. I get a bad feeling it’ll find a weakness in the ridge to the north but one thing at a time for now I suppose. 

6 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

Yep. And if it can fight off shear in the western Caribbean, look out. I get a bad feeling it’ll find a weakness in the ridge to the north but one thing at a time for now I suppose. 

Intense hurricanes often create their own weather nearby, impacting shear. Additionally annular hurricanes require light shear to enter a sustained category 5 state. Will be interesting to watch it in this over the next few days to see how the storm and shear interact.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Normandy said:

Just wait till tonight when we see the first June cat 5 ever.  Special special storm that will be talked about forever

I’m still skeptical that Beryl will achieve cat 5 intensity, certainly possible but one EWRC would torpedo those chances. Frankly I think that could actually be worse, since the storm would expand appreciably.

8 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

First June Cat 4 EVER.  damn.

Beryl is also the first Cat 4 in the tropical Atlantic (east of the Caribbean) in June OR July.

Previous earliest was Allen, which obtained Cat 4 status on August 4, 1980.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 3

37 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

Location, location, location 

Beryl and 96L were given a tremendous runway by virtue of coming off Africa pretty far south and being embedded in the monsoon trough. Even a few degrees further north and it’s a much different story. Makes this all the more extraordinary. 

at6vBBf.png

https://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/sal/g16split/movies/goes16split.html

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Caveat: this was a very quick glance so some of the numbers might be a bit off. But I believe the overall notion is correct.

Looking at today's 06z runs vs recon data, it appears like the euro is too weak compared to what recon is seeing:

From the 06z models (from 12z output) ---

• Euro -  999 mb @ 55 surface kts.
  • GFS - 978 mb @ 113 surface kts.
  • Recon (at 13:22z) - 974 mb @ 113 surface kts

IMO that's a fairly large discrepancy. I would think this delta between initialized param vs measured param could have a pretty significant on storm track. Mainly, Beryl moving north quicker than euro shows. 

Will be interesting to see how the euro changes on the 12z run assuming this measured data is used for initialization.

Anyone see any errors or invalid assumptions in my logic?

16 minutes ago, NeffsvilleWx said:

Caveat: this was a very quick glance so some of the numbers might be a bit off. But I believe the overall notion is correct.

Looking at today's 06z runs vs recon data, it appears like the euro is too weak compared to what recon is seeing:

From the 06z models (from 12z output) ---

• Euro -  999 mb @ 55 surface kts.
  • GFS - 978 mb @ 113 surface kts.
  • Recon (at 13:22z) - 974 mb @ 113 surface kts

IMO that's a fairly large discrepancy. I would think this delta between initialized param vs measured param could have a pretty significant on storm track. Mainly, Beryl moving north quicker than euro shows. 

Will be interesting to see how the euro changes on the 12z run assuming this measured data is used for initialization.

Anyone see any errors or invalid assumptions in my logic?

113 knots is roughly 130 miles per hour.

On the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale, a Category 4 hurricane has sustained winds of 130–156 miles per hour (mph). These winds are considered extremely dangerous and can cause catastrophic damage, including:

Structural damage: Well-built homes can sustain severe damage, with loss of most of the roof structure and/or some exterior walls. Unanchored structures can be completely destroyed, and extensive damage is likely to doors and windows.

Tree damage: Most trees will be snapped or uprooted.

Power outages: Power outages can last weeks to possibly months, leaving most of the area uninhabitable for weeks or months. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

That’s a mistake. This is going to be a weakened mess later on. I do not believe this makes another landfall as a hurricane. Cannot imagine missing a high end impact after he missed Otis. 

Island roulette is tricky business though. Any wobble especially on a smaller storm like this and you’re flying out for TS winds.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Island roulette is tricky business though. Any wobble especially on a smaller storm like this and you’re flying out for TS winds.

i mean he built a hurricane resistant house in MS - maybe he should invest in a "hurricane-resistant" boat to puncture these storms over the open water lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 4