• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Hurricane Beryl - Hurricane Warning - Baffin Bay to San Luis Pass Texas

Pretty satisfied with my call...I think being an hour too slow with landfall at Matagorda cost me that 15 MPH between forecast landfall intensity and actual.

Hurricane Beryl Well Forecast Overall

Landfall Locale Perfectly Predicted While Intensity Slightly Overestimated

The Eastern Mass Weather Final Call for Hurricane Beryl was for a landfall in Matagorda, TX at approximately 6 AM EDT Monday as a category one hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 95 MPH.

AVvXsEgXJ5S3PC0X4tOTGF39-wWkAo4SMeZvqKR-

Beryl made landfall in Matagorda, TX at 5 AM EDT as a category one hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 80 MPH and a minimum central pressure of 979 MB. 

AVvXsEjtbp8Wo1A8y4zV_R9NzLQ8QgUe_Uv03UWF

Obviously the forecast landfall location was perfect, as it made landfall at Matagorda one hour ahead of schedule. However, the landfall intensity left a bit to be desired, as it ended up being too aggressive at 95 MPH maximum sustained winds as opposed to the landfall intensity of 80 MPH. This is due to the fact that it simply did not have quite as much time to work the dry air out of the circulation as anticipated. Thus while the general forecast philosophy that Beryl would remain a minimal hurricane due to this environmental limitation was correct overall, the fact that it moved slightly faster than anticipated likely made the difference between the 80 and 95 MPH landfall intensity respectively since it had begun intensifying rapidly at landfall.
Timing is everything with a rapidly intensifying system-

Final Grade: A-

• Like 13

11 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Nailed the track, but too strong (95 vs 80 MPH), as suspected.

Meh.

If this thing had another 12-24 hours....woof.

I am with you. Track was more or less exactly where I thought.. however, I seemed to have significantly overestimated the top winds. 

That withstanding, I would argue that I - you especially- was not quite as far off as it would look. The energy within this storm was quite impressive and had this tightened up just a bit more, Cat 2 would have been easily hit, perhaps even high end Cat 2. As you said, 12 more hours and well... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Amped said:

Seems to always happen with fast moving systems. IKE produced lots of 70mph+ gusts in PA and OH

Was Beryl considered to be 'fast moving'? Afaik, the storm was only going about 10 mph when it hit the coast.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gymengineer said:

That remnant eyewall is *still* producing gusts above 80 mph about 100 miles inland (Conroe) via the latest NHC position update. 

4 hours ago, Normandy said:

I think the upper dynamics are so incredible that’s it’s basically turning this system into an inland hurricane.  Family in Houston still can’t go outside because the winds are so strong 

This seems to be happening quite frequently with a good bit of these landfalling GOM storms. 

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Pretty satisfied with my call...I think being an hour too slow with landfall at Matagorda cost me that 15 MPH between forecast landfall intensity and actual.

Hurricane Beryl Well Forecast Overall

Landfall Locale Perfectly Predicted While Intensity Slightly Overestimated

The Eastern Mass Weather Final Call for Hurricane Beryl was for a landfall in Matagorda, TX at approximately 6 AM EDT Monday as a category one hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 95 MPH.

AVvXsEgXJ5S3PC0X4tOTGF39-wWkAo4SMeZvqKR-

Beryl made landfall in Matagorda, TX at 5 AM EDT as a category one hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 80 MPH and a minimum central pressure of 979 MB. 

AVvXsEjtbp8Wo1A8y4zV_R9NzLQ8QgUe_Uv03UWF

Obviously the forecast landfall location was perfect, as it made landfall at Matagorda one hour ahead of schedule. However, the landfall intensity left a bit to be desired, as it ended up being too aggressive at 95 MPH maximum sustained winds as opposed to the landfall intensity of 80 MPH. This is due to the fact that it simply did not have quite as much time to work the dry air out of the circulation as anticipated. Thus while the general forecast philosophy that Beryl would remain a minimal hurricane due to this environmental limitation was correct overall, the fact that it moved slightly faster than anticipated likely made the difference between the 80 and 95 MPH landfall intensity respectively since it had begun intensifying rapidly at landfall.
Timing is everything with a rapidly intensifying system-

Final Grade: A-

Benchmark, snowstorms in the SNE are not the only thing you are good at forecasting! Wow, tropical storms too! Excellent job!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Windspeed said:

Multi-model ensemble tracks for the 95L/Beryl from onset to final landfall.

https://x.com/burgwx/status/1810425710223483086?t=ZBTiQmbgg0oO73E-KiNHvw&s=19

It isn’t included in these but the ICON was best of the more respected globals with the W GOM landfall in C TX. This goes back to the 12Z 6/30 run into Galveston! It then had runs up into LA or near the TX/LA border as late as the 6Z on 7/3, which weren’t good. However, starting on 12Z 7/3 (when ICON hit C TX while GFS, Euro, CMC, and UKMET were into NE MX) onward ICON was always between Galveston and Corpus. So, major kudos! CMC wasn’t consistently TX til 0Z of 7/6. UKMET wasn’t til 12Z of 7/5. Euro/GFS wasn’t til 0Z of 7/5.

(ICON also did well with Ian for FL and SC landfalls (2nd best to UKMET)).

JMA gets a well deserved honorable mention as it was similar to the ICON with its 12Z 6/30 run and had several more runs (12Z runs on 6/2, 3, 4) into Galveston followed by 6/5-6 at CC. Actual landfall wasn’t up at upper TX coast but still the 6/30 and 7/2-4 JMA runs into Galveston were much closer to actual landfall than GFS/Euro/UKMET then. Only the ICON was overall about as close.

So, my ratings of globals for W GOM portion of track:

Best: ICON and JMA

Next best but not close: GFS/Euro

Further back: UKMET

Worst: CMC

• Like 2

4 hours ago, etudiant said:

Was Beryl considered to be 'fast moving'? Afaik, the storm was only going about 10 mph when it hit the coast.

I did think it was moving faster for some reason. Anyway the winds didn't make it too far inland. Looks likes they've died down considerably.

7 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

There were reported wind gusts in Houston that are much higher than what the map depicts. Both Houston airports recorded 80 plus MPH gusts. Maybe the map is in Knots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Metasequoia said:

There were reported wind gusts in Houston that are much higher than what the map depicts. Both Houston airports recorded 80 plus MPH gusts. Maybe the map is in Knots.

Good catch. Hagen pointed it out so maybe we get a new map. I like the layout.

10 hours ago, Windspeed said:

Multi-model ensemble tracks for the 95L/Beryl from onset to final landfall.

https://x.com/burgwx/status/1810425710223483086?t=ZBTiQmbgg0oO73E-KiNHvw&s=19

Overall models in regard to track was excellent .... intensity forecast was okay just a bit off the charts Islands to Jamaica in regard to extreme intensity and how long it took to weaken down near Jamica and Grand Cayman.

12 hours ago, canderson said:

Parents have a 6.5” rain gauge. It overflowed an hour ago and it’s still raining over them in East Texas. Can’t reminder a storm hitting the gulf that caused so many problems in NE TX. 

I ended up with 1" on Sunday and 5.25" yesterday on the north side of Longview. The tornado warnings yesterday were something else.

• Like 1