• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Hurricane Beryl - Hurricane Warning - Baffin Bay to San Luis Pass Texas

The 12Z Euro is significantly NE of the 6Z’s CC landfall with it going ashore about dead-on mid TX coast. Also, it is much stronger at 971 mb vs 989 mb at 6Z!

Those old ICON and JMA runs into Galveston are looking more realistic. There were a good number of runs of these two models in that vicinity.

Example: ICON 12Z 6/30 run: (the 12Z 6/30 JMA was actually similar!)

IMG_9878.thumb.png.b87a6dbb1014823ece08c3b2e3b76496.png

12Z 6/30 JMA:

IMG_9879.thumb.png.b85190e69d6b8ab4fb8a2e01a001efd0.png

• Like 5

Hurricane models are showing it takes at least 48hrs before any signifigant deepening resumes.  How strong it gets may depend on how long it avoids landfall. Most likely it gets back to a cat1 or cat2.

11 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I still think Corpus Christi is favored but honestly these north trends are significant. 

Hurricane models at 12z are split on how much Beryl recovers in the Gulf. 

Both HAFS's are losing where Beryl's center is this afternoon and are fixing on a "false" center of circulation north of the Yucatan peninsula by hour-6 during the run. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1PM CDT: Beryl as expected downgraded to a TS/986 mb:

NHC 1:00 PM CDT Fri Jul 5
Moving: WNW at 15 mph
Min pressure: 986 mb
Max sustained: 70 mph

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

Both HAFS's are losing where Beryl's center is this afternoon and are fixing on a "false" center of circulation north of the Yucatan peninsula by hour-6 during the run. 

This is exactly why I’m hedging my bets and not buying a rapid reintensification and a more northerly track just yet 

• Confused 2

Just now, Chargers09 said:

This is exactly why I’m hedging my bets and not buying a rapid reintensification and a more northerly track just yet 

I think that was a glitch, not representing reality. Hr-6 is right now- Beryl did not relocate to north of the Yucatan in the past 6 hours. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think its time for one of your patented "Jeb Walks"......particularly one that takes you in the opposite direction from your keyboard.

I might take your advice.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think a healthy cat 1 is a good bet.

Respectfully, I think SE Texas should prepare for a major hurricane. I pray I'm wrong but.. That core is relatively in tact and it moved over less land than initially thought. Combine that with very warm waters and South Texas really needs to be on alert.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think a healthy cat 1 is a good bet.

Importantly, strengthening upon final approach. For the Texas crew following along, that’s far more impactful than if this were weakening as it did reaching the Yucatán. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Importantly, strengthening upon final approach. For the Texas crew following along, that’s far more impactful than if this were weakening as it did reaching the Yucatán. 

Remember Erin and Katrina in FL ...came in as intensifying cat 1's and damage looked more like cat 2. Intensifying systems more proficiently mix down stronger wind gusts. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Respectfully, I think SE Texas should prepare for a major hurricane. I pray I'm wrong but.. That core is relatively in tact and it moved over less land than initially thought. Combine that with very warm waters and South Texas really needs to be on alert.

Should always be prepared for the worst, so sound advice.

• Like 1

Call me crazy and I know the models aren’t showing it but I hope the folks in Louisiana aren’t turning off their TVs just yet. It’s getting closer but still far enough out this can shift further east, and well more so make the turn north before getting to the Texas coast.

Eye is finally gone but satellite still shows a fairly organized low which is getting close enough to open water to probably not weaken much more.  If it hits water now, it still looks like it might have enough organization to need less than the expected day to organize enough to start deepening again.

The difference between TCHP and SST pops up if something like the HWRF crawling offshore comes close to happening.  The width off the offshore shallow water widens heading N on the Texas Coast from Deep South Texas.  Data buoy 22 nm E of Galveston is cycling between 87 and 90°F, but the water is only 16 meters deep there.  A faster storm wouldn't have much time to upwell that much, a slower system will react to the warm water being churned.  That larger shallow water, OTOH, adds to surge.

Bathymetric-map-of-the-western-Gulf-of-Mexico-highlighting-the-bathymetry-of-the-study.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't forget the two 2020 Greek storms that did this same thing. Delta went over the Yucatan and weakened to a cat 1, Zeta went over the Yucatan and weakened to a tropical storm, and both made landfall in Louisiana as major hurricanes...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dbullsfan said:

Call me crazy and I know the models aren’t showing it but I hope the folks in Louisiana aren’t turning off their TVs just yet. It’s getting closer but still far enough out this can shift further east, and well more so make the turn north before getting to the Texas coast.

I was just saying that to my buddy in college station.  I said get ready but it may trend east.  

46 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Don't forget the two 2020 Greek storms that did this same thing. Delta went over the Yucatan and weakened to a cat 1, Zeta went over the Yucatan and weakened to a tropical storm, and both made landfall in Louisiana as major hurricanes...

Delta was only a Cat 2 when it came ashore, it did make it up to 105-110 kt cat 3 again though if I remember correctly, but it unraveled a bit before landfall