• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Hurricane Beryl - Hurricane Warning - Baffin Bay to San Luis Pass Texas

Dry air is close enough to Beryl's NW that an outflow boundary is moving away from Beryl.  EDIT TO ADD.  Radar shows the eywall is moving onshore in the peninsula SW of Kingston/near Maypen.  Kingston should have missed the eyewall.

May not even get close to hurricane force winds.  https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/weather/current/MKJP.html 

MKJP 031812Z 08023G41KT 5000 RA VCSH SCT018 BKN020CB OVC100 27/25 Q1004

8 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It has certainly weakened from peak, but it’s really something how resilient this has been.

ZdNws44.png

7Ehgn2g.jpeg

And it may be even strengthening a bit. IR showing warming eye.

Sheesh, talk about a close shave. The outside of the eyewall is going to shave the small peninsula, but unless there is a jog north, the shoreline is going to miss the worst 10m winds of Beryl. Granted, there may still be higher wind gusts up on the ridges and higher elevations within the circulation.87a30f99e87fd281d34bf16af073a7e2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, GaWx said:

The Kingston webcams show that rain and wind have increased substantially the last hour for quite the stormy afternoon. Keep in mind that Kingston is 75 miles NE of the center, nowhere near the core:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h0E93nmFO1A

I don't know how to get more than once an hour obs from Kingston, and I'm not sure if the hurricane force 58 knot gust was the highest recorded that hour.  Airport, like many, is close to the ocean, gusts in the city may not be that high, but no reason to think the hills N and E of the city.  EDIT  I don't see a distance scale, but that runway is 2.7 km per Wiki, or the increase in elevation in short distances on the E side of the city is large.

elevationKingston.png

The worst of Beryl still remains just offshore. Again, hopefully, no sudden jogs to the north that would get the inside of the eyewall over the southern Jamaican shoreline, as Beryl's northern eyewall looks quite nasty. I should stress, I am referring to the 10m wind at sea level.

Edit: As before, I stress that wind gusts in the higher elevations along the ridges of the Blue Mountains may still be experiencing extreme hurricane force gusts due to their altitude within the northern circulation.
0c7f77fd8d54fc36ac7b969f1211fd2a.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

The worst of Beryl still remains just offshore. Again, hopefully, no sudden jogs to the north that would get the inside of the eyewall over the southern Jamaican shoreline, as Beryl's northern eyewall looks quite nasty.

There was a period when the eyewall was onshore (see pic), but a westward jog moved it back offshore. NHC is still saying a WNW motion, so we'll see what the next hour or two brings. 

Screenshot 2024-07-03 161540.gif

There was a period when the eyewall was onshore (see pic), but a westward jog moved it back offshore. NHC is still saying a WNW motion, so we'll see what the next hour or two brings. 
376442757_Screenshot2024-07-03161540.gif.6166a3ce344945608452ce8b059f78ae.gif
Yes, the tip of the peninsula. But that is mostly a coastal reserve down to Portland Point. The closest communities of Shearer's Heights near Portland, Rocky Point, etc., may have just missed the inner periphery of the northern eyewall on that closest pass, just based on radar observation. It was definitely too close for comfort, however.ce1725e4661d11e9f718257d961f906e.jpg
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, lee59 said:

Nasty conditions in KIngston but so far it seems they are taking it ok.

See my post about very steep terrain, several hundred meters elevation change in about a 1 km distance in the hills not far N and E of the city center.  I suspect that is where many of the poor live.  The gusts at 200 or 300 meters will be rough.  Inland will see very heavy rain.

From NHC at 5 PM: 

...EYEWALL OF BERYL BRUSHING THE SOUTH COAST OF JAMAICA 
WITH HURRICANE CONDITIONS OCCURRING...
...THE HURRICANE IS EXPECTED TO APPROACH THE CAYMAN ISLANDS TONIGHT
INTO THURSDAY AND THE YUCATAN PENINSULA THURSDAY NIGHT...

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...17.5N 77.6W
ABOUT 65 MI...100 KM WSW OF KINGSTON JAMAICA
ABOUT 265 MI...430 KM ESE OF GRAND CAYMAN
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...140 MPH...220 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 285 DEGREES AT 20 MPH...31 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...959 MB...28.32 INCHES
Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 45 miles (75 km) from the
center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 185 miles
(295 km). Kingston, Jamaica, recently reported sustained winds of 
48 mph (78 km/h) and a wind gust of 81 mph (130 km/h).

The uplift on the mountains in the central and western part of Jamaica must be incredible right now.  

I know the mountains are further from the coast, but this has to have some effect on the overall circulation and structure inflow and outflow from the center to some degree.   The flooding in the mountains is very likely really bad to catastrophic currently.