• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Hurricane Beryl - Hurricane Warning - Baffin Bay to San Luis Pass Texas

I have a more theory based question I’d love to hear some expert opinions on. So we know that the positioning of upper level features can help or hinder a hurricane. These effects are based on the movement of upper level air masses on their periphery, which can induce mid-level shear which either ventilates the storm or tears it apart.

My question is, beyond core disruption, does the kinetic energy of these masses of air and their circulations interacting with one another provide any energy to the system, or is that not meaningful given the scale of force present in the core?
Depends on the level and strength of the flow versus the steering layer and the storm structure. Strong wind flow above 300 hPa level can ventilate a core versus any shear hindrance if the steering motion is similar. If the upper flow is below that, it may tilt the vortex column negatively. Likewise, opposing upper level flow against storm motion, even above 300 hPa level will affect the core negatively to the point the vortex will be disrupted. We have seen trough-influenced hurricanes embedded within shear intensify rapidly regardless of vortex tilt due to mass divergence aloft and ventilation overcoming shear. In Beryl's case, it will face opposing upper level flow versus its steering flow at some point tomorrow into the middle of the week. We would assume a weakening trend, but Beryl is a well-developed TC. Perhaps it can counter that somewhat; though most likely, it will not. At least climatology says it will not. We'll just have to see how the TUTT evolves and then how any resulting ULL that may form out ahead of Beryl evolves. If it closes off at a further distance from the TC, it may lessen shear and enhance ventilation. However, if that ULL is too close or the TUTT is placed over Beryl, most likely, the hurricane will weaken significantly. Furthermore, if the TUTTs flow is too deep into the mid levels (500-400 hPa), it most certainly will disrupt the core faster.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

We were most likely too close to the 11PM AST advisory package for the need of a special update. But I do anticipate an upgrade to at least 160 now in the advisory, perhaps even 165, as that would be supported by recon data conservatively.

• Like 4

Just now, pazzo83 said:

the first 'cane of the season growing to a Cat 5 in absolutely absurd, unprecedented fashion is an ominous start for sure

First hurricane, on July 1, in this part of the basin. It’s already extraordinary but that feat would be astonishingly impressive. 

• Like 6

Beryl is now the first category five hurricane of the 2024 Atlantic hurricane season. 

11:00 PM AST Mon Jul 1
Moving: WNW at 22 mph
Min pressure: 938 mb
Max sustained: 160 mph

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe9119mds72udvh9k3tc2v

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

Gaining nice latitude creating some separation from the dry air source region in South America too…

always seems like the real monster ones either seek out or create their own favorable environments

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

Major hurricane through Kingston and the south coast of Jamaica? Oof. 

025202_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Right front quadrant of a Cat 5 hurricane may impact eastern Jamaica. Hopefully not though.

Why hasn't Windspeed been red-tagged as a full-on Meteorologist?

Get Windspeed a red tag NOW.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Ivan.

Did Ivan technically landfall? Time has made it fuzzy for me but I thought it sort of paralleled the coast

30 minutes ago, jrips27 said:

29d8ff1a781a124f7d91873cd3d5a8f5.jpg

145 kts = 171 mph.

Look, I dont want this. I never, EVER want to see a hurricane like this for real, but could this thing reach 200 mph?

I know this is a super anomalous season with above norm SSTs, but that would be beyond ridiculous. In early July. In the ECARIB, for gollys sakes.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Tezeta said:

Did Ivan technically landfall? Time has made it fuzzy for me but I thought it sort of paralleled the coast

Nevermind yes, looked like it stayed barely off the coast. Otherwise it probably would've been another Gilbert for them.