-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...12.4N 61.3W
ABOUT 35 MI...55 KM NE OF GRENADA
ABOUT 15 MI...25 KM ESE OF CARRIACOU ISLAND
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...140 MPH...220 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 285 DEGREES AT 20 MPH...31 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...956 MB...28.23 INCHES

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Looks less menacing for the US in the longer term, but far too early to write it off.

I have to wait to near 11 am CDT to see GFS, and I have an appointment, off to the shower, but if the 12Z models confirm the 0Z models, I think while nobody can't rule out the odd ensemble member that comes at Texas or Louisiana as a strong hurricane, the odds are quite remote.  Some people seem to see the GFS 30 minutes before I do and the Euro more than an hour earlier.

I also think the NHC forecast of a hurricane into the Yucatan is being on the side of caution.  Jamaica, I think might be a hurricane, might not.  It is good watches are up already there.  They might get lucky on the winds, but they might not.  Never been there, a James Bond movie from before I was born suggests some terrain which would enhance rainfall.

2 minutes ago, Amped said:

Latest recon pass is nuts. Hope that's an error.

High rainfall rate, it could be an error but perhaps not

The SFMR performance is highly reliable at hurricane-force wind speeds, but accuracy is found to degrade at weaker wind speeds, particularly in heavy precipitation. Specifically, a significant overestimation of surface wind speeds is found in these conditions, suggesting inaccurate accounting for the impact of rain on the measured microwave brightness temperature.”

https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/atot/31/11/jtech-d-14-00028_1.xml

We’ve also seen instances where SFMR are discounted at extremely high speeds, or found to be more instantaneous than sustained. Not saying that’s the case here but we’ve seen it before on our high end storms. 

Everybody on deck

Hurricane Beryl Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL022024
1110 AM AST Mon Jul 1 2024

...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY 4 BERYL MAKES LANDFALL ON CARRIACOU 
ISLAND...
...AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT FINDS BERYL STRONGER...

Satellite imagery and Barbados radar data indicate that the eye of 
Beryl has made landfall on Carriacou Island at 1110 AM AST (1510 
UTC). Data from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft 
indicate that Beryl's maximum sustained winds have increased to 150 
mph (240 km/h). The latest minimum central pressure estimated from 
reconnaissance data is 950 mb (28.05 inches).

SUMMARY OF 1110 AM AST...1510 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...12.5N 61.5W
ABOUT 0 MI...0 KM S OF CARRIACOU ISLAND
ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM NNE OF GRENADA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...150 MPH...240 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 285 DEGREES AT 20 MPH...31 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...950 MB...28.05 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Reinhart/Kelly/Cangialosi

8 minutes ago, Random Chaos said:

A radar picture to remember this storm by:

IMG_3762.jpeg

Highest winds likely on union Island. Even Canouan got a bit of the core with the larger eye. Surge up into Clifton harbor. Obviously near peak winds on Carricou as well.

11 hours ago, GaWx said:

As expected they just canceled the planned 7/3 stop in Jamaica. However, somewhat to my surprise they kept the 7/2 stop in Grand Cayman. I thought they’d probably also cancel that to be extra conservative to at least stay far enough away from higher waves. So, they’ll be in Cozumel on 7/1, GC on 7/2, and have an extra day at sea on 7/3.

They'd go north up and around Cuba after the stop in Cayman. Still plenty of time to get out of there and still have a smooth ride for passengers.

• Thanks 1

Thankfully it is moving along at a pretty fast clip of 20 mph thus shortening the duration of effects on the Windwards somewhat vs what would have occurred with slower movement.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Thankfully it is moving along at a pretty fast clip of 20 mph thus shortening the duration of effects on the Windwards somewhat vs what would have occurred with slower movement.

6mb drop between passes and it was at 150mph......question is did that represent the winds had already caught up to pressure falls or do we see this make a run a cat 5?

IMO there’s evidence this is already at cat 5. Radar, flight data, and satellite could all be used to say this is a 5. It’d close. I don’t think it’s done deepening yet either. 150 or 160, not terribly much difference. At least it missed the larger islands, those islands it did hit are likely shredded and will be uninhabitable after the storm for a long period. I hope everyone has safe shelter, I expect Irma-like images after the storm passes. As others have said, when you see these mesovortices you can get gusts much higher than the stated sustained wind. I have no doubt extreme winds well over cat 5 are being experienced at least in gusts. This storm is an absolute specimen. Hopefully we avoid loss of life 

3 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

IMO there’s evidence this is already at cat 5. Radar, flight data, and satellite could all be used to say this is a 5. It’d close. I don’t think it’s done deepening yet either. 150 or 160, not terribly much difference. At least it missed the larger islands, those islands it did hit are likely shredded and will be uninhabitable after the storm for a long period. I hope everyone has safe shelter, I expect Irma-like images after the storm passes. As others have said, when you see these mesovortices you can get gusts much higher than the stated sustained wind. I have no doubt extreme winds well over cat 5 are being experienced at least in gusts. This storm is an absolute specimen. Hopefully we avoid loss of life 

Structures seem pretty solid concrete. All the roofs will likely be gone though. Even in Irma many well built buildings faired well, and that was a much stronger hurricane 

If you look at the high refresh IR imagery (for instance COD) i’m seeing gravity waves in the hurricane. Been watching for these since rapid intensification yesterday but only showed up in the last hour or so. Often indicative of a strengthening storm. 

• Like 1