• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Hurricane Beryl - Hurricane Warning - Baffin Bay to San Luis Pass Texas

With the size of that eye after the ERC there were unfortunately be a direct strike on at least a couple of the islands. The biggest question is can Beryl gain enough latitude to avoid Grenada getting part of the eyewall.

• Like 1

We fervently need to hope HARD that we have record shear in the Caribbean.

I could mourn the Windwards for the next forty years, but this is only the very beginning of what looks to be one heck of a tribulation of a hurricane season.

I would not want to be in the US Insurance business right now.

That Barbados radar is absolutely HIDEOUS!

14 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Good News: this looks like it has gained enough latitude that the worst of the core might pass just to the north of Grenada. 

Per the NHC track, the worst may miss Canouan to the south as well. Which puts a few very tiny islands in it's path, the largest of which has about 3,000 inhabitants 

Per the NHC track, the worst may miss Canouan to the south as well. Which puts a few very tiny islands in it's path, the largest of which has about 3,000 inhabitants 
Canouan might miss the northern eyewall just to the island's south. Watching any jog closely, as any is critical. Unfortunately, Carriacou and Union Islands and the Petites are in big trouble. Might be a landfall point inside the eye.
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Jebman said:

We fervently need to hope HARD that we have record shear in the Caribbean.

I could mourn the Windwards for the next forty years, but this is only the very beginning of what looks to be one heck of a tribulation of a hurricane season.

I would not want to be in the US Insurance business right now.

That Barbados radar is absolutely HIDEOUS!

Are you the guy that used to like to walk in heavy snow in the Mid Atlantic forum?

Anyway, the trend is your friend and the Buda-Kyle-San Marcos metro is about 150 miles inland.  All the major globals now take what is left of Beryl after the Yucatan into Mexico.  Texas isn't 100% safe, Beryl tries to turn N on most of the models but starts too late.  Ensembles do show a gap between the Atlantic ridge and the Sonoran ridge, but too late to turn a weakened Beryl.  If the timing changes, that changes where Beryl feels the trough between the ridges.  But the globals and ensembles are Texas' friend.  Jamaica and Yucatan's friend as well, most show significant weakening before it gets there.  I think once the Windwards are clear, after a significant hurricane, the threat lowers.

I'd be nervous about the break in the ridge, but almost all the models have a weaker system for the Yucatan that won't feel the approaching trough because it is weak until it is very close to Mexico.  So not 100% confident, but I think the odds of a US impact are dropping.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CurlyHeadBarrett said:

Unreal now the EWRC has finished. She could make a run for a high 4. I’m worried for residents.

I bet she already is high end cat 4. The satellite loop showing on the CNN home page is a terrifying sight. Really shows the rapid recovery and symmetry of the eye

goes16_ir_02L_202407011235_lat12.0-lon-60.5.jpg

• Like 1

Carriacou and Union Island are getting absolutely smashed right now.

For reference, this is perhaps the most powerful hurricane to ever affect this portion of the Windward Islands. The catastrophic 1780 hurricane was likely more intense, but it passed further north with a direct hit on Barbados. Only Ivan and (less so) Janet are comparisons in the modern era. Utterly insane for this to be happening on July 1st.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

Some pics of Union Island and Palm Island down there from a family vacation a few years ago.  Soon to be paradise lost.

20170313_103559.jpeg

20170313_113457.jpeg

20170316_172531.jpeg

20170316_180524.jpeg

I don't know how many are insured.  Being on a hill as some are less than a mile from the ocean and a major hurricane tells me a lot of homes will lose roofs, Inike in Kawaii style.

• Like 1