• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Hurricane Beryl - Hurricane Warning - Baffin Bay to San Luis Pass Texas

40 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Put together some quick, early thoughts.

https://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2024/06/hurricane-beryl-to-devastate-south.html

I think the southern half of the GEFS suite is probably out to lunch.....can see a Gilbert type scenario, but probably not further south than that.

Thanks—as you know, always respect your thoughts. 

We know that the usual June and July sloppy named storm means nothing for the season, but seeing Beryl do this in the context of what has already been a busy season (even if the other invests weren’t named) is a gigantic red flag for what likely lies ahead.

We’re not there yet, but I’m increasingly concerned that the Caribbean and possible shear won’t meaningfully slow this down. In a departure from the 12z run, the Euro keeps the buzzsaw going after a brief weakening to take this into Belize/Yucatán before a final hit in the most active tropical hot spot on the planet right now on the Gulf coast of Mexico. 

Caveats galore, folks:

GFS

RJ8MYOr.png

nRng2bY.png

And the newest Euro

R1sJyk1.png

EfUCKHk.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Thanks—as you know, always respect your thoughts. 

We know that the usual June and July sloppy named storm means nothing for the season, but seeing Beryl do this in the context of what has already been a busy season (even if the other invests weren’t named) is a gigantic red flag for what likely lies ahead.

We’re not there yet, but I’m increasingly concerned that the Caribbean and possible shear won’t meaningfully slow this down. In a departure from the 12z run, the Euro keeps the buzzsaw going after a brief weakening to take this into Belize/Yucatán before a final hit in the most active tropical hot spot on the planet right now on the Gulf coast of Mexico. 

Caveats galore, folks:

GFS

RJ8MYOr.png

nRng2bY.png

And the newest Euro

R1sJyk1.png

EfUCKHk.png

Euro is best case for US.

I am hugging the Euro. That gfs is a catastrophe. Gfs brings Beryl right into Corpus, and I quake with insane fear at the thought of a Katrina intensity cane striking Corpus. Buda would be obliterated and I would be history. I am not up for this stuff anymore. I am an old man, all played out.

If I had the cash ------ I would already be in northern Alberta.

PACK IT UP LADS IT’S OVER FOR THR CARIBBEAN

TC Type ImageHurricane Beryl RSS Feed icon Satellite | Buoys | Grids | Storm Archive
...BERYL IS NOW A VERY DANGEROUS CATEGORY 3 HURRICANE... ...LIFE-THREATENING WINDS AND STORM SURGE EXPECTED IN THE WINDWARD ISLANDS BEGINNING EARLY MONDAY...
8:00 AM AST Sun Jun 30
Moving: W at 21 mph
Min pressure: 968 mb
Max sustained: 100 mph

First VDM

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)
Transmitted: 30th day of the month at 11:41Z
Agency: United States Air Force
Aircraft: Lockheed WC-130J Hercules with reg. number AF96-5300
Storm Name: Beryl
Storm Number & Year: 02 in 2024 (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 1
Observation Number: 06 ( See all messages of this type for this mission. )

A. Time of Center Fix: 30th day of the month at 11:12:10Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 10.49N 53.76W
B. Center Fix Location: 435 statute miles (700 km) to the ESE (115°) from Bridgetown, Barbados.
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 2,868m (9,409ft) at 700mb
D. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 969mb (28.62 inHg)
E. Dropsonde Surface Wind at Center: From 170° at 13kts (From the S at 15mph)
F. Eye Character: Closed
G. Eye Shape & Diameter: Circular with a diameter of 20 nautical miles (23 statute miles)
H. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 94kts (108.2mph)
I. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 11 nautical miles (13 statute miles) to the NNW (335°) of center fix at 11:08:30Z
J. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 54° at 108kts (From the NE at 124.3mph)
K. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 11 nautical miles (13 statute miles) to the NNW (335°) of center fix at 11:08:30Z
L. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: 107kts (123.1mph)
M. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: 7 nautical miles to the SE (141°) of center fix at 11:14:00Z
N. Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: From 227° at 101kts (From the SW at 116.2mph)
O. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: 11 nautical miles (13 statute miles) to the SE (139°) of center fix at 11:15:00Z
P. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 18°C (64°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,044m (9,987ft)
Q. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 18°C (64°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,046m (9,993ft)
R. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 8°C (46°F)
R. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
S. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
S. Fix Level: 700mb
T. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles
T. Meteorological Accuracy: 1 nautical mile

Remarks Section:

Maximum Flight Level Wind: 108kts (~ 124.3mph) which was observed 11 nautical miles (13 statute miles) to the NNW (335°) from the flight level center at 11:08:30Z

General Note About Vortex Messages:
- SFMR and flight level winds are usually averaged over a 10 second period. (The National Hurricane Center's advisory wind speeds are the highest expected winds averaged over a 1 minute period.)
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

A saving grace for the islands could be the very small *core. Right now the track the entire core missing all the. Bigger islands.

A non-saving grace for the islands could be the second hurricane to hit the same spot 3 freaking days later...

gfs_mslp_wind_watl_fh84-84.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

22 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

A saving grace for the islands could be the very small *core. Right now the track the entire core missing all the. Bigger islands.

That's good and hope it "threads the needle" to keep the worst winds off any of those islands.  I remember when beautiful Grenada was devastated by Ivan 20 years ago

2 hours ago, Jebman said:

I am hugging the Euro. That gfs is a catastrophe. Gfs brings Beryl right into Corpus, and I quake with insane fear at the thought of a Katrina intensity cane striking Corpus. Buda would be obliterated and I would be history. I am not up for this stuff anymore. I am an old man, all played out.

If I had the cash ------ I would already be in northern Alberta.

At this range it could do anything - exact impact location is impossible to predict. However there are a few things to consider:

1. Stronger storms tend to be more likely to defy model tracks at range. Global models don’t do a good job identifying the core pressure of the storm and therefore use the wrong steering layer.

2. If it makes it into the gulf (not guaranteed given it’s got to thread the needle between Cuba and Yucatan), a very good rule is for everyone in the gulf to be on watch even if you think the storm is nowhere near you. Again steering layers are a big question as fast strengthening or weakening can cause a storm to take a very different track, and in the gulf someone is going to get hit with a landfall.

• Like 1