Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Sunday, June 23, 2024 Convective Thread

weatherwiz

Today was interesting.

My original staging point was going to be Lebanon, NH, but before I could get too far I ended up stuck in traffic after a terrible accident closed the road and required LifeStar.

zJbrLSS.jpeg

l9bNMlj.jpeg

By this point, the pre frontal storms started firing, and it was slow going until I had my first target—a cell that looked like it had growing rotation on radar. 

OJww9TR.png

That led me to Manchester Center and I got unlucky as the storm failed to cycle. 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe913491rt6z9nxs97aky9

I had to follow it east a bit but it never really regained its original look even though it became severe warned. 

I saw the cell to the south near the VT border go up and I bailed south. 

0Nc3zph.jpeg

This defined the day as from that moment on I was trying to catch up. Then I saw the CT radar. :axe: 

o52dfaS.png

I kept south…and while I caught part of the structure of the supercell that went over my house, that was it. 

4CCZYmU.jpeg

M1J4xAq.jpeg

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe913knooziazolar07g0v

Today was frustrating, but severe chases are awfully hard especially in New England and I didn’t necessarily make any wrong decisions. 

I’m now home and there’s a garden variety storm, but it’s picturesque as well.

dbNw6Qr.jpeg

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91buvrlpfrlfqqy029sl

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

From wife’s best friend's house… they had high and swift water moving through their backyard where the true creek is located (usually like a couple feet across type creek).  But it was so overwhelmed with water, it had jumped the bank upstream and raged down the road.

Local stations maxed at around 5-6”/hr rainfall rates… and some spots had as much as 2-3” in a very short period of time.  Also happened after several days of good rains primed the environment for maximizing run-off.

Bailing off the island with deep swift water behind the house, and a road cut flowing in the front.  With more rain moving in at the time.

IMG_4886.thumb.jpeg.520095ab305de8ec9ef71766e3a7bd6e.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Here we go again.  Torrential rain at a 2.50”/hr rate.

Gonna push 3” on the day here shortly.

What is up with VT and the rain the past decade? Relentless every summer. 

On 6/23/2024 at 10:21 PM, NoCORH4L said:

What is up with VT and the rain the past decade? Relentless every summer. 

It’s been a topic of conversation up here.

The flash floods and larger river flooding has been a lot more frequent than anyone can remember.  A couple widespread flooding events have set all-time river levels across a large chuck of real estate in recent years.

On top of that there has been a propensity for locally high-end destructive flash flood events in many New England towns.

The warm departures have consequences, if you could call it that.  Naturally more heat and moisture (higher temps and dews) in the means will lead to more precipitation.  And more acute, tropical style rainfall.

We can’t keep pumping 70F sfc dews into the mountains, add synoptic lift with the low level orographics as the low level jet gets excited…  and expect any different outcome than torrential rain somewhere in New England.

The departures the past 10 years have been healthy.  It has not been a gradual rise.  It’s accelerated and has produced numerous acute rainfall events across New England.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

1.65" on the day

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

1.34" here, greatest calendar day precip since April 4 (which was very different).  Had moderate RA 8-noon, ~0.7", then a weak-but-wet TS 7:20-7:50 PM for 0.56" - had some bursts of 2-3"/hr rates, but only one boom within 5 miles.  Month is up to 3.04" (90% of 1-23 avg) with 60% of that over the past 4 days.   1/2-3/4" forecast for today and some more tonight, so we may reach the June avg of 5.1".

• Like 1

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This stuff is pretty nuts.

North Hollow Road in Stowe.  This is such a small waterway that just got smoked with torrential rainfall.  Normally it’s barely got water in it, a trickle.

IMG_20240623_173356329.jpeg.9736b13c705dfaed3d581623e6e1a27e.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg.e42a584cc7ec7ddfc3e4baa31a32e878.jpeg

IMG_20240623_181418997_HDR.jpeg.0de6d589d7a532166de89669b4c15c06.jpeg

IMG_4885.jpeg.c5cdc43ada346f4e8eaa2979f4b65e24.jpeg

IMG_4884.jpeg.f3c70a5a03f08bb111f006678f738bc0.jpeg

Very descriptive pics.  Little brooks can do amazing things at times. 
The remains of Belle (8/10/76) turned a 3-foot-wide brook into a 50-foot torrent crossing West Main Street in Fort Kent, gouged out a canyon 8' deep by 12' wide between 2 apartment buildings (was threatening the westerly one's foundation until we diverted the water) and left the back yards of the apartments looking like a 100-foot-wide river bottom strewn with sand, rocks and one car hood.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, tamarack said:

1.34" here, greatest calendar day precip since April 4 (which was very different).  Had moderate RA 8-noon, ~0.7", then a weak-but-wet TS 7:20-7:50 PM for 0.56" - had some bursts of 2-3"/hr rates, but only one boom within 5 miles.  Month is up to 3.04" (90% of 1-23 avg) with 60% of that over the past 4 days.   1/2-3/4" forecast for today and some more tonight, so we may reach the June avg of 5.1".

Ended with 1.77". Was a nice drink for the lawn and gardens.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah.  That part of SNH is sneaky for the amount of severe they get. 

Yep. Always seems to be a split right down RT 2. Been noticing it since I moved here 12 years ago.