• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Sunday, June 23, 2024 Convective Thread

weatherwiz

There are just way too many modes that result in failure when it comes to high end severe in NE. I mean the last real derecho event was maybe July 1995? Similar to the last hurricane in 1991. May 1998 derecho was in upstate NY mostly. Plus, since the Great Barrington tornado in 1995, the only EF3+ we have had was in 2011. It really seems like high end severe is less common than it used to be around here for whatever reason.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ChangeofSeasonsWX said:

There are just way too many modes that result in failure when it comes to high end severe in NE. I mean the last real derecho event was maybe July 1995? Similar to the last hurricane in 1991. May 1998 derecho was in upstate NY mostly. Plus, since the Great Barrington tornado in 1995, the only EF3+ we have had was in 2011. It really seems like high end severe is less common than it used to be around here for whatever reason.

High-end severe is certainly difficult to obtain here, especially on a widespread scale. It's so difficult to advect an EML into our region and it's even more difficult to time it with an advancing shortwave/front. 

Most of the 12z CAMs show convection initiating along a trough across central Massachusetts around early to mid afternoon. The HRRR and RRFS are less enthused.

The HRRR shows semi discrete storms tracking over NH with this earlier round. The RRFS delays convection across most areas until late afternoon/early evening.

It’s really going to be a nail biter I think for southern New England. If there’s slightly better heating or dews run 1-2F higher than HRRR, closer to NAM progs, then you could see a storm or two go up in Massachusetts or northern CT. 

Otherwise, more widespread convection seems likely during the evening, but with deep shear vectors more parallel to the boundary then, it should be a messy storm mode with bowing segments the predominant storm mode. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Quincy said:

Most of the 12z CAMs show convection initiating along a trough across central Massachusetts around early to mid afternoon. The HRRR and RRFS are less enthused.

The HRRR shows semi discrete storms tracking over NH with this earlier round. The RRFS delays convection across most areas until late afternoon/early evening.

It’s really going to be a nail biter I think for southern New England. If there’s slightly better heating or dews run 1-2F higher than HRRR, closer to NAM progs, then you could see a storm or two go up in Massachusetts or northern CT. 

Otherwise, more widespread convection seems likely during the evening, but with deep shear vectors more parallel to the boundary then, it should be a messy storm mode with bowing segments the predominant storm mode. 

I'm really watching those dewpoints because they will certainly factor into development today. Lots of stations into the lower 70's for dews. I still think there may be some dewpoint pooling later and we see dews in the 74-76 range. If those dews can get into S NH and any discrete cell can get going...yikes.

Here are the 12z HREF paintball maps with old runs omitted, valid at 21z/5 PM. The first graphic shows the high reflectivity signal, with attempted discrete storms across southern New England. The second graphic shows the stronger UH tracks, mostly confined to NH/VT:

IMG-1024.jpg

IMG-1025.jpg

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Quincy said:

Here are the 12z HREF paintball maps with old runs omitted, valid at 21z/5 PM. The first graphic shows the high reflectivity signal, with attempted discrete storms across southern New England. The second graphic shows the stronger UH tracks, mostly confined to NH/VT:

IMG-1024.jpg

IMG-1025.jpg

I know dynamics are different yesterday to today, but yesterday We struggled with getting sun to burn off the deck, and hovered 78-80; today sun is out and into the low 80’s and noticeably more humid.  Does it mean anything for this afternoon, who knows.

Dews are definitely on the juicier side across Connecticut. You don’t want full clearing (unexpected anyway), as that could result in deeper mixing. Most guidance holds dews fairly steady, except to the north, as the warm front lifts. 
IMG-1026.png

This surface map will auto update hourly:

ma.sfc.gif

• Like 1

I have much to learn from the language you all use here.

I'm just hoping that we'll be safe from this stuff ("damage" as you call it?) down here in central Connecticut. That Tornado Warning yesterday was enough for me for a very long time. :cry:

• Haha 1