Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Sunday, June 23, 2024 Convective Thread

weatherwiz

7 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I'm chucking a few on the Today Show this morning at 8 a.m. :weenie:

First time? That’s awesome, good luck. You’ll crush it.

12 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

May have to end up going a bit farther north into New Hampshire. Have to look deeper into stuff but looks like storm mode is going to be super messy. Also looking like a bit later for timing (not a bad thing).

I’m honestly not sure what I’ll do. I see the cap further south on the soundings, but I also wonder if that opens the door to perhaps less widespread storms but a couple of big storms that have enough to break the cap. 

I also hate chasing in New England. Not fond of the terrain or road network. Not a lot of ways to get into good position. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

First time? That’s awesome, good luck. You’ll crush it.

I’m honestly not sure what I’ll do. I see the cap further south on the soundings, but I also wonder if that opens the door to perhaps less widespread storms but a couple of big storms that have enough to break the cap. 

I also hate chasing in New England. Not fond of the terrain or road network. Not a lot of ways to get into good position. 

Yeah chasing here sucks. You can’t even really chase. I know I call it chasing but I don’t really chase. What I just try to do is pick an area which looks to be a decent spot before hand and then look on google maps for any like open fields, golf courses, etc. in the vicinity. Then get there a few hours before hand. I always prefer northern CT being in the game because BDL is great for views. 

I tend though not to go after stuff as it’s ongoing. Too much traffic, if you are in areas with lots of trees blocked roads become a concern, and getting caught in the torrential downpours driving can be dicey. Difficult to see and the way people drive…always afraid of getting rear ended 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah chasing here sucks. You can’t even really chase. I know I call it chasing but I don’t really chase. What I just try to do is pick an area which looks to be a decent spot before hand and then look on google maps for any like open fields, golf courses, etc. in the vicinity. Then get there a few hours before hand. I always prefer northern CT being in the game because BDL is great for views. 

I tend though not to go after stuff as it’s ongoing. Too much traffic, if you are in areas with lots of trees blocked roads become a concern, and getting caught in the torrential downpours driving can be dicey. Difficult to see and the way people drive…always afraid of getting rear ended 

How do we look here south of the pike?

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

The warm front will slowly push north all day. It’s fine. 

Hard to believe we're going to see any significant sun though to get things really firing 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

How do we look here south of the pike?

I don't think there is going to be much activity but there may be a window between like 5-8 PM for activity to develop across western CT as there is some shortwave energy approaching. Showers may start popping during the afternoon but they will struggle to intensify given the capping and weak forcing. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't think there is going to be much activity but there may be a window between like 5-8 PM for activity to develop across western CT as there is some shortwave energy approaching. Showers may start popping during the afternoon but they will struggle to intensify given the capping and weak forcing. 

Kind of interesting that the guidance went from more widespread activity to more isolated stuff between the 00z and 06z suites. I do wonder how strong the cap will be in actuality. 

Definitely need some warming to erode the cap, especially in southern New England. That’s probably why CAMs have backed off on earlier activity. Satellite shows clouds socked in across most of New England, with some breaks in NY and around the Berkshires.

12z ALB sounding shows enlarged low level hodographs, but weak lapse rates and some messiness with the upper level wind profile too.

IMG-1023.jpg

Assuming there are cloud breaks, there’s still the potential for a conditionally favorable environment around central Mass, otherwise there’s a higher probability for storms up in NH/VT. Not sure much if anything will be triggered early with subtle forcing. Unless you can get some daytime heating and erode the CAP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Kind of interesting that the guidance went from more widespread activity to more isolated stuff between the 00z and 06z suites. I do wonder how strong the cap will be in actuality. 

Was just looking at the 12z balloon launches from Albany (and even Upton) and there is an evident cap in place. The better forcing and height falls during the day will be northern and central New England and that should be enough to break any capping up there. 

South into Mass and CT I don't think the cap breaks. Seems too strong to me and by the time it may break with that approaching shortwave the best dynamics may be lifting out. I'm not even sure if there will be much activity across Mass. 

But anyone in Mass and CT should definitely not let their guard down. All it takes is for one cell to get going and develop a mature enough updraft and it will have plenty to CAPE/shear to utilize. 

WE'll have to watch the progression of the warm front too. It seems the trend has been to lift the warm front north and east a bit more quickly. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 2

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Was just looking at the 12z balloon launches from Albany (and even Upton) and there is an evident cap in place. The better forcing and height falls during the day will be northern and central New England and that should be enough to break any capping up there. 

South into Mass and CT I don't think the cap breaks. Seems too strong to me and by the time it may break with that approaching shortwave the best dynamics may be lifting out. I'm not even sure if there will be much activity across Mass. 

But anyone in Mass and CT should definitely not let their guard down. All it takes is for one cell to get going and develop a mature enough updraft and it will have plenty to CAPE/shear to utilize. 

WE'll have to watch the progression of the warm front too. It seems the trend has been to lift the warm front north and east a bit more quickly. 

Seems like a classic tough severe forecast day down here lol. Like you said, even if we’re mostly capped it only takes one to break through to get things real interesting. Tricky messaging for a CT audience. 

12 minutes ago, Quincy said:

Definitely need some warming to erode the cap, especially in southern New England. That’s probably why CAMs have backed off on earlier activity. Satellite shows clouds socked in across most of New England, with some breaks in NY and around the Berkshires.

12z ALB sounding shows enlarged low level hodographs, but weak lapse rates and some messiness with the upper level wind profile too.

IMG-1023.jpg

Assuming there are cloud breaks, there’s still the potential for a conditionally favorable environment around central Mass, otherwise there’s a higher probability for storms up in NH/VT. Not sure much if anything will be triggered early with subtle forcing. Unless you can get some daytime heating and erode the CAP.

As always, really helpful and informative. 

15 minutes ago, Quincy said:

IMG-1023.jpg

Getting brighter here in E CT compared to yesterday not getting sun until afternoon and a decent breeze at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, LSC97wxnut said:

At the Hooksett plaza and nothing screams severe like 65* and sheet drizzle... :mellow:

Go inside. Get yourself some well priced liquor. Pound some shots down in the NHMS parking lot. And enjoy a PDS one way or another. 

• Haha 3