Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn
Winter 2024-25 Discussion/Speculation

CAPE

6 hours ago, 87storms said:

One option is for me to get another jeep.  I bought my last one in Nov '13 which was followed by a string of goat-level winters.  

Early Feb/Mar 2014, FRD got upwards of 20” in one storm. Was living in Wormans with two college buddies. My Wrangler was perfect to keep my parking space free. Never shoveled the spot and no one tried to park there due to depth. Oh the good days!

14 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

They can, but with a strongly negative PDO the surprises will be few and far between. Here’s hoping we get at least a couple of well-timed rogue southern track storms. 

Probably our best hope this year is a winter that's below normal for snow but not an absolute dumpster fire.

Something like 8 to 14" in DC Metro and like 15"- 20" in NW burbs.

One thing that gives me hope is if Canada is cold this year. A little easier for cold shots.

• Like 1

Early Feb/Mar 2014, FRD got upwards of 20” in one storm. Was living in Wormans with two college buddies. My Wrangler was perfect to keep my parking space free. Never shoveled the spot and no one tried to park there due to depth. Oh the good days!

That 4x4 can really plow through snow, especially with the right tires.

54 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

They can, but with a strongly negative PDO the surprises will be few and far between. Here’s hoping we get at least a couple of well-timed rogue southern track storms. 

I know I get weenied for being too negative, but any realistic look at what's actually happening--notably that -PDO mixed with a nina--tells ya that there's just not much there. While nobody wants to toss a winter before it starts, if there were ever a year where doing that is perfectly logical, it's this one! The evidence is already there--we've got the current indices, and the liklihood of a positive surprise is low. Now eternal optimists for no other than reason than to just be, do you :lol:

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I know I get weenied for being too negative, but any realistic look at what's actually happening--notably that -PDO mixed with a nina--tells ya that there's just not much there. While nobody wants to toss a winter before it starts, if there were ever a year where doing that is perfectly logical, it's this one! The evidence is already there and the liklihood of a positive surprise is low. Now eternal optimists for no other than reason than to just be, do you :lol:

I wrote off this winter and next winter months ago.

9 minutes ago, JenkinsJinkies said:

I wrote off this winter and next winter months ago.

Dang you went further than me, lol I mean yeah Ninas double dip (although I'd like to see examples of times when they didn't), and if we go into next with the same ol' -PDO with another nina then eh. Once we get +PDO at least it'll be something to watch to see how much of a factor the opposite has had on our winters. Of course there's warm pools and other dumb stuff in the pacific too, but what I hear from the better minds on here is that -PDO is an issue. Change that and we can watch...

2 hours ago, dailylurker said:

The good ole weather channel lol. 

Anyway. Very chilly out there. It's been a chilly October. 

37 here in the forested South River watershed. Frost in the low spots.

It's been a beautiful month and it reminds me a lot of October 2000. 

I've been wondering if 2000-2001 is in fact a decent analog... which means we're still screwed, but not for the reasons TWC thinks lol

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I've been wondering if 2000-2001 is in fact a decent analog... which means we're still screwed, but not for the reasons TWC thinks lol

Seasonal forecast are just farmer almanacs made by computers lol. We're going to have a good ole fashion climo winter and we're going to enjoy it for what it is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

2001 was a decent winter up here, but the 3 largest snowfalls that winter here were all very marginal.  Two were rain to snow events and one was just wet snow the whole time.  2 of the 3 were mostly rain in DC/Baltimore.  If you increase the temp at all...you can probably take away a significant % of that seasons snow up here.  

13 hours ago, Weather Will said:

Weather Channel canceled winter, saying it will be the warmest in 65 years....

That's like the one winter (2012-2013?) where JB went warm and dry and everyone knew it was over in early December.

1 hour ago, peribonca said:

Just get ready for another 6 months worth of November in a row.

October.