• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Winter 2024-25 Discussion/Speculation

CAPE

May QBO rose to -6.5, from -23.4 in April. Since it runs in positive/negative 10+ month period cycles, that gives us about a >92% chance of having a +QBO Winter. QBO/La Nina strengthens the 10mb polar vortex, giving higher tendency for +AO conditions at the surface. Because of this coupling with La Nina, the ENSO state for the Winter is more sensitive than normal for above or below normal temperature conditions. 

The PDO has actually a greater temperature correlation over the Mid Atlantic region than ENSO does. With -PDO still running strong, making down to -3 last month, it's very likely that we will have a -PDO Winter. The fact that a growing La Nina is occurring strengthens this idea. It usually goes in the direction of ENSO. 

Solar Max is occurring with near peak conditions currently underway. Solar Max correlates with the NAO at +0.3 (~30% chance for +NAO Winter vs -NAO). 

The jet stream has really lifted north this year, and the last few years. That doesn't mean we can't get a cold Winter.. Kansas City hit a windchill of -35F in January for the Chiefs playoff game, so you can get cold bursts, but the percentages and overall, start shifting heavily in the direction of warm when you see things so far north, early in the season and at this time of year..

Since we are going to have one of the warmest December-June's on record in the eastern 2/3 of the CONUS, I made a list of 19 best analog matches since 1948, and found actually a strong correlation for next Winter's temperatures: 

Dec-Jun analogs: https://ibb.co/gZkPmqk

Following Dec-Feb (scale is almost the same! for 19/75 years.. one I picked and chose from, the other was a +12 month roll forward! (~20% of total years included)). https://ibb.co/YR3kwmm

I made the primary factor broad-CONUS based above or below average temperatures, so if there was a strong opposite anomaly somewhere in the country, I didn't use that year.  https://ibb.co/j5qjkJV

[Years were (+): 1948-49, 52-53, 90-91, 97-98, 98-99, 99-00, 2001-02, 05-06, 11-12, 15-16, 16-17, 19-20, 22-23. 

(-) years: 1970-71, 77-78, 78-79, 81-82, 83-84, 92-93.]

Mexico saw a major heat wave in May. The roll forward of years matching this, show that the heat develops across the US from the Rockies to Midwest July-August, then in September it rolls east, with above average conditions usually occurring through the following Fall and Winter (Sept-Mar). 

Right now I have about 85-90% confidence that we will see an above average temperature Winter (DJFM) vs the 30-year average. 

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

May QBO rose to -6.5, from -23.4 in April. Since it runs in positive/negative 10+ month period cycles, that gives us about a >92% chance of having a +QBO Winter. QBO/La Nina strengthens the 10mb polar vortex, giving higher tendency for +AO conditions at the surface. Because of this coupling with La Nina, the ENSO state for the Winter is more sensitive than normal for above or below normal temperature conditions. 

The PDO has actually a greater temperature correlation over the Mid Atlantic region than ENSO does. With -PDO still running strong, making down to -3 last month, it's very likely that we will have a -PDO Winter. The fact that a growing La Nina is occurring strengthens this idea. It usually goes in the direction of ENSO. 

Solar Max is occurring with near peak conditions currently underway. Solar Max correlates with the NAO at +0.3 (~30% chance for +NAO Winter vs -NAO). 

The jet stream has really lifted north this year, and the last few years. That doesn't mean we can't get a cold Winter.. Kansas City hit a windchill of -35F in January for the Chiefs playoff game, so you can get cold bursts, but the percentages and overall, start shifting heavily in the direction of warm when you see things so far north, early in the season and at this time of year..

Since we are going to have one of the warmest December-June's on record in the eastern 2/3 of the CONUS, I made a list of 19 best analog matches since 1948, and found actually a strong correlation for next Winter's temperatures: 

Dec-Jun analogs: https://ibb.co/gZkPmqk

Following Dec-Feb (scale is almost the same! for 19/75 years.. one I picked and chose from, the other was a +12 month roll forward! (~20% of total years included)). https://ibb.co/YR3kwmm

I made the primary factor broad-CONUS based above or below average temperatures, so if there was a strong opposite anomaly somewhere in the country, I didn't use that year.  https://ibb.co/j5qjkJV

[Years were (+): 1948-49, 52-53, 90-91, 97-98, 98-99, 99-00, 2001-02, 05-06, 11-12, 15-16, 16-17, 19-20, 22-23. 

(-) years: 1970-71, 77-78, 78-79, 81-82, 83-84, 92-93.]

Mexico saw a major heat wave in May. The roll forward of years matching this, show that the heat develops across the US from the Rockies to Midwest July-August, then in September it rolls east, with above average conditions usually occurring through the following Fall and Winter (Sept-Mar). 

Right now I have about 85-90% confidence that we will see an above average temperature Winter (DJFM) vs the 30-year average. 

Always a good bet given recent history, and with nothing of significance to suggest anything different. That being said, in these parts all we need is a couple weeks with a favorable pattern within an overall period of suckage to have a memorable winter.

4 hours ago, CAPE said:

Always a good bet given recent history, and with nothing of significance to suggest anything different. That being said, in these parts all we need is a couple weeks with a favorable pattern within an overall period of suckage to have a memorable winter.

EPO's run in 7-12 day patterns, and I kind of think we are due for some -EPO patterns. In 99-00 we had that Jan 25 storm that gave us 20" in the midst of a Strong La Nina and a very warm Winter, so yeah things can time right and we can get average snowfall, It will usually happen with a -EPO or +PNA. 

With that being said, they haven't seen a flake of snow in Raleigh, NC for 1100 days. And Boston hasn't seen a 4" storm in almost 3 years. The jet stream is definitely lifting north for the last decade, and I think that has a lot to do with the Pacific La Nina cycle we are in, resulting in -PDO. I think what they normally see in NC/SC is what we are in right now, and that doesn't really show signs of changing, at least not soon. 

Watch the SW, US too, when they get troughs/rain, we are more favorable for Winter weather a few years later, vs hot/dry there, which usually spreads east over time..

Maybe when the Atlantic starts switching back to -AMO and the PDO changes as well we will get more favorable.. they both should be near their decadal cycle peaks right now. I think what we are in right now is more RNA/+AMO vs what they would call global warming. maybe like 70/30

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Above normal each month. 1 good 10-12 day period in early January. 10” at BWI and IAD, 6” at DCA. 

Ok. Fine. Then I want to see you roll with that in the forthcoming snowfall contest. :lol:

23 hours ago, CAPE said:

La Nina = Dewey Beach road trip. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, IronTy said:

Things can always be worse.  

Eh...only way it can be worse than anything we've seen the last several years is just numerically: if we finish with 0.1" or just plain 0"...we already got as low 0.2 in 2022-23! After that there's no worse to be had, hahaha

But seriously though, we've basically seen every possible scenario that this winter can be, so no surprises, no new "Hm that could make things interesting/predictable". We've run out of "Oh this could be different"s! Literally exhausted all of those things to a point you can just put up a chart of the last 8 1/2 years, and just pick an outcome. Nothing new. 

(Side note if the PDO eventually flips again maybe then that can be something to look at since a +PDO isn't on the post 2016 list)

Simply put...we already know what's up...been there, done that. For me that's where we're at only reason ya watch is if you're just in it for the science.  But if you're watching it looking for anything different than 2017-now, you're wasting your time!

In case ya can't tell...I'm kinda done with it. I mean could I be tempted to look this winter? I can't see a scenario where I am, but ya never know. Otherwise, could be better just to let it go and if a flake falls just say "Oh it's snowing--nice!" That and going skiing for the first time :lol:

• Weenie 1

On 6/20/2024 at 6:33 PM, CAPE said:

Yes we can and I will be rooting for that kind of fluke, but it’s fighting uphill. Ultimately we need the global pattern to shift (are we still assuming it will?). If we want any sustained run of success to break out of this funk.