• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Invest 92L in SW Atlantic reached SE US Fri

The area in the SW Atlantic being watched since the weekend was designated Invest 92L earlier this evening. This evening’s TWO also raised odds of TCG back up from 20% to the Saturday max of 30%.

Although several models had this as either a TD or TS landfalling in the SE US Thu/Fri on at least one run on Saturday (GFS/Euro/UKMET/ICON) and the GFS continued that into Sunday, no model has shown a TC for the last couple of days. Instead they all have been showing either a very weak LLC or just a trough. Since this is likely headed toward (fairly close to) my general area and will probably give me at least a little rain late week, I’m following this pretty closely despite odds still being pretty low for TCG. Even if it there’s no TCG, it will still be interesting to track.

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
800 PM EDT Wed Jun 19 2024

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

Active Systems: 
The National Hurricane Center is issuing advisories on Tropical 
Storm Alberto, located over the southwestern Gulf of Mexico. 

1. Southwestern Atlantic Ocean (AL92):
A small area of low pressure has formed about 300 miles east of 
the northwestern Bahamas this evening with disorganized shower and 
thunderstorm activity.  While environmental conditions are only 
marginally conducive due to nearby dry air, further development of 
this system is possible while the low moves west-northwestward and 
approaches the northeastern coast of Florida or Georgia early on 
Friday.  
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...30 percent.
* Formation chance through 7 days...low...30 percent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. As I see it, the well defined center has an uphill fight against shear and then dry air as it approaches the coast. Small systems can trend stronger or weaker very quickly however, so this is definitely an interesting one to track. 

• Like 1

Yea this has really caught my eye.  Looks pretty good on the visible satellite you can clearly see a circulation.

Looks like thunderstorms are trying to blow up on the west and northwest side of this circulation.  If these storms can wrap around that center this will likely become Tropical Storm Beryl.

I was looking at water vapor and it has a decent moisture envelope with it dry air shouldn't be a problem shear for now looks okay.

Florida Satellite Weather Map | AccuWeather

• Thanks 1

It’ll be good to see what recon finds. I’m not entirely sure it’s fully closed off, but shear has dropped significantly and there’s a little bit of time.

YbsGgRP.jpeg

Dry air is an issue, especially on the southern side, but convection so far has held on. 
cLvsaDi.png

It’s definitely trying. A bit messy with the circulation but consistent convection in what’s now a less sheared environment can definitely give it decent odds to develop before moving onshore tomorrow. 

Special Tropical Weather Outlook
500 PM EDT Thu Jun 20 2024

A special tropical weather outlook issued to update the 
discussion of the low pressure system northeast of the Bahamas.

Active Systems: 
The National Hurricane Center is issuing advisories on Tropical 
Depression Alberto, located inland over northeastern Mexico. 

Southwestern Atlantic Ocean (AL92) Updated:
Data from an Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft indicates 
that the small area of low pressure located about 150 miles 
northeast of the northernmost Bahamas does not have a well-defined 
surface circulation.  Environmental conditions remain marginally 
conducive for further development and this system could become a 
tropical depression while the low moves west-northwestward at 10 to 
15 mph.  The system is expected to approach the northeastern coast 
of Florida or the Georgia coast early on Friday.  Another Air Force 
Reserve reconnaissance mission is planned for Thursday morning, if 
necessary.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...40 percent.
* Formation chance through 7 days...medium...40 percent.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

I guess they didn't think a small area of 40 knots well NE of the weak and nebulous LLC warranted tropical storm watches/warnings, and thus no PTC.  I'd think the PTC route now is the safest alternative, of course,, they have to balance that with not being the boy who cried wolf.

Maybe they don’t think it is capable of reaching TS status. If they currently think TD at most, would a PTC we warranted?

• Like 2

Upped from 40% to 50%:

800 PM EDT Thu Jun 20 2024

Active Systems: 
The National Hurricane Center has written the last advisory on the 
remnants of Alberto, which are located inland over northeastern 
Mexico.

1. Southwestern Atlantic Ocean (AL92):
Satellite imagery shows that shower activity associated with the 
area of low pressure located about 175 miles north-northeast of the 
northern Bahamas has become a little better organized during the 
past 24 hours.  However, earlier Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter 
aircraft data indicated that the system does not have a well-defined 
circulation.  Environmental conditions remain marginally conducive 
for additional development and this system could become a tropical 
depression while the low moves west-northwestward at 10 to 15 mph.  
The system is expected to approach the northeastern coast of Florida 
or the Georgia coast early on Friday, and interests there should 
monitor the progress of the system.  Another Air Force Reserve 
aircraft is scheduled to investigate the system on Friday morning, 
if necessary.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent.
* Formation chance through 7 days...medium...50 percent.

92L is really overperforming imo when it comes to firing convection. If it can get a tighter LLC tonight and keep the convection firing it should become a TC. 

It’s a low shear environment with SSTs that will get warmer as 92L gets closer to shore. 

sMNKm2i.jpeg

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91qjch9pwhj3anbny5jt

On the other hand, dry air continues to lurk to the south, and it needs to really consolidate the closed circulation. Tonight will be very interesting as it gets in radar range. 

Given the near coast TC genesis cases from the last few years, I do believe we get a quick named storm here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It is getting better organized imo and we’re only a little after DMIN. In addition, it is headed toward significantly warmer SSTs in the Gulf Stream. SSTs where it is now (near 29N, 77W) are only ~81 F, but they rise to a peak of ~84 F in the Gulf Stream.

IMG_9789.thumb.gif.c778171a2a1c74a81ddea90461abedbe.gif

NHC taking a gamble waiting on this.  It’s a small system and can ramp up quickly.  Don’t wanna wake up and have a random microcane slip under your nose.  Circulation looks very stout now, albeit small

I don’t want to oversell it because it could still be disorganized under the hood, but this is impressive tonight. Very strong convection continues to fire, it’s hard to tell at this stage but it looks like it’s trying to establish some ventilation on the RGB water vapor (not pictured below) and it’s yet to cross the Gulf Stream, which may aid in continuing convection.

What’s most impressive is 92L so far threading the needle in a very hostile moisture environment. @Kevin Reilly pointed it out earlier but the thunderstorms around 92L have thus far kept this insulated from dry air choking off the convective engine, and now we’re seeing a consolidation of those storms around what was a weak but closed circulation earlier. That’s really a feat that’s helped by being in a low shear/high SST environment.

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91wcgzc9rnlzlmpgp5mt

As this gets into radar range we’re obviously watching for a tighter LLC, but watch to see if there’s spiral banding ahead of the center getting into range. If so, that would be evidence that this has organized sufficiently to be designated as a TC. 

• Like 2

The spiral banding is there.  Check out radar out of Jacksonvile on radar pro.  Showers moving due SSE ahead of the low. It’s small but it’s there and it’s not weak I think.  If I were to guess recon find a strong tropical storm in a couple of hours 

A few hours old SSMIS pass... certainly a bit of organization there. Some curved banding band near the center, albeit on the ragged side. Tough miss from the most recent ASCAT, would have helped determine if there are substantial W winds. 92L is starting to come into view on KMLB which should be very illuminating in a few hours.

92l_microwave.thumb.jpg.8d88129a75532d05f93f7968cfcd66a3.jpg 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Normandy said:

The spiral banding is there.  Check out radar out of Jacksonvile on radar pro.  Showers moving due SSE ahead of the low. It’s small but it’s there and it’s not weak I think.  If I were to guess recon find a strong tropical storm in a couple of hours 

I see what you’re saying, though I think I’d like for it to be more organized. Also, recon is pushed to ~8am per one of the flight mets on Twitter. 

This appears to be the closest buoy to 92L with it at 28.9N, 78.5W or 120 nm E of Cape Canaveral. So, perhaps WSW of 92L’s center:

Station 41010
NDBC
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2024 04:00:00 UTC
Winds: ENE (60°) at 7.8 kt gusting to 9.7 kt
Atmospheric Pressure: 30.06 in and rising
Air Temperature: 79.0 F
Dew Point: 75.6 F
Water Temperature: 80.6 F