• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Late June 2024 MN/WI/IA Flooding Event

The cyclical nature of Mother Nature never ceases to amazes me. After a wet spring, the spigot has been turned off here, and in return the flash brought of the upper Midwest is raking in. I have friends in Mankato, interested to hear the flooding scenario. 

3 hours ago, madwx said:

Heavy rain event starting off with a bang here.  A few popup storms formed overhead and dropped 1.15”.  Should get a couple more rounds as the evening goes by

Second round of storms has come through and we’re up to 1.97”. Flooding in most neighbors backyards. 

25 minutes ago, madwx said:

Second round of storms has come through and we’re up to 1.97”. Flooding in most neighbors backyards. 

Crazy what a few tens of miles difference makes. We have had like .75 here so far. With a 2-3 inch spot N of Sun Prairie that I'm sure is doing wonders to the Maunesha.

The corridor along and just N of Hwy 78 from Prairie Du Sac to I 39 is getting slammed according to MKX radar. Radar estimated 3 to 5 inches with more coming. And that is some rough terrain to have that much rain on. Edit: Looks like the max is around Parfreys Glen and Prentice Creek. Both of which experienced major flash flood events in 08.

10 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

Crazy what a few tens of miles difference makes. We have had like .75 here so far. With a 2-3 inch spot N of Sun Prairie that I'm sure is doing wonders to the Maunesha.

Yeah I live in Waunakee now so we’ve been closer to the highest totals. 2.63” for the event now

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, madwx said:

Ended with 3.80” today and an event total of 6.00”. Pretty, pretty impressive

That is an incredible amount of rain over two days. I estimate we got about another 2 inches from the round tonight. And we are probably in the neighborhood of 4" over the event here. Combined with an inch from Wednesday and we are at over 5 inches for the week. And probably 10 for the month. Luckily this round moved relatively quickly through. But there is just water everywhere rn. The Crawfish is back up to just below where it was on June 4th, and that's before really any response to tonight's rain. We are probably going to have some flooding issues on every one of the quick response type streams in the area. Unfortunately for Marshall and Waterloo, that especially includes the Maunesha. And unfortunately, we may do this all over again for rain on Tuesday and then next Friday and Saturday. 48 hours is going to be nowhere enough time to dry things out before the next round.

So having driven around a bit this morning. Looks like most streams are at least bankfull if not minor to moderate flooding. The Crawfish is a touch below it's crest in March 2019 on Fall River with likely a few more hours of increases at least. Areas that haven't flooded since that or 2018 are flooded rn. There is so much water just sitting on the fields still. The Rock at Waupun is at MDT stage, and Spring Creek in Lodi is at major stage. And the Wisconsin is going to be at flood stage at Portage, so drainage for the tributaries between the Dells and Lake Wisconsin is going to be slower than usual. If we end up with anything more than an inch on Tuesday, we are in serious trouble. 

FFW in effect for a dam failure S of Mankato. The Rapidan Dam on the Blue Earth River has failed after erosion of the earth on its W side. Fortunately it's not that big of a reservoir behind it, but still. Just an incredible amount of water flowing into the Minnesota River rn. In other news around here, the rivers have appeared to have crested, for now. However, with this potential MCS tonight we could have another 1-2 inches, which would be a major blow rn. The rivers are going to take a while to come down as is, and we can't take anymore than maybe a half inch at this point. Even fields on top of hills have water in spots, that's how wet it is. And we still have whatever is going to happen this weekend. 

• Like 1

Lost a lake in Lake county from the heavy rains. Sullivan Lake, which is just W of the intersection of Hwy 2 & County 11, is now Sullivan creek with ponds. The 100+ yr old dam made of timbers broke, and the lake drained off. :(