• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 16th-21st (and beyond?) Heatwave

4 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I just realized that FWA set a record for the warmest lows for four nights in a row from Monday through Thursday, with temps never getting below 70.

Yesterday morning got down to 69 and this morning's low was 72, but 1988 said "Hi."

1988 was weird, with a large drought, a scorching 104 degrees at Toledo in late June, then lows in the 40's for the end of the month of June.

As for my area, it was +10.44F on the Monday-Friday period, some heat indices to 100 multiple times for the general area

here is a heat index of 101 at KTDZ yesterday, before a brief thunderstorm outflow cooled the temperature to 85 (but it went back up)

Oh, by the way, thankfully some significant rainfall to help the grass. The grass started to get brown when it was 99 or 100. But it got a bit better. Heavy rainfall happened in various amounts around Toledo on Wed/Thurs.

heat index 101 again.jpg

Thursday's precipitation amounts indicate lake-breeze boundaries had a huge effect.

1717564987_precip_of_6_20new1.jpg.e554497f1f8eeb1cd064ee71da47878e.jpg

20 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

It was pretty much as I expected. Hot, very humid, and miserable, but it's intensity way overblown by some of the media. 

All the tropical activity / moisture over the GOM being transported northward definitely dirtied things up as far as temp potential and cloud cover, which isn't too surprising with the transitional ENSO period we're in.

That said, Summer's just beginning and all indications are (and have been) the worst of the heat will be backloaded.

I just checked my grids locally, and despite everyone hoping this might be a cool-ish Summer for North Texas with all the rain this Spring, we already have highs in the 100s starting tomorrow for days on end (with heat headlines likely forthcoming)...:lol:

this has been a pretty respectable period of heat for this region considering it's only June, which some people seem to have forgotten. June was never expected to be super hot anyway, yet most places are running well above average on the month, so it's actually been warmer than initially thought.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 2:12 PM, Stebo said:

You mean that poorly sited PWS that's surrounded by trees :lol:

Wednesday when the original post was made

Howell airport KOZW was actually 88 when my PWS was at 88.7.

All the PWSs in the area were within 1F on the high.

Stebo gatekeeping weather data

EDIT: I had those reversed. My PWS was warmer than the airport.

2 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Wednesday when the original post was made

Howell airport KOZW was actually 88.7 when my PWS was at 88.0.

All the PWSs in the area were within 1F on the high.

Stebo gatekeeping weather data

Yes I am, first order NWS sites are more important than your tree surrounded PWS and all the other PWSs.

Although it was lacking high humidity/heat indices, this period was a solid mid-June heat wave for the area. Barely missing out on 90°+ temps on June 20th prevented a 7-day stretch of 90°+ temps, which would have ranked 3rd longest stretch on record for June.

...ORD...
June 16th: 95°
June 17th: 97°
June 18th: 94°
June 19th: 93°
June 21st: 94°
June 22nd: 93°

...MDW...
June 16th: 96°
June 17th: 97°
June 18th: 95°
June 19th: 95°