• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
June 16th-21st (and beyond?) Heatwave

15 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Unfortunately, the de-urban cold island effect is keeping temperatures in check at DTW.

C4951ABD-44D4-46E3-9270-8956DD9D74C7.png.90f8ffabe50d500328a529a8122da281.png

The Detroit area was under the influence of the outflow bubble from this morning's MCS / MCV,

The bubble has finally (mostly) eroded with temps topping out in the low/mid 90s, but the limited daytime mixing through midday put a cap on the max temp potential. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Northwest Ohio and adjacent areas of Indiana always do well with the heat. I think it's the low elevation - almost like a depression extending from Maumee Bay out to Fort Wayne - and the sandy soils.

5 minute observations show a couple of 99F readings, so likely reached at least 98F (factoring in rounding). These values are rounded in Celsius to the nearest whole degree before conversion, whereas the official readings are rounded from the nearest tenth of a degree in Celsius.

image.png.dc4c413915546c24fc972a8679b67e24.png

Toledo Executive Airport (KTDZ) did reach triple digits. 100F at 2:50 PM. An observation of 100F on the 5-minute observations is a true observation of 100F since it means the rounded Celsius temperature was 38C, which consequently means it was at least 37.5C (99.5F = 100F).

Toledo - Toledo Executive Airport (weather.gov)

My place is scorching, with 101.3 on my home (indoor) thermometer placed outside in the shade. 58.9 dew point is suspiciously low.

cooler by the lake (not really)!

cooler by the lake.jpg

39 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

My high was lowered today to 33C, I don't trust my station nor the obs for Hanover so I split and estimate I'm at 31C currently. This morning was great, still windy as usual. Places south like K-W really aren't that hot as a MCS came through at noon so til 230pm they were still at 24C!! Couldn't believe that. This is lame.

lol ya, today was nothing. Morning was 56F and high was 78F then rain and 71F for a few hours 

For my backyard this is a pretty lame heatwave to begin. Just a normal summer day 

34 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

^ I like the 95 on the far right in the middle of the Maumee.

With a little west wind, the air comes right in from the city to an on-land station at Summit St Marina. It's 86.4 in the Bay, as per a buoy

• Like 1

This was a measured hodograph with crazy storm-relative helicity. It was measured at the LNX radar after the low-level jet kicked in. There were some storms popping up in Nebraska, but no crazy isolated supercells.

1139 helicity1.jpg

It did get warmer at 4pm so I didn't bust low, probably 33C humidex of 40 at least. What is outstanding is how warm this evening is even on my hottest summer nights. The hot air is continuing to foment leading to a 8:30pm reading of still 30C!! Rare. Seeing new insects out too. 

5 hours ago, Powerball said:

While not record-breaking, 6/17 is the first time DTW reached 95*F or greater since 8/3/2022.

City hit 97 at like 6:30 lol. I imagine if we hadn't had rain and clouds in the morning we would have been near 100.

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

DVN has had a heat advisory for it's cwa for the past 2 days while LOT hasn't for theirs.  Must be some disagreement between the two offices as LOT has the hotter temps with this setup, and the humidity levels are about the same.  

Crazy LOT has no advisory IMO

13 hours ago, cyclone77 said:
DVN has had a heat advisory for it's cwa for the past 2 days while LOT hasn't for theirs.  Must be some disagreement between the two offices as LOT has the hotter temps with this setup, and the humidity levels are about the same.  

It’s due to different criteria.

DVN has lower criteria compared to offices W-S-E.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, King James said:

this from DVN does not warrant a heat advisory:

INCLUDING THE CITY OF DUBUQUE  
916 AM CDT TUE JUN 18 2024  

..HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM CDT THIS EVENING  

REST OF TODAY  
MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 80S. SOUTH  
WINDS AROUND 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

just the usual :weenie: approach by them.

Steamy overnight low of 23C, felt hot at 8am just walking with the heat of the sun already cooking. Im at 30C/86F again already at 10am, humidex of 38! High back to 34C/43. My coming overnight low now shows the once a decade (or rarer) 25C with a chance of storms! That alone would put this heatwave in high regard.

Edit: Bumped my high to 35C now since TWN shows 32C 11:20am.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Baum said:

this from DVN does not warrant a heat advisory:

INCLUDING THE CITY OF DUBUQUE  
916 AM CDT TUE JUN 18 2024  

..HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM CDT THIS EVENING  

REST OF TODAY  
MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 80S. SOUTH  
WINDS AROUND 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

just the usual :weenie: approach by them.

I’m talking about down in the Kankakee, hot as fuck out with no relief 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, King James said:

I'm sure there will be an advisory in the next few days down there. Today doesn't need one though.

2 hours ago, King James said:

1 hour ago, King James said:

it hasn't been headline worthy there...or anywhere around these parts for that matter.

HI's have not even cracked 100.

IKK's highest temp and HI happened to be yesterday, at 95/98.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Already 89/71/95 here where I’m working. Says 90 today but I think it’s underdone by 2

You guys seem to have a fair amount of cloud debris today. I'm a little surprised temps are still rising at a respectable clip.

But that mid-June sun angle can do wonders...

3 hours ago, King James said:

They really need to switch to wet bulb globe temperature, or some other measure of heat. Weird look when you have one of the hottest June days on record, and not even an advisory. LOT used to be much more diligent about getting the warnings out for the urban heat island.

image.png.4e143450e0af4ba1f6f2b9acd8c25ef2.png