• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

7 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

It totally split as it came through west of I-81.  This has been the problem all summer.  We are definitely doing better on water.  But one really, hot dry week and we will be right back in the barrel.  It is nice to see things greening up though!

Dang that is crazy. We've seen anywhere from 8 to 15 inches of rainfall just this month over on this side of the mountains... Heck even Asheville which is usually pretty dry compared to us has seen over 10 inches this month.  Over 5 inches above normal. 

• Like 1

I was happy to not get flooded out at Dollywood today with my boys and I, just a period of light to moderate showers to cool things off.  Looks dry and hot beyond the weekend for east TN but can't complain about the past week or so.  What a rollercoaster of a summer in terms of drought and wetness.  Just yesterday the creek next to my house was overflowing to the point of overtaking my carport, after crunchy dead grass the previous week.  What a time to be alive.  :guitar:

• Like 4

Another round of heavy rain and storms rolling through now. We may have some more hot flare ups but at least they won't be able to build off drought conditions imby. I'm surprised this much drought still exists. Especially down towards Chattanooga, that's been drenched the last 10 days. Looking, the airport must have gotten dodged. Dwagner reports around 10 inches of rain in his back yard. The airport barely got over 3 inches down there and I assume that's what the drought monitor is based on. 

dRABhQt.jpg

• Like 2

Rained several more times again this evening it appears. Went to Turkey Creek to a movie and it was mostly dry south of Clinton, there and back. Soaked and storming up here going down and standing water still on the road when I got back, as rain looks to have departed a few minutes before I got back in town. 

• Like 1

Moderate Flooding occurred yesterday in Cental and western Lee County. Creeks were out of banks in the Rose hill and Ewing area. These area's have received well over a foot of Rain over the last 3-4 weeks. I recorded 10.47 inches for the Month of July at my House 3 meles East of Jonesville. Currently at 2 inches for August. Area's in NE Lee County and Wise County have received much less.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, John1122 said:

Another round of heavy rain and storms rolling through now. We may have some more hot flare ups but at least they won't be able to build off drought conditions imby. I'm surprised this much drought still exists. Especially down towards Chattanooga, that's been drenched the last 10 days. Looking, the airport must have gotten dodged. Dwagner reports around 10 inches of rain in his back yard. The airport barely got over 3 inches down there and I assume that's what the drought monitor is based on. 

dRABhQt.jpg

Yeah, they need to reascess and update.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John1122 said:

I feel like Forrest Gump in Vietnam with these storms. Very very heavy rain and windy right now. I'm not sure how many days in a row this is now. Seems like it's stormed like 13 of the last 15 days. 

I know how you feel brother! Just hope we don't have to deal with those Sparrow size Mosquitoes.

• Like 1

The daily downpours have started here. Not huge showers but heavy rain while it's falling. Looks like they are going to pivot around the upper low for a few more hours. 

Next week we will be in the sinking air area of the tropical system if the gfs is to be believed and should probably stay dry.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Matthew70 said:

I must say this weekend the wx is going to be absolutely perfect for August standards.  Screen porch in the evenings will be my spot.  

One of my favorite things about tropical systems is the nice cool/dry air that often chases behind them.gfs_Td2m_seus_17.thumb.png.02107df6bf062558cebbceb45a050e43.png

• Like 3

I started watering again today. Thing's haven't dried out completely, but I'm trying my best to stay ahead of it. These next few days of slightly cooler weather could be fantastic for the grass if I can keep it happy with some water.

EDIT: I should not have done this. An outer rain band has formed and it is raining sideways. Looks like it could train for a while too. . . 

• Like 2

It feels so much better today.  I really don't like tropical systems and the sinking air on the outer edges - like a furnace!  Winds are out of the north, and the breeze feels great.  It looks like this TS system will shake-up the wx pattern again as we have decent looking temps (for this time of year) for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3

After reasonable dewpoints, Debby finally dragged in the soup for Chattanooga today. Hopefully the last of the truly nutty dews.

Temps and humidity will ebb and flow, more to the hot side than hot through August. I just see a hint of the light at the end of the tunnel. Next week will depend on where that boundary and scattered t-storms develop.

Then the central US ridge gets more nibbles on both edges, which would help us esp. East Valley. Mid-South may still be closer to mid summer for a couple weeks.

I have been out for a while. No trouble just lots at work and a last family trip end of summer break. Back to it now. Hope all are doing well here!

• Like 8

Many people in my area are mowing their lawns on a B+ evening by early August standards. But for me? I'm waiting until Saturday to do my yard work as even cooler temps/lower dewpoints will prevail. Mother Nature will soon be on her 'A' game with respect to dog day weather and its timing. Net-wise, we've had a solid stretch since July 15 minus a few scattered sorchers.  

• Like 5

Looks like one or two more 3-7 day warm spells and that might be it until October when we might (or might not) see the last gasp of heat.  There are some intermittent signals that fall could be chilly, but I am not quite ready to go there yet.  Climatology would support extended summer....but I have been fairly guarded coming into this fall and winter.  I tend to go with BN temps for mid-Nov to the last week of Dec, and then torch.  But I don't like the footing I am on right now.  If we don't have extended summer, it might be time to rethink winter.  We are about to hit shoulder season, and LR ext models go to total crap during that time.   But we could see some pretty wild swings this fall if those ext runs are even close to being correct.  I would not be shocked to see a pretty cold shot during September.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Looks like one or two more 3-7 day warm spells and that might be it until October when we might (or might not) see the last gasp of heat.  There are some intermittent signals that fall could be chilly, but I am not quite ready to go there yet.  Climatology would support extended summer....but I have been fairly guarded coming into this fall and winter.  I tend to go with BN temps for mid-Nov to the last week of Dec, and then torch.  But I don't like the footing I am on right now.  If we don't have extended summer, it might be time to rethink winter.  We are about to hit shoulder season, and LR ext models go to total crap during that time.   But we could see some pretty wild swings this fall if those ext runs are even close to being correct.  I would not be shocked to see a pretty cold shot during September.  

I’m starting to not like this long dry spell we are in.  We are almost right back where we were before what rains we did get IMBY. The LR does not show much promise of soaking rains either. Plus climatology is we are approaching those drier months. Lower humidity & leaves already falling from the dryness is not a recipe I like. 

7 hours ago, Matthew70 said:

I’m starting to not like this long dry spell we are in.  We are almost right back where we were before what rains we did get IMBY. The LR does not show much promise of soaking rains either. Plus climatology is we are approaching those drier months. Lower humidity & leaves already falling from the dryness is not a recipe I like. 

La Nina’s can be tricky.   We had decent end to July and start to August in terms of precip.  This La Niña is not playing nice - meaning it isn’t following the usual pattern of La Niña. Maybe it is technically not a Niña...but still in transition.  That might be the reason for the bipolar nature of this summer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

La Nina’s can be tricky.   We had decent end to July and start to August in terms of precip.  This La Niña is not playing nice - meaning it isn’t following the usual pattern of La Niña. Maybe it is technically not a Niña...but still in transition.  That might be the reason for the bipolar nature of this summer.

Yeah, that is what it is. 

2 hours ago, John1122 said:

Some forecasts have me at 51 degrees on Wednesday morning. That would have to be close to a record. 

in mid August 1976 Pennington gap recorded lows in the upper 40's on 3 occasions I believe. I know there were 2 days for sure. I'll try to find those records. That Month was so cool Maples began changing colors . 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

in mid August 1976 Pennington gap recorded lows in the upper 40's on 3 occasions I believe. I know there were 2 days for sure. I'll try to find those records. That Month was so cool Maples began changing colors . 

Just looked. We had 47, 47, 45, and 46 August 18th-21st. Another cold front hit to close the month and we were 42 on the 31st. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, John1122 said:

Just looked. We had 47, 47, 45, and 46 August 18th-21st. Another cold front hit to close the month and we were 42 on the 31st. 

Thanks man. Glad you had that data. I couldn't find Pennington gaps. Did find their coldest August Temp recorded. 36 degree's. I recorded 38 August 26 , 1986 at my location near Pennington gap. Coldest I'd ever recorded in August.