• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn

5 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Just had my first frozen precip of the season.  Graupel mixed in with the rain passing over currently. It's 41 degrees. 

Currently 41 here. So far just off and on very light rain here as heavier showers are weakening fast just after crossing the Ky/VA line into Lee County. Went to Walmart just north of Jonesville near Stone mountain earlier and there were puddles in on the roads and lot.  I'd venture to say Wise is getting in on some frozen up there with Temp in 30's. Snow showers definitely going to make it lower than forecast. Probably some accs up to an inch or two on more susceptible surfaces on big black MTN and High Knob by Dawn.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Currently 41 here. So far just off and on very light rain here as heavier showers are weakening fast just after crossing the Ky/VA line into Lee County. Went to Walmart just north of Jonesville near Stone mountain earlier and there were puddles in on the roads and lot.  I'd venture to say Wise is getting in on some frozen up there with Temp in 30's. Snow showers definitely going to make it lower than forecast. Probably some accs up to an inch or two on more susceptible surfaces on big black MTN and High Knob by Dawn.

This one was pretty heavy here and it sounded like sleet on my metal roof at first. Went out and it was some half melted/half frozen flakes. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Mt Leconte had its first snow at almost the exact time last year!  They had 4" of snow on Oct 16th.  Last year was the second earliest reported there.  So, I guess this makes today the second earliest reported there.

I wonder if that means over an inch. According to the GSMNP website Le Conte averages a trace of snow in September. I know temperatures in the teens have been recorded in September there. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I wonder if that means over an inch. According to the GSMNP website Le Conte averages a trace of snow in September. I know temperatures in the teens have been recorded in September there. 

I read that during a brief search for earliest snowfalls in the Smokies.  It seemed off as soon as I posted it!  It is an interesting question of how early they have seen snow greater than or equal to 1". 

• Like 2

Earliest measurable Snowfall as far as Valleys below 2000 ft In Lee and Wise County I can remember was October 13, 1977. Off and on Rain and snow showers occurred through late Afternoon. In Pennington gap they would begin as a mix and quickly turn to all Snow. Dustings would occur. In Big Stone Gap the Snow would mount up to about a half inch on the Grass, melt and repeat. 1-3" was observed above 2500 ft.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Earliest measurable Snowfall as far as Valleys below 2000 ft In Lee and Wise County I can remember was October 13, 1977. Off and on Rain and snow showers occurred through late Afternoon. In Pennington gap they would begin as a mix and quickly turn to all Snow. Dustings would occur. In Big Stone Gap the Snow would mount up to about a half inch on the Grass, melt and repeat. 1-3" was observed above 2500 ft.

Had a dusting here overnight from the 13th into the 14th in 1977, and another dusting on the 16th. Lots of low 20s for lows in that stretch. 

I've seen several similar weather events to 1995 this year and that year had October snow flakes flying too. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Had a dusting here overnight from the 13th into the 14th in 1977, and another dusting on the 16th. Lots of low 20s for lows in that stretch. 

I've seen several similar weather events to 1995 this year and that year had October snow flakes flying too. 

Yeah, was thinking about 1995 earlier. Late October saw graupel and snow mixed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John1122 said:

Notice we are ringed by freeze/frost products but MRX said that those products were no longer going to be issued here between October 1st and May 1st. I assumed it was a large scale policy but apparently it's only for Tennessee by looking at the map.

What's their reasoning?. Doesn't make much sense to me. 

• Like 1

I agree DB. I saw on Nashville’s website that there was some new products that were going to be issued nationwide, but it said they would still do frost and freeze warnings/advidories. That doesn’t make sense that Tennessee would just opt out of the frost and freeze warning when everyone else is still issuing them. 

• Like 1

So I went to MRX fb page and found the answer. Apparently they are experimenting with the rest of the TN offices this year. They have decided not to issue frost/freeze products unless it occurs outside of the Oct1-April 30th timeframe. That means they basically won’t be issuing any products bc that would be exceptionally rare for it to occur outside of that period. The reasoning was that they felt like it was “confusing” if they issued an advisory or warning and it didn’t actually make it to frost or freezing temperatures. Or that they had to wait until late in the season ala 2016 when it was November 20th. To be fair they said they would still talk about the frost/freezing potential, but just “coloring up” a weather map just to issue an advisory was not something they were going to do anymore. They did say they welcome feedback preferably by email but also welcome to comment on fb too. I don’t really know what to think about it tbh. I think it’s borderline hogwash and reminds me of the old MRX truth be known but that’s my personal opinion.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jed33 said:

So I went to MRX fb page and found the answer. Apparently they are experimenting with the rest of the TN offices this year. They have decided not to issue frost/freeze products unless it occurs outside of the Oct1-April 30th timeframe. That means they basically won’t be issuing any products bc that would be exceptionally rare for it to occur outside of that period. The reasoning was that they felt like it was “confusing” if they issued an advisory or warning and it didn’t actually make it to frost or freezing temperatures. Or that they had to wait until late in the season ala 2016 when it was November 20th. To be fair they said they would still talk about the frost/freezing potential, but just “coloring up” a weather map just to issue an advisory was not something they were going to do anymore. They did say they welcome feedback preferably by email but also welcome to comment on fb too. I don’t really know what to think about it tbh. I think it’s borderline hogwash and reminds me of the old MRX truth be known but that’s my personal opinion.

They always put an advisory out for first frost or freeze. That's right thing to do , or in our of season cases. 

• Like 1