• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlondeLonghorn
    Newest Member
    BlondeLonghorn

On 9/26/2024 at 8:19 AM, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Yeah I wasn't necessarily trying to make people think it would be the same, just that Fujiwara getting it inland quickly was the similarity I was looking at. Sorry of that came across wrong. 

One thing in the NWS Hugo site shows is a compilation of what locals remember as the worst tropical system and oddly enough there was a similar situation to Hugo (with regards to flooding I suspect because of the SLPs recorded) in 1940 in the NC mountains:

NACan1g.png

OF4Fp46.png

Harvey begs for a redo on this graphic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Windspeed said:

Perhaps we should make a Helene thread after all with everything unfolding. Pretty much everything here back to post #266 has been about Helene. How difficult would it be for @Mr Bob or one of the mods to mass move all posts after Carver's first post about it into that thread for posterity? If it's too much of a pain, never mind.

100% agree. It will take some time but also be well worth it in hindsight. 

• Like 1

The number of missing has increased drastically today in both NC and E TN.   My heart goes out to their families.  I can’t even begin to understand or imagine,  

Aid is streaming into the area right now.  Thank you to the folks who are working this.  We saw a convoy of medical personnel this evening.  They were headed east on 26.

• 100% 1

10 hours ago, Matthew70 said:

This is a much worse situation than the Commie and Soros controlled Media have been reporting. Folks need to open their Eyes to what's going on. Our Government is hijacked. As far as the main thing this post represents however, is the times we're living in and the need for People to turn to The Lord in repentance and become part of The Body of Christ. Thanks for posting Mathew :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Windspeed said:

@Holston_River_Rambler, want to take a guess at what occurred in September of 1989(the record we just broke)?  Hurricane Hugo.  Pretty good post you had a few pages ago.  Money.

• Like 2

Man, the South Fork in Kingsport has been sort of off-and-on muddy since this event started, but was running reasonably (and oddly) clear yesterday.  Even the water at Warriors' Path was normal.  Whew.  Not today - at least in Kingsport (haven't been to Warriors').  The water is maybe as muddy as I have seen it.  It looks like the North Fork on a bad day - coffee creamer brown.  I am guessing the clear water was TVA just clearing water in advance of the floodwaters.  I am guessing that today, the waters from the Watauga have made it into the Holston system.   Sometimes it takes a few days for muddy water to traverse through Wilbur, Watauga, Boone, and then Patric Henry lakes.  

• Like 2

It was kinda hard to tell on webcams but it looked to me like the big boat dock at the riverfront started going underwater today. The Ironman triathlon was held here yesterday. They had already announced a cancellation of the swimming portion of the event on Friday. 

9 hours ago, Mr Bob said:

This is a terrible tragedy unlike anything we have seen in this forum's history...please let's keep it to weather and information as we have been over the last week. Thank you. 

Yes, the point is the mainstream media for a couple days wouldn't report nearly the scope or magnitude of the Catastrophe. I noticed today they finally came around and mentioned some were saying biblical in definition.

3 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

In terms of a colder pattern, it looks like a two step forward, one step back....step down pattern for October.  Meaning, it looks progressively colder with each week.  

I see 40's for lows on the horizon! May be a mirage for my area but I'll take the visual, even on the crap apps. Either way, the pattern seems transient with the northwestly flow taking more of the controls. Fall is definiteiy a dish best served cold-er. 

• Like 1

Water conservation orders for NE TN were posted last night....

Our thoughts and prayers remain with our fellow Tennesseans dealing with the severity of damage caused by the storm,” said TDEC Commissioner David Salyers.  “In this critical time of limited resources clean water is essential for recovery and we call upon all citizens in these affected areas to conserve as much water as is possible.”

The counties where mandatory water conservation orders are in place for the entirety of the county are Sullivan, Carter, Johnson, Greene, Unicoi, and Washington. Parts of the following counties are under the mandatory water conservation order: Cocke (Newport Utilities), Sevier (Webb Utility District), and Jefferson (Dandridge).

The call is for citizens to conserve any water that is for non-essential use. Examples of non-essential use of water are clothes washing, running dishwashers, landscaping irrigation, or washing cars.

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Damascus, VA, US58 between there and Johnson Co., TN, completely gone.

Geez at first I was like dang thats bad but not impossible to get something threw maybe but then as it went on I was like ok where is the road?? oh.... yeah thats bad

I got up to Roan Mountain yesterday.  It is mind boggling the amount of water that came down that mountain.  I think the only thing that saved lives there was they had been through similar flooding recently, and the homes at risk then are not there now.  The water volume (to me) looked worse this time around.  The roads that windspeed shared above...that is what it looks like in the narrow valleys of that area.  I looked down to check directions once, and looked up to see my lane completely missing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm wondering if there should be a separate tropical thread? Either way, it's been a fascinating weather day. I didn't think when it started we would be talking about Milton threatening Wilma's lowest Atlantic pressure mark (882 mb), but here we are wondering if this thing will flirt with 200 mph peak winds before dry air starts to fix in. Certainly, the explosive tightening of the core has been textbook material. Curious if this will have room to weaken down to CAT-3 before landfall if the intensity ceiling keeps climbing...?

• Like 2