• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2024 Obs/Discussion

4 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Early dismissal for Philly schools due to the heat. It’s becoming an annual ritual. 

When I was growing up, we never began school before Labor Day. Maybe the Philly school district will one day realize August is a summer month.

If anything they should adjust for globular warming and open a week later

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, RedSky said:

If anything they should adjust for globular warming and open a week later

Then they would have to end the school year a week later and people will bitch about that...can't win. It may be just as hot next mid June also? 

May have some rain late Wed and also by the weekend....

73F/DP 65F

• Like 1

Here where I am in NJ we always start right after Labor Day.  Has been that way forever.  I did notice though that a few school nearby opened this week.  That is pretty odd for NJ, but it has been a little more common lately.  

Speaking of snow days, last year my area had to use 2 of them for flooding, lol

20 hours ago, RedSky said:

How was yesterday below normal? I had 87F and perusing local wunderground sensors I am seeing them in the 85-90F range for highs because yesterday was a HOT day lol

Wunderground does not QC those readings. Lots of folks on that site have poor siting issues or heat shield problems. The Highs on Sunday across Chester County were mostly in low 80's in higher county spots -  Some NWS MADIS station reports from Sunday included West Grove 80.2/  Atglen 80.9/ Glenmoore 82.3 / Kennett Square 82.2 and KMQS Airport 82.2

A brief warm up underway across the area today. Mid 80's today with many spots reaching the 90's tomorrow. But a quick cool down as Thursday and Friday have temps back below normal in the 70's for high temps. Small chances of showers with the front Wednesday night thru Thursday.
Chester County Daily Records for Today: High 100 degrees at Phoenixville (1948) / Low 42 degrees also at Phoenixville (1944) / Rain 6.94" at Glenmoore (2011) from the remnants of Hurricane Irene that impacted the area.
image.png.123bc9260b516c89ed9663808feb6686.png

25 minutes ago, FPizz said:

Here where I am in NJ we always start right after Labor Day.  Has been that way forever.  I did notice though that a few school nearby opened this week.  That is pretty odd for NJ, but it has been a little more common lately.  

Speaking of snow days, last year my area had to use 2 of them for flooding, lol

It was like that until I think 2022, when the NJSIAA moved up the start of high school football season to late August. I think the last 3 years most high schools in NJ start in late August to accomodate for the change.

If I was in charge, I'd shorten the school year. I'd make the football season and school start in late September/early October. (There's no reason why high school football is starting before the NFL regular season anyways. If anything, the NFL season should be the one starting in August.)

Make the school last year late September through March. (This was the semester school schedule at Drexel. It works well. Not to mention, we saw this could work during the pandemic.) Then, April-August can be used for summer school, for those students who need to complete classes they didn't finish during the year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhiEaglesfan712 said:

It was like that until I think 2022, when the NJSIAA moved up the start of high school football season to late August. I think the last 3 years most high schools in NJ start in late August to accomodate for the change.

If I was in charge, I'd shorten the school year. I'd make the football season and school start in late September/early October. (There's no reason why high school football is starting before the NFL regular season anyways. If anything, the NFL season should be the one starting in August.)

Make the school last year late September through March. (This was the semester school schedule at Drexel. It works well. Not to mention, we saw this could work during the pandemic.) Then, April-August can be used for summer school, for those students who need to complete classes they didn't finish during the year.

yeah, I think our high school has their first football game this Friday, before the school year even starts.  I have 2 Jr's this year and they were talking about wanting to go watch, but we are headed to Florida for a few days to end summer.  

Looking like tomorrow may be the last day of 90s this year, at least in the Lehigh Valley. The pattern for the next few weeks looks to be dominated by cold fronts coming in from Canada and the Great Lakes. And by the time the pattern breaks it’ll be really tough to get intense heat and humidity back into the area given the time of year.

• Like 1

Philly has 14 days above normal after today this month and is only a few tenths below normal for the month maybe only -0.1F after tomorrow

Wow what a "cool" month, then consider it's adjusted to the new 20 year norm

4 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Not sure if they would need to extend the school year by a week. With the above mentioned globular warming, it's not like they'll be using built-in snow. days. :sizzle: 

And the last week of grade school was a joke overall. Finals are done, bunch of half days for no reason and in Catholic school the nuns had us cleaning/scrubbing the old wooden desk or sweeping/mopping the floor. Oh yeah, no A/C either. They just want to fulfill the state requirement of school days however possible...     

87.jpg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Philly has 14 days above normal after today this month and is only a few tenths below normal for the month maybe only -0.1F after tomorrow

Today will be Phillys 31st 90F day, tomorrow 32nd. After that it looks like slim pickings...

21 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

And the last week of grade school was a joke overall. Finals are done, bunch of half days for no reason and in Catholic school the nuns had us cleaning/scrubbing the old wooden desk or sweeping/mopping the floor. Oh yeah, no A/C either. They just want to fulfill the state requirement of school days however possible...     

87.jpg

Don't forget carrying folding chairs...from the auditorium, to the cafeteria, to the library, to the church basement, to empty classrooms...I must have carried hundreds of folding chairs from here to China!

89F/DP 65F

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, RedSky said:

UHI FTW....look outside of the heat island for reality

Today will be our last hot day for a while as many spots could touch the 90 degree mark which for some may be the last one of the season. The cold front will cross the region this evening but stall south of the area and creep back north as a warm front over the weekend. Best chance of rain and some could be heavy in any t-storms looks to be late tonight. Temps tomorrow will be sharply cooler with highs in the 70's...a few degrees warmer but not far from normal temps for the weekend before a turn to cooler again by Labor Day and the new work week.
Chester County Records for today: High 100 degrees at Phoenixville (1948) / Record Low 38 degrees at Coatesville (1982) / Rain 8.00" at Phoenixville (2011)
image.png.fe4c297ac0d483fc006de50fab62974e.png

Need rain!  Had to pull out the hose on Sunday and the last rain that I had IMBY was 0.04" 9 days ago.  I have had 5.82" for the month, which ain't bad at all, but most of it was at the beginning of the month and then things dried up.

After a low of 72 this morning, It's currently a sunny 88 with dp 74.  I expect to hit in the 90s today and that would give me 90+ day #6 for the month.  And with 15 90+ days in July + 8 in June, would be a total of 29 for the season to date., which is pretty high for me.  I normally only get about 1/2 of that.

On 8/26/2024 at 4:06 PM, JTA66 said:

Early dismissal for Philly schools due to the heat. It’s becoming an annual ritual. 

When I was growing up, we never began school before Labor Day. Maybe the Philly school district will one day realize August is a summer month.

We never started before Labor Day when I was in the schools in the '60s and '70s.  That was something "new" that started in 2018 - 2019 (and that idea quickly ended thanks to a heatwave).  The following years were hit with the pandemic and remote school, and then the before Labor Day was tried again in 2022 - 2023 and... :maphot: with 1/2 days.

Last year they started after Labor Day and did miss any excessive heat. 

The Superintendents that they keep bringing in keep fantasizing that the 100-year old school buildings (mostly elementary and middle schools) are only a couple decades old and they are obviously not. :thumbsdown:   And then you even had Jalen Hurts donate $200,000 worth of window ACs for the schools but they can't even install them because of the old electric circuits and wiring in the classrooms (probably lots of 15 amp ones).

I watched during my niece's lifetime, where her district (Springfield Township, Montco) built not one but TWO brand new schools (an elementary and a middle) from the ground up.  Meanwhile this past January, the first brand new school built in North Philly in 70 years, was finally opened- https://whyy.org/articles/thomas-m-peirce-school-new-philadelphia/

A 2nd brand new school just opened in West Philly last week - https://www.chalkbeat.org/philadelphia/2024/08/20/school-built-with-community-help-features-innovation-lab-and-new-playground/

On 8/26/2024 at 4:40 PM, PhiEaglesfan712 said:

My guess is that the high school football season for Philly started this past weekend, so the schools have to be session.

No that's not why.  They were trying to end earlier to -get this- "avoid the heat" in June.  :huh:

On 8/27/2024 at 9:15 AM, JTA66 said:

Not sure if they would need to extend the school year by a week. With the above mentioned globular warming, it's not like they'll be using built-in snow days. :sizzle: 

During and after the pandemic, since they have actually set up a "remote class" plan, they pretty much got rid of snow days.  That definitely pissed off the kids because there is very little now (at least weather-wise) that would close the schools. I.e., no more "snow days".  What they'll do in some cases is have kids come in and get a half-day if there is some kind of weather-related issue during the school day, and that will count as a "full day" for state purposes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

UHI FTW....look outside of the heat island for reality

August

Pocono mountains .5F below normal, no heat island there

Sellersville +.8F 

Phoenixville +.4F 

Doylestown +.6F

Go figure Allentown's having a cool month -1.9F yet Reading -.1F

Looking grim the only legit shower chances are Saturday night models have around .50". After that it's over and we need Albedo drought guy to lead us like Moses from this desert to the land of milk and honey&rain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

August

Sellersville +.8F 

Phoenixville +.4F 

Doylestown +.6F

Correction RedSky - Phoenixville NWS COOP station  is currently at 73.1 degrees thru yesterday their 30 year normal August is 74.9 degrees - which is actually 1.8 degrees BELOW normal for August. Even looking at their 130+ year averages they are running 0.4 degrees below normal. Also -Perkasie is at 72.0 their August Average is 72.8 - so they are also 0.8 degrees below normal this August.

To further drive home the clearly below normal month at most locations.

Across all 13 NWS COOP/Airport and MADIS stations across Chester County..and also here in EN - all stations through yesterday are running between no less than 0.5 degrees below normal to as much as 2.7 degrees below normal. Below are the averages this month and the negative departure from normal for August.

Atglen 71.6 (1.3) / Chester Springs 71.2 (2.2) / Devault 72.1 (1.7) / Glenmoore 71.6 (1.2) / Kennett Square 71.5 (1.5) / Longwood Gardens 72.2 (1.3) / West Bradford Twp. 71.1 (1.8) / Nottingham 71.0 (2.0) / Warwick Twp 70.3 (2.7) / West Chester 72.0 (2.1) / West Grove 72.4 (1.4) East Nantmeal 71.1 (1.5) / KMQS (Coatesville) 72.4 (0.5) / KOQN (West Chester) 74.1 (2.1) and Spring City NWS Coop site at 73.4 (1.2)

So are we keeping this thread going till 9/1 and then switching to the fall thread?

Very hot and muggy out today. Hoping this is the last of this type of weather this year. Short range models like a complex of storms somewhere in eastern PA this evening but they disagree on whether it’s in the Poconos, Lehigh Valley, or Philly area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Looking grim the only legit shower chances are Saturday night models have around .50". After that it's over and we need Albedo drought guy to lead us like Moses from this desert to the land of milk and honey&rain.

Here is the situation. I will lead you to the land of milk and honey if mother nature allows me. The current train of dying tropical storms near Hawaii will swing around to the north and die out as LP troughs over the Gulf Of Alaska over the next few weeks.  With La Nina pattern taking over early, these parade of former tropical storms will become strong LP's hitting the Pacific NW coast from Oregon and especially  along  the west coast of British Columbia Canada over the course of the upcoming weeks. As they come ashore, they will drag cooler Canadian air masses across the northern areas of the US ( below normal  temps for sure) and should  be loaded with some cloudy dreary showery/rainy days.  We will be edge of this parade of storms and as the  recipient of these constant barrage of strong cool fronts sometime after 9/15.  Hopefully this Pacific moisture can be maintained all the way to the east coast with these cool fronts.  Driving forces for my prediction: any stalled out dying tropical system along the east coast from 9/8 to 9/15 will help fill the creeks as well

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

August

Sellersville +.8F 

Phoenixville +.4F 

Doylestown +.6F

Also I ran an analysis on Sellersville with NWS COOP data since 1949.

Through yesterday they have an Average Temp of 72.9 this month. Their long term average of all years since 1949 is 73.5 degrees (0.6 degrees lower than avg.) - but of interest their average August Temp just in the most recent 30 year period is actually lower at 72.7 (only 0.2 degrees above avg.) August's seem to have cooled quite a bit in recent years at Sellersville as you can see in the trend lines since 1949!

image.thumb.png.c099794961536e5fd6ceb317633d4413.png

2 hours ago, LVblizzard said:

So are we keeping this thread going till 9/1 and then switching to the fall thread?

Very hot and muggy out today. Hoping this is the last of this type of weather this year. Short range models like a complex of storms somewhere in eastern PA this evening but they disagree on whether it’s in the Poconos, Lehigh Valley, or Philly area.

Yeah, the (met) "Summer" thread is JJA and (met) "Fall" is SON. :lol:

Well since we are just under 3 hours before sunset, it looks like my high for today was 95.  Lots of cumulus have funneled in and it's currently partly sunny and 92 with dp 74.

How about tomorrow morphing from a zero or 20% chance of shower day to 40%. Heck the NAM's are gung ho wild and have off and on showers all day now. When you have one week and two other days of plans all drought summer long and it finds a way to rain most of that week and on those two days..

this pitiful crap tonight is just another  tease. Nice downpours in central pa tonight near Lewistown will hit the Berks county line and become DOA. This process of missing the area from Macungie to Reading to Quakertown and south toward Limerick is becoming the norm. The cells tonight should break part going south and north of this are.  This situation happened last night and it looks to repeat again tonight.

• Like 1