Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2024 Obs/Discussion

21 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

What are you growing?

Nothing lol

But surrounded by fields and farms, ponds and streams. The local sweet corn has taken a hit with lateness and overall quality. Then there is the nearby family member with a garden I have to listen too, like later on today after I told them not to water on Thursday ALOT of rain and possibly flooding was impending...

STS Watches up -

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 634
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
200 PM EDT SUN AUG 18 2024

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 634 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1000 PM EDT
FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

PAC001-011-017-025-029-037-041-043-045-055-069-071-075-077-079-
089-091-093-095-097-099-101-103-107-115-127-131-133-190200-
/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0634.240818T1800Z-240819T0200Z/

PA
.    PENNSYLVANIA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ADAMS                BERKS               BUCKS
CARBON               CHESTER             COLUMBIA
CUMBERLAND           DAUPHIN             DELAWARE
FRANKLIN             LACKAWANNA          LANCASTER
LEBANON              LEHIGH              LUZERNE
MONROE               MONTGOMERY          MONTOUR
NORTHAMPTON          NORTHUMBERLAND      PERRY
PHILADELPHIA         PIKE                SCHUYLKILL
SUSQUEHANNA          WAYNE               WYOMING
YORK
$$

NJC001-003-005-007-009-011-013-015-017-019-021-023-025-027-029-
031-033-035-037-039-041-190200-

NJ
.    NEW JERSEY COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ATLANTIC             BERGEN              BURLINGTON
CAMDEN               CAPE MAY            CUMBERLAND
ESSEX                GLOUCESTER          HUDSON
HUNTERDON            MERCER              MIDDLESEX
MONMOUTH             MORRIS              OCEAN
PASSAIC              SALEM               SOMERSET
SUSSEX               UNION               WARREN
$$

DEC001-003-005-190200-

DE
.    DELAWARE COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

KENT                 NEW CASTLE          SUSSEX
$$

After a low of 69 yesterday, I only made it up to 77 and actually eked out 0.06" of rain.  Today after a low of 70, I managed to cash in on the overnight thunder-bumper to get 0.47" of rain (had hit about the limit before needing to hand-water out there, although the temps the past week were thankfully not the mid-upper 90s, so that helped stretch it).

Currently partly sunny, 86 and tropical, with dp 76

Family members garden looks like the apocalypse hit it lol, worst tomatoes I have ever seen. That's what happens when most of the summer rains fell twice all summer here with the first two weeks of July and four days in early August.

9 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Family members garden looks like the apocalypse hit it lol, worst tomatoes I have ever seen. That's what happens when most of the summer rains fell twice all summer here with the first two weeks of July and four days in early August.

I have a "Fourth of July" tomato that I had picked up on a whim back in May and it finally set its first tomato a couple weeks ago. :huh:  It had been too warm at night when it finally started flowering, to actually pollinate (forget during the day with the temps).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RedSky said:

At least you got tomatoes that you can say were the worst you ever seen.  We got not one tomato not a one!  I only had three plants though.  (We had them in buckets not sure that is the way to go??)  Early on in late June there was a tomato about the size of a golf ball but it was all brown on the bottom. 

We did get one green pepper!

Currently partly sunny 86f humidity 67% feels like 95f dewpoint 75f pressure 29.71

Rain today: 0.00"

Event Total: 0.21"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

At least you got tomatoes that you can say were the worst you ever seen.  We got not one tomato not a one!  I only had three plants though.  (We had them in buckets not sure that is the way to go??)  Early on in late June there was a tomato about the size of a golf ball but it was all brown on the bottom. 

We did get one green pepper!

Currently partly sunny 86f humidity 67% feels like 95f dewpoint 75f pressure 29.71

Rain today: 0.00"

Event Total: 0.21"

I have a theory that it was too hot for tomatoes this summer, with the irregular rains delivering the death blow.

Strangely however peppers have done ok.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Nothing lol

But surrounded by fields and farms, ponds and streams. The local sweet corn has taken a hit with lateness and overall quality. Then there is the nearby family member with a garden I have to listen too, like later on today after I told them not to water on Thursday ALOT of rain and possibly flooding was impending...

Hopefully you'll "get some" as the day goes on! Have a popup here putting down some decent rain at the moment, and it smells good too.

Screenshot_20240818_150150_Chrome.jpg.1da85161c5fbe9c60d2d0b2a8e471b5f.jpg

15 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

The skies finally opened up after we got some sun this afternoon it's nice to see the rain showers pop-up everywhere and heavy downpours it's about d*** time. 

Skies opened up here twice for about two minutes. Major torrential downpours but man were they brief.

.20" today

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Spectacularly bad flood situation in southwest Connecticut with more heavy rain headed into the same area.

That is some impressive rain north of New York City Heading northeast slowly. 

Looks like we have some action too coming in from the west and southwest. 

Definitely some sort of a boundary NYC to Allentown down to Lancaster. 

5 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

That is some impressive rain north of New York City Heading northeast slowly. 

Looks like we have some action too coming in from the west and southwest. 

Definitely some sort of a boundary NYC to Allentown down to Lancaster. 

Constant rumbles to the west here and an orange moon to the southeast

31 minutes ago, LVblizzard said:

Getting missed by the training storms so far today. Lots of thunder and lightning though.

This training line is hugging rt 22..I'm by the mall and it will pour for 15..20 mins..then line will bounce north for like 10 mins..then back south. Lightning just struck near me knocked power out for 10 secs then back on.

1 minute ago, shadow_ said:

This training line is hugging rt 22..I'm by the mall and it will pour for 15..20 mins..then line will bounce north for like 10 mins..then back south. Lightning just struck near me knocked power out for 10 secs then back on.

I’m about 3-4 miles south of 22. Radar has looked nasty that way. Finally getting some heavy rain here from a new cell that just popped up.

7 minutes ago, RedSky said:

5" radar estimates north side of I78 near Fogelsville

Yep, areas to my immediate northwest getting hammered right now- around Kuhnsville to South Whitehall township.  I have received about .75  in of rain from various intense but short in duration downpours throughout the day. The saving grace- the sun popped out right after noon and the air became quickly unstabilized. First time in months this has happened. It was refreshing seeing towering cumulonimbus clouds forming all around me with the sun still out. The street dry out, then it rains and the streets steam up. The convective portion of this event has been nice for a change too- again all because the sun came out right at noon instead of right before sunset. This is how summer should be, not cloudy all day with smoke haze hot sticky and no rain in the picture.

Just checked multiple PWS along 22 from Fogelsville to Bethlehem, and all of them in the 3-4 inch range.

Like others here, I missed it by a few miles as well. I was scraped a few times by that lone and got some tropical downpours earlier that did not last too long. Cannot complain to be at nearly 5 1/2” month to date. After tomorrow, there is little rain in the extended forecast.