Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2024 Obs/Discussion

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I mean, did we expect otherwise with a Nina brewing? See y'all in 2026:

cansips_z500a_namer_7.thumb.png.83cb9622802938536301c626558b7cf5.png

Aside from those of us in the Lehigh Valley who have gotten lucky with mesoscale events, we’ve all been in a serious snow drought for the last 2 winters. We’re due for a decent winter.

• Like 2

Had a high of 86 yesterday and a low this morning of 67 as the dewpoint finally got down into the lower 60s.

There's a quasi-stationary front nearby that I guess is streaming clouds and stuff up along the coast and overhead so it's currently overcast and 75 with dp 62.

4 hours ago, Albedoman said:

Really a debbie downer. I was expecting lows in the mid 50's with decent dewpoints and a little breeze. Boy am I suprised when the overnight lows barely just reached 60 degrees with dewponts still in the low 60's. All Debby did was raise the humidities in the overnight areas, promote mold and mushroom growth. The worst part is there is no breeze at all in the evening. The midwest is getting the refreshing airmass. By the time it reaches here, it will warm up another 5-10 degrees at night. Record lows in the Great lakes - upper 40's to lows 50's  here jack squat. The windows will stay shut as the dewpoints still remain in the 60's. If you open yoor windows, you are basically allowing the heat to create steamy conditions in the house  in the evening with no breeze. Its really  pitiful when the windows steam up the last few mornings on the outside even when I set the temps in the house in the house at 70 degrees. When does a real Canadian air mass over us?  LOL

Probably October! :lol:  At least down this way.  That's when I start preparing my potted "tender" tropicals to bring in for winter (that set of plants don't like night temps below the low-mid 50s).

Also keeping an eye on the Atlantic as Ernesto may pop off in the next couple days.

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I mean, did we expect otherwise with a Nina brewing? See y'all in 2026:

cansips_z500a_namer_7.thumb.png.83cb9622802938536301c626558b7cf5.png

The first WINTER CANCEL!  Bookmarked.  :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Albedoman said:

Really a debbie downer. I was expecting lows in the mid 50's with decent dewpoints and a little breeze. Boy am I suprised when the overnight lows barely just reached 60 degrees with dewponts still in the low 60's. All Debby did was raise the humidities in the overnight areas, promote mold and mushroom growth. The worst part is there is no breeze at all in the evening. The midwest is getting the refreshing airmass. By the time it reaches here, it will warm up another 5-10 degrees at night. Record lows in the Great lakes - upper 40's to lows 50's  here jack squat. The windows will stay shut as the dewpoints still remain in the 60's. If you open yoor windows, you are basically allowing the heat to create steamy conditions in the house  in the evening with no breeze. Its really  pitiful when the windows steam up the last few mornings on the outside even when I set the temps in the house in the house at 70 degrees. When does a real Canadian air mass over us?  LOL

Patience 50's and crisp tonight the midwest air is filtering in.

2 hours ago, LVblizzard said:

Northern lights are apparently visible over much of the US tonight. Anyone seeing them? I’m wondering if I should make the drive to northwestern Lehigh County where there’s not much light pollution.

Was watching the Perseids then out of nowhere the Aurora began lighting up the northern sky pink and observing some white pillars.

Why have I heard nothing about major solar activity?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BBasile said:

It's currently 60.2F.  That's the lowest temp since June 16 (57.6F).  

I can't wait to get into some of that.  I am currently in Charleston and the low struggled to get to 80f.  Driving home tomorrow.  Outside of Debby coming through Florida and SC have been on fire!   All of the rivers around Charleston are still near record levels down here but are forecasted to drop below major flood stage by Wednesday of this week that is crazy.  I guess that is what 10-20" of rain over a large area does.

• Like 2

Bottomed out at 60F this morning. Currently 70F/DP 60F.

Starting to feel like late summer out there. Yeah, we probably have plenty of hot & humid days to go, but we certainly earned this break!

All spots saw temps fall into the 50's this morning. It looks like a near perfect late summer week on tap across the area with sunny skies and low humidity. Highs no higher than the low 80's and night in the upper 50's to lower 60's. No rain chances till toward the weekend.
Chester County records for today: High 101 at Coatesville (1900) / Low 45 degrees at Coatesville (1930) / Rain 5.22" also at Coatesville (1955. That rain was from Hurricane Connie which was followed just a few days later by Hurricane Diane. At Coatesville in that month 17.81" of rain fell along with 16.87" at Devault.
image.png.86fae38d4f422c594b50e53ed71a36a5.png

8 hours ago, RedSky said:

Was watching the Perseids then out of nowhere the Aurora began lighting up the northern sky pink and observing some white pillars.

Why have I heard nothing about major solar activity?

Heard the aurora was fading after midnight last night so I decided to go to bed. From what I’m reading it perked up again past 2 am. I regret not staying up for it.

On 8/11/2024 at 10:38 AM, ChescoWx said:

Yet....I am betting on at least 2 major snow events....book it!!

My thinking is that this upcoming winter will be similar to 1998-99 and 2007-08. Both were strong la ninas with cold subsurfaces. We'll likely have below average snowfall and above average temperatures, but there will be a moment of snow or two.

Fall is most likely going to be warm and dry, while spring will be much closer to average temperaturewise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LVblizzard said:

Heard the aurora was fading after midnight last night so I decided to go to bed. From what I’m reading it perked up again past 2 am. I regret not staying up for it.

One of those things you never know and have to be looking at the rare right time and have clear skies. I saw the real deal now not like that slight fuzzy patch back in April. Additionally 22 meteors i think was the most I have ever seen in an hour. A few of them zipped through the Aurora it was like a Hallmark moment lol.

Bucket list item checked

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Solar storms are ongoing reaching G4 intensity over the last 24 hours and there is "potential" for more northern lights tonight.

Forecast for tonight is mostly clear with very few clouds. Let’s hope we can get a good show.

• Like 2

KP6 currently and may be still rising so the northern lights are a possible go. Last night after midnight was at KP7 rising to KP8 after sunrise.

Was at KP7 falling to KP6 when the clouds broke for viewing in April.

Morning lows across Chester County have been running almost 6 degrees below normal with this morning's cool spot being Warwick Twp at 54 degrees. Below normal temps look to continue today before we warm to near normal for much of the rest of the work week. Rain chances increase this weekend with near normal temperatures.
Chester County records for today: High 103 degrees at Phoenixville (1944) / Low 43 degrees at Coatesville (1930) / Rain Devault 4.18" (2018)
image.png.845e8bc2ce8c3a25837404cc0b05c6ef.png

20 hours ago, PhiEaglesfan712 said:

My thinking is that this upcoming winter will be similar to 1998-99 and 2007-08. Both were strong la ninas with cold subsurfaces. We'll likely have below average snowfall and above average temperatures, but there will be a moment of snow or two.

Fall is most likely going to be warm and dry, while spring will be much closer to average temperaturewise.

Yep those were both below normal snow seasons with 1998/99 with 23.6" and 2007/08 just 13.8". March of 1999 did have one major snowstorm with 11.2" falling on the 14th/15th.

51 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

Yep those were both below normal snow seasons with 1998/99 with 23.6" and 2007/08 just 13.8". March of 1999 did have one major snowstorm with 11.2" falling on the 14th/15th.

1998-99 had some moments. It was warm for most of the winter, but we got some good snows in the first half of January and in mid-March. Also, the snow on Dec 23-24, just a few days after we had 60-degree record warmth (and a few weeks earlier, it was in the 70s). That was the White Christmas that came out of nowhere! (We're well overdue for a White Christmas. I think the last one was 2002.)

36 minutes ago, PhiEaglesfan712 said:

1998-99 had some moments. It was warm for most of the winter, but we got some good snows in the first half of January and in mid-March. Also, the snow on Dec 23-24, just a few days after we had 60-degree record warmth (and a few weeks earlier, it was in the 70s). That was the White Christmas that came out of nowhere! (We're well overdue for a White Christmas. I think the last one was 2002.)

Here in Chester County our last White Christmas was in 2012 when 2" fell on Christmas Eve

Lower spots in the county again touched below normal low temps in the 50's this AM... while the higher spots stayed in the lower 60's. Our great weather continues for the rest of the work week with temperatures close to normal for mid-August before rain chances ramp up toward the weekend.
Chester County records for today: High 101 degrees at West Chester (2002) / Low 40 degrees at Morgantown/Elverson (1964) / Rain 2.80" at Phoenixville (1919)
image.png.fdc60fe6ce9c6a077edbdbdcc895dba7.png

I'd say seasonal forecasting for winter is a straight crapshoot these days with warm and snowless becoming more or less the default state. I mean last year was pretty unanimously supposed to be an average to slightly above average winter that was well below normal. Most expected 2020-2021 to be mediocre and we ended up OK. ENSO is no longer a real good indicator for how winter is going to behave and hasn't been for like 10 years now. Pretty much just have to wait until the end of November and assess as it unfolds. If you go warm and snowless around here on a seasonal outlook, it's going to end up correct more often than not. The climo around here has always been feast or famine when it comes to snowfall and the late 2000's/early 2010's skewed the perception of how many good snow years we actually get. 

• Like 1