• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2024 Obs/Discussion

1 hour ago, Kevin Reilly said:

My rain gauge must be cracked at home my sister in law checked it and it only had a half inch in it.  I thought Media picked up 5” yesterday? Unless it wasn’t my part of Media perhaps Middletown.  Was it that sporadic? 

Funny you mention this. FOX29 last night at 10pm had Media PA at 5"....literally just now watching CBS3 has Media PA at 2.39" "in the last 24 hrs" so something is really messed up. Are these coming from official resources or public spotters? Personally I believe the 2.39" more so than the 5"...

68F/DP 66F  

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Reilly said:

My rain gauge must be cracked at home my sister in law checked it and it only had a half inch in it.  I thought Media picked up 5” yesterday? Unless it wasn’t my part of Media perhaps Middletown.  Was it that sporadic? 

According to radar estimates, there's a pretty sharp gradient in there.  Goes from 5 inches to 2.5 pretty quickly.  Nothing near half an inch, though. 

Screenshot_20240807_162643_RadarScope.jpg

Just now, BBasile said:

According to radar estimates, there's a pretty sharp gradient in there.  Goes from 5 inches to 2.5 pretty quickly.  Nothing near half an inch, though. 

Screenshot_20240807_162643_RadarScope.jpg

Good pickup. Maybe FOX (5") received measurement in one part of Media and CBS3 (2.39") in another...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Funny you mention this. FOX29 last night at 10pm had Media PA at 5"....literally just now watching CBS3 has Media PA at 2.39" "in the last 24 hrs" so something is really messed up. Are these coming from official resources or public spotters? Personally I believe the 2.39" more so than the 5"...

68F/DP 66F  

Yea I would not know I’m 1,0004 miles away in Orlando.  I told my sister in law to dump to see how much Debby will bring just curious.

Last nights total .45 in Lower Macungie,Ancient oaks . Not a flooding event for sure.  In the last two hours however, I have received nearly .50 inch of rain with these very localized tropical downpours. Hardest rains for awhile here. Cannot wait until Sunday/Monday with the the new airmass.  The skies should be a deep blue with Debby washing out all of the heat, haze/smoke, pollen and humidity

Last nights total .45 in Lower Macungie,Ancient oaks . Not a flooding event for sure.  In the last two hours however, I have received nearly .50 inch of rain with these very localized tropical downpours. Hardest rains for awhile here. Cannot wait until Sunday/Monday with the the new airmass.  The skies should be a deep blue with Debby washing out all of the heat, haze/smoke, pollen and humidity

I am 5 minutes away from you and it has rained much of the day without anything on radar. I have received 0.68 from this “invisible” rain today. I sit at almost 1 3/4” for the 2 day event.

This rain is great for me as a food delivery driver. These are some of the busiest weeknights I’ve had in awhile and I’m making some good money this week. I almost don’t want the sunny weather and low humidity next week!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Another 0.47" since midnight here in East Nantmeal - our 3 day total is up to 2.29"
Chances of more showers today and especially tomorrow....the heaviest rain from the remnants of Debby look to especially impact areas west of Chester County but some spots in the county could pick up another inch or two.
By the weekend our temperatures look to fall to below normal levels with highs mainly in the 70's and nights in the 50's with sunny skies - almost an early fall preview.
Chester County records for today: High 104 degrees at Phoenixville (1918) / Low 47 degrees at Coatesville (1989) / Rain 3.21" at West Chester (1985)
image.png.debd2300438b517dbece01a4281df046.png

After a low of 66 this morning, I managed to get a round 1 of rain between 5 - 6 am from a pre-Debby band that lifted up from the south, giving me 0.19".   Have been under some more scattered rain now backing in and lifting up from the SE for an additional 0.12" for a round 2, giving me 0.31" total at post time.

Currently misty with some intermittent light rain and 70, with dp 70.

Slight risk for the region tomorrow with a big 5% tornado area. Could get pretty interesting. Doesn’t look very chaseable unfortunately as storm motion will be pretty quick and it’s likely that they’ll be rain wrapped.

Unbelievable- canceling Kutztown festival today over drizzle. These people must be out of their mind. You think it was 33 degrees and a cold ass rain with sleet outside. Its 75 degrees. The fair sponsors wonder why attendance will be down. Cry wolf and this is what yoou get. Music fest is just as bad. But get this, if the event was the garlic fest or baconfest, they would go on even if a hurricane was hitting them directly

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Actual genuine rain is falling at last

Would never know it's tropical in nature. No wind, not heavy/sideways, no thunder/lightning...basically steady light/mod rain. Good/better stuff will be further W... 

11 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Would never know it's tropical in nature. No wind, not heavy/sideways, no thunder/lightning...basically steady light/mod rain. Good/better stuff will be further W... 

Eh not here after two days of sideways blowing drizzle and spritzes a heavy wind swept shower zipped through quite tropical feeling

1 minute ago, RedSky said:

Eh not here after two days of sideways blowing drizzle and spritzes a heavy wind swept shower zipped through quite tropical feeling

Have a good straight down steady rain going on now...still doesn't have a tropical look. No wind, lightning or thunder, just rain. Better than the heavy mist and drizzle though...the DP is the only thing tropical.  

71F/DP 69F

solid.jpg

Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
717 PM EDT Thu Aug 8 2024

DEC003-082330-
/O.CON.KPHI.TO.W.0007.000000T0000Z-240808T2330Z/
New Castle DE-
717 PM EDT Thu Aug 8 2024

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 730 PM EDT FOR NORTH
CENTRAL NEW CASTLE COUNTY...

At 716 PM EDT, a confirmed tornado was located over Pike Creek, or
near Newark, moving north at 15 mph.

This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW!

HAZARD...Damaging tornado.

SOURCE...Law enforcement confirmed tornado.

IMPACT...You are in a life-threatening situation. Flying debris may
         be deadly to those caught without shelter. Mobile homes
         will be destroyed. Considerable damage to homes,
         businesses, and vehicles is likely and complete destruction
         is possible.

Locations impacted include...
Newport, Greenville, Stanton, Pike Creek, Hockessin, Ashland, and
North Star.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

To repeat, a large, extremely dangerous and potentially deadly
tornado is occurring. To protect your life, TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a
basement or an interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy
building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in
a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and protect
yourself from flying debris.

&&

LAT...LON 3981 7570 3983 7565 3984 7559 3971 7561
      3970 7569 3978 7574
TIME...MOT...LOC 2316Z 163DEG 11KT 3974 7566

TORNADO...OBSERVED
TORNADO DAMAGE THREAT...CONSIDERABLE
MAX HAIL SIZE...0.00 IN

NWUS51 KPHI 082321
LSRPHI

Preliminary Local Storm Report
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
721 PM EDT Thu Aug 8 2024

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0712 PM     Tornado          Marshallton             39.73N 75.65W
08/08/2024                   New Castle         DE   Trained Spotter

Two independent reports from a trained
            spotter and fire department of a tornado on
            the ground near the intersection of Route 7
            and Kirkwood Highway near the Kirkwood Plaza
            Shopping Center. Debris lofted into the air
            and some minor damage reported.

&&

$$

Staarmann