• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2024 Obs/Discussion

Partly sunny now thunder overhead and to the east and southeast a few drops of rain still picked up 1.33 during that batch.  0.67" last night plus our 1.33" we have 2.00" on the nose currently 71f humidity 96% dewpoint 70.

Looks like a little line in Chester County developing and pushing east southeast. Should be interesting to see how that progresses. 

No damage or power loss here. 

• Like 1

This storm doesn't have much other than some heavy rain.  Surprisingly little CG lightning for a storm reaching 52,000 feet tall.  Rain rates have been over 4 in/hr.  Temp is down to 70F, dew down to 67.   

Had two rounds:

First, thunder w/mod rain, no wind or lightning. Then sun. Second, super heavy downpour w/gusty wind. Again, no lightning. First and second round lasted about 5-10 minutes each.

SNJ getting hit again.

73F/DP 71F and a decent sunset

njj.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Reilly said:

pretty much done here just missing to my SSW and moving SE I would suspect this is pretty much the front moving on through going to end with 2.05" over past 24 hours perfect!

Agreed! Got another 0.75" from that last round, which makes the total here 2.75". Awesome, and didn't expect that much at all. More like hoping for something close to an inch.

• Like 2

I am amazed that southern Lehigh, eastern Berks and northern Montgomery were short changed on precip the last few weeks. I received less than 1.50 all month. I hope July changes as it is the wettest month.  The cool front with a nice breeze will be talk the next few days as the DP has literally crashed in the last few hours.

The other outstanding factor is the lack of convective lighting and thunder with these cold fronts the last month.  I am used to t storms in the early afternoon with big boomers. Where has all of the convective energy gone? No training  t storms too. Ouflow boundaries galore with quick washout t- showers rules the roost.

Lets see if the remnants of Beryl make it here by the end of next weekend. The pattern may change. still beats the hell out of the smoke like last year. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

We finished June across Chester County with the warmest average temp 72.6 since the 73.8 average temp in June 2010. The warmest spot was of course Phoenixville at 75.2 degrees and the coolest was the 70.6 degrees at Warwick Township. All stations (16) finished with an average temperature of 73 degrees or lower with the exceptions of Phoenixville and KOQN West Chester Airport (74.5). The wettest station during June was Nottingham with 6.89" of rain -the location with the least rain was KOQN with only 1.84" Our average temperature across the county through the 1st 6 months of the year 51.1 degrees is the warmest first half of the year since the 51.6 degree average back in 2012. Overall this was the 15th warmest June on record....following last year's 8th chilliest June of record.

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

It's starting then Birds training camp, going back to school sales ads etc...

76F/DP 58F

fall22.jpg

The half & half I bought this weekend has an August expiration date. July is practically over.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

We finished June across Chester County with the warmest average temp 72.6 since the 73.8 average temp in June 2010. The warmest spot was of course Phoenixville at 75.2 degrees and the coolest was the 70.6 degrees at Warwick Township. All stations (16) finished with an average temperature of 73 degrees or lower with the exceptions of Phoenixville and KOQN West Chester Airport (74.5). The wettest station during June was Nottingham with 6.89" of rain -the location with the least rain was KOQN with only 1.84" Our average temperature across the county through the 1st 6 months of the year 51.1 degrees is the warmest first half of the year since the 51.6 degree average back in 2012. Overall this was the 15th warmest June on record....following last year's 8th chilliest June of record.

It always surprises me how reliable Phoenixville is with the high temperature (it also holds the PA state record) versus the more southerly plains and barrens of Chester County (not to mention the heat island effect of Coatesville and Exton). Afterall its 28 miles north of the border and next to the largest river in the county. I guess that's why they call it Phoenixville... Warwick doesn't surprise me one bit considering its high elevation and it being in the largest continuous forest between NYC and Baltimore. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zenmsav6810 said:

It always surprises me how reliable Phoenixville is with the high temperature (it also holds the PA state record) versus the more southerly plains and barrens of Chester County (not to mention the heat island effect of Coatesville and Exton). Afterall its 28 miles north of the border and next to the largest river in the county. I guess that's why they call it Phoenixville... Warwick doesn't surprise me one bit considering its high elevation and it being in the largest continuous forest between NYC and Baltimore. 

Agreed! Actually the Warwick MADIS station sits at for the county a relative lower elevation at 407 ft ASL. But they are well positioned to take full advantage of radiational cooling nights that never happen in higher spots like KMQS and West Grove. A good example was this AM where they were the chilliest spot for the low at 53 degrees with KMQS at 61 degrees

After a well below average temperature day to start July we should see a couple close to normal early July days....before the weather turns a bit unsettled as we head into the 4th holiday period.
A lot of our records for today were set on a very hot day in 1901. Highs across the County were Coatesville 103 degrees / Kennett Square-Phoenixville and Westtown at 101 degrees and West Chester at 100 degrees.
Other records for today across the County: Low temp 45 degrees at Devault (1988) / Rain 4.53" at Nottingham (2022)

2024-07-02_8-55-11.jpg

Most spots in the county for the 3rd straight morning reached the 50's for low temperatures. This already exceeds the amount of sub 60 degree lows we recorded last July. Out temps begin to warm through the rest of the week. Shower chances increase and just might interfere with some firework plans tomorrow evening. The best chances of rain are tomorrow night and again on Saturday.
Daily Chester County records for today: High 104 degrees at Phoenixville (1966) - of note 8 of the 9 stations at the time exceeded the century mark on that day - only West Grove at 98 degrees stayed "cooler" / Low 45 degrees also at Phoenixville (1957)/ Rain 3.19" Coatesville (1978)
image.png.9598b24d63bedf250cda0cad31077257.png