• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Pittsburgh, Pa Summer 2024 Thread.

19 hours ago, TimB said:

Highs in the 60s tomorrow and Tuesday and a low in the 40s Tuesday night are officially in the NWS forecast for KPIT. We’ll see if these rare-in-recent-years events come to fruition at the official observing site.

Looks like it already hit 70 in the early hours today. Not sure if it gets back there this afternoon. If we get any sunny intervals, then I think it could hit 71-73F. But if stays overcast and drizzly, then it might hover in the upper 60s the remainder of the day.

12 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Looks like it already hit 70 in the early hours today. Not sure if it gets back there this afternoon. If we get any sunny intervals, then I think it could hit 71-73F. But if stays overcast and drizzly, then it might hover in the upper 60s the remainder of the day.

Yep, we always get screwed by slowly falling evening temps. I’m starting to believe that we’ll never see another high in the 60s or low in the 40s at PIT in July or August again. HRRR has us topping out in the low 60s tomorrow but I suspect it’s way too cold.

3 hours ago, TimB said:

Yep, we always get screwed by slowly falling evening temps. I’m starting to believe that we’ll never see another high in the 60s or low in the 40s at PIT in July or August again. HRRR has us topping out in the low 60s tomorrow but I suspect it’s way too cold.

The high for today is 68 in Farmington….hoping that holds

Looks like it could be close to 90 tomorrow. Tuesday and Wednesday may approach the hottest temperature of the summer. Wheeling reached 92F both yesterday and today. Zanesville was 94F today, and New Philadelphia reached 93F. Parkersburg had a record high of 96F today, after reaching record lows Wednesday through Friday in the mid to upper 40s. Actually, yesterday was pretty close to both the record high (missed by 2F) and record low (missed by 4F). I'm guessing that had to be a weathergami.

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Looks like it could be close to 90 tomorrow. Tuesday and Wednesday may approach the hottest temperature of the summer. Wheeling reached 92F both yesterday and today. Zanesville was 94F today, and New Philadelphia reached 93F. Parkersburg had a record high of 96F today, after reaching record lows Wednesday through Friday in the mid to upper 40s. Actually, yesterday was pretty close to both the record high (missed by 2F) and record low (missed by 4F). I'm guessing that had to be a weathergami.

For the record, yes, that was indeed a weathergami at Parkersburg, WV yesterday.

Edit: Actually that was Friday’s 89/49. Yesterday’s 94/53 allegedly occurred on two other dates.

8 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Was looking at the record low of 45 set at Parkersburg on Wednesday and that was not only the 3rd coldest low ever recorded there in August, but the earliest in the late summer/early fall season instance of 45F or lower in a nearly 100 year period of record.

5 hours ago, TimB said:

Was looking at the record low of 45 set at Parkersburg on Wednesday and that was not only the 3rd coldest low ever recorded there in August, but the earliest in the late summer/early fall season instance of 45F or lower in a nearly 100 year period of record.

Off topic, but one hell of a two-week period weatherwise there. Current forecast would suggest the high reaches at least 95F for six consecutive days, which would only be the 3rd time on record it reached 95 or better on 6 or more consecutive days there.

image.png.3abc34e4ea46bf815b180db294699a80.png

Mesos going nuts with the midweek heat. I feel like the NAM doesn’t usually put out crazy numbers, but it has us at 95 Wednesday afternoon. RDPS has its issues with overmixing, but it’s spitting out triple digits with dewpoints still in the upper 60s. It’ll be interesting to see how hot we can go if it doesn’t rain.

7 minutes ago, TimB said:

Mesos going nuts with the midweek heat. I feel like the NAM doesn’t usually put out crazy numbers, but it has us at 95 Wednesday afternoon. RDPS has its issues with overmixing, but it’s spitting out triple digits with dewpoints still in the upper 60s. It’ll be interesting to see how hot we can go if it doesn’t rain.

Just wait until gets into the HRRR range. :frostymelt:

40 minutes ago, TimB said:

Very well may have attained an unexpected 90 at PIT today. Will be either 89 or 90, but there were 10 straight 5-min obs of 90 so we’ll have to wait for the daily report.

No need to wait now. Up to 90, as of the top of the hour.

2 hours ago, TimB said:

Very well may have attained an unexpected 90 at PIT today. Will be either 89 or 90, but there were 10 straight 5-min obs of 90 so we’ll have to wait for the daily report.

Wasn't super unexpected to me, although admittedly the official forecast had mid 80s for Allegheny County today. I commented yesterday that it would likely be close to 90F today, based on a review of the models - most of which were showing upper 80s, with the HRRR in the low 90s - and upstream observations with widespread low to mid 90s the prior day.

NWS has 92F at the airport each of the next two days... personally, Wednesday looks like the hottest day of the year to me on the short-range modeling. Not sure why the NWS is going so much lower than they did with the June heat wave - maybe concern about clouds and convection, I'm guessing? A number of models have mid to upper 90s for Wednesday, and upstream observations are supportive. 96F in New Philadelphia was a new record, and just 3F shy of the monthly record. Reached at least 98F at Parkersburg, W. Va. for the second straight daily record high, and only 3 or 4F shy of the monthly record.

Regardless, if we do 90+ tomorrow, Wednesday and Friday, as per the official forecast, PIT would have 23 90+ days in meteorological summer. That would tie 1966, 1901 & 1884 for 12th most on record. Excluding the suspect 19th century data, only 2 met. summers had more 90+ days since 1900 - 1988 (37) and 1995 (26).

Also yesterday’s high of 94, combined with the first 94 degree day of the season on 6/17, makes 70 days between our first and last 94 degree days of the season. That longevity of 94+ degree days hasn’t happened since 1953.

4 hours ago, TimB said:

I suspect we put 2 more 90s on the board today and tomorrow. We shall see.

Wasn’t sure we’d get there today with the cloud cover, but it did reach 90F already. Might be about done though with thickening clouds and even some scattered thundershowers popping.