• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Pittsburgh, Pa Summer 2024 Thread.

29 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

So far, the rain today has stayed just to my north, other than maybe a few sprinkles. Been hearing thunder for about an hour.

Not far outside of our area, Akron-Canton Airport had 4.07" of rain in 1 hour and 25 minutes, between 10:20 and 11:50 am. So these storms are very capable of torrential downpours and flash flooding.

For perspective, that’s the rainiest August day ever recorded there and top 10 overall.

Going to be a close one today, either 89 or 90F so far. With the clouds rolling in, might be done for the day. I did see the current temperature was 31.7C (89.1F), which is also what the 6-hourly high was at 1:51 pm. Needs to reach [or have reached] 32.0C (89.6F) to go in the books as 90F.

22 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Going to be a close one today, either 89 or 90F so far. With the clouds rolling in, might be done for the day. I did see the current temperature was 31.7C (89.1F), which is also what the 6-hourly high was at 1:51 pm. Needs to reach [or have reached] 32.0C (89.6F) to go in the books as 90F.

I think I may be the only one still keeping track, but yesterday was indeed the 18th 90+ reading of the year. First to top off at exactly 90F.

Has reached 89F so far today, which typically would probably guarantee a 90F or better high temperature, but clouds are quickly on the increase with showers and thunderstorms to the north. Clearly, I was wrong when I indicated last week might be the last chance for awhile.

But, at this point, the only day with any chance of 90F for the foreseeable future [after today] is Thursday. At this point, mid to upper 80s looks like the better bet. Debby's remnants move north into Pennsylvania on Friday, cooling things off, and helping to pull down a cooler and drier airmass in its wake.

49 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I think I may be the only one still keeping track, but yesterday was indeed the 18th 90+ reading of the year. First to top off at exactly 90F.

Has reached 89F so far today, which typically would probably guarantee a 90F or better high temperature, but clouds are quickly on the increase with showers and thunderstorms to the north. Clearly, I was wrong when I indicated last week might be the last chance for awhile.

But, at this point, the only day with any chance of 90F for the foreseeable future [after today] is Thursday. At this point, mid to upper 80s looks like the better bet. Debby's remnants move north into Pennsylvania on Friday, cooling things off, and helping to pull down a cooler and drier airmass in its wake.

Made it up to 91F just ahead of the line of approaching thunderstorms.

In the South Hills, we're the "victims" of another stabilizing outflow boundary.  I've seen this with some regularity.  It cools and flattens the air, and we end up with a tiny bit of wind but no storms.  Collapses any inflow possibility.

I guess we'll see if the line coming through later can reignite the atmosphere.  Sorry for those of you north of the city that always seem to deal with these.

18 hours ago, north pgh said:

If it were January there would be a lot of frustration as this system is moving so far east we will get nothing. haha typical. I'm glad it's not, however I am golfing Friday so I am glad for the miss east. 

Definitely winter storm type cutoff. Would have been awful if it was snow lol.

Hopefully its evening things out in terms of relieving the drought conditions area wide, I got a good bit of rain Tuesday so not mad this is a miss.

• Like 1

The last time we had a high of 70 or lower in July or August was in 2015 (68 on 8/26). The only other time we’ve gone even 3 consecutive years without a high of 70 or lower in July or August was 1876-1878. We’re now at 8 consecutive years and a good shot at 9, though there’s a chance that streak ends the first half of next week.

12 hours ago, TimB said:

The last time we had a high of 70 or lower in July or August was in 2015 (68 on 8/26). The only other time we’ve gone even 3 consecutive years without a high of 70 or lower in July or August was 1876-1878. We’re now at 8 consecutive years and a good shot at 9, though there’s a chance that streak ends the first half of next week.

The iPhone weather app would suggest we approach 70 for a high for a few days early next week. Doubt we get there though, as the NWS forecast is generally more moderate with mid 70s, which seems reasonable with the sunshine on Tuesday & Wednesday, and warm/muggy start on Monday.

Otherwise, wildfire smoke has created more haze than I would have thought the last couple days. Didn't look too impressive on modeling but it's been hanging low in the atmosphere. Seems thicker up in New England.

3 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

The iPhone weather app would suggest we approach 70 for a high for a few days early next week. Doubt we get there though, as the NWS forecast is generally more moderate with mid 70s, which seems reasonable with the sunshine on Tuesday & Wednesday, and warm/muggy start on Monday.

Otherwise, wildfire smoke has created more haze than I would have thought the last couple days. Didn't look too impressive on modeling but it's been hanging low in the atmosphere. Seems thicker up in New England.

I’d honestly think Monday is our best shot at breaking that streak, if there are enough rain showers around to keep us out of the 70s. Tuesday and Wednesday will over perform if it’s sunny. 

10 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Also, despite the recent cooldown, still in 8th place overall in the threaded record in terms of summer temps to date with only 2 warmer years since 1901 (1934 & 1949). Given the forecast for the next week or so, we will be dropping in these rankings. Pretty much a done deal - barring incredible heat at the end of the month - that we will finish below 1995, and probably even 2016.

image.png.e5c9a588e826f0acf155f1a83b99b5b2.png

Edit: Actually looking at yesterday's 8-14 day outlook, CPC gives us slightly elevated odds for below normal continuing right into week 2 [August 22-28]. I do suspect we'll see at least one more heat wave at the tail end of August or in September.

I had previously talked about 40s and low 50s in July, which went from common to rare. The same is true for 40s in August. It’s happened in 3 of the past 25 years, most recently in 2014. Prior to 1999, it used to happen more often than not.

Highs in the 60s tomorrow and Tuesday and a low in the 40s Tuesday night are officially in the NWS forecast for KPIT. We’ll see if these rare-in-recent-years events come to fruition at the official observing site.