Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Pittsburgh, Pa Summer 2024 Thread.

21 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Those HRRR temperatures though... :arrowhead:

sfct-imp.us_ma.png

96/50 doesn’t exist in our climate and this seems to be typical HRRR overmixing.

0z has us at 99/53 on Tuesday.

51 minutes ago, TimB said:

Calling it on the 8th of the month - a 13th consecutive above normal month is in the bag.

Not really going out too far on a limb. :whistle:

PIT is at +3.4F. Given the forecast for the next week, I would expect the mid-month departure to be similar (or even higher). The week 2 outlook from CPC has above normal temperatures coast to coast. The week 3-4 outlook [through 8/2] has above normal temperatures coast to coast. We'd probably need the second half of June to be 4F below normal just to get to normal. I don't think there's been a half month stretch that cold in ages, let alone in the summer when natural variability is at a minimum. And we'd also need to have a monumental forecasting failure of epic proportions to do that. So I'd put the chances of a below normal July at this point at <1%. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

We’re stalling a little bit getting to 90.  I think we’ll still make it but being stuck at 89 since right before 2pm is classic Pittsburgh.

Would be surprised if we didn’t touch 90 at some point in the past hour. Every 5 minute obs since 2:40 has been a rounded 90.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
319 AM EDT Tue Jul 9 2024

PAZ020-021-029-031-073-075-WVZ003-004-012-021-509-100000-
/O.NEW.KPBZ.HT.Y.0002.240709T1600Z-240710T0000Z/
Beaver-Allegheny-Washington-Greene-Westmoreland-Fayette-Ohio-
Marshall-Wetzel-Marion-Monongalia-
Including the cities of Beaver Falls, Ambridge, Greensburg,
Monaca, Washington, Aliquippa, Moundsville, Fairmont, Latrobe,
Lower Burrell, Pittsburgh Metro Area, Wheeling, Monessen,
Canonsburg, New Kensington, Murrysville, New Martinsville,
Waynesburg, Morgantown, and Uniontown
319 AM EDT Tue Jul 9 2024

...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 8 PM EDT THIS
EVENING...

* WHAT...Heat index values up to 104 expected.

* WHERE...Portions of southwest and western Pennsylvania and
  northern and the northern panhandle of West Virginia.

* WHEN...From noon today to 8 PM EDT this evening.

* IMPACTS...Hot temperatures and high humidity may cause heat
  illnesses.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out of
the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors.

&&

$$

Shallenberger

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

Here comes the slow climb, lol.

8 straight 5-minute observations of 90. Got to think even with the rounding at some point, it ticked up sufficiently to reach a true 90F reading. But yeah, cloud cover was much too heavy for to see 94+. Not sure where the NWS was expecting to see heat advisory criteria met today, let alone heat index values up to 104F.

1 minute ago, TheClimateChanger said:

8 straight 5-minute observations of 90. Got to think even with the rounding at some point, it ticked up sufficiently to reach a true 90F reading. But yeah, cloud cover was much too heavy for to see 94+. Not sure where the NWS was expecting to see heat advisory criteria met today, let alone heat index values up to 104F.

Yeah, it was a head scratcher.  Saw the satellite this morning on the news and it looked pretty clear those Beryl clouds were getting here.

We might have to wait for the climate report to be issued on this one, but odds are looking pretty good. Now going on 2 hours of consecutive 5-min obs of 90, though the hourly was 89.

Edit: once again hit 91 on the hourly obs, so it’ll be another official one.

10 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Holy sh*t!  87 at 9am.

We’re hitting 90 I think.  Maybe that 94 is in play.

Heat advisory may have been more appropriate today.

I think 90 is a guarantee but there are plenty of clouds upstream associated with convection ahead of a cold front in eastern Ohio, so it’s a race to see how hot we can get before those clouds and the front get here.

24 minutes ago, TimB said:

I think 90 is a guarantee but there are plenty of clouds upstream associated with convection ahead of a cold front in eastern Ohio, so it’s a race to see how hot we can get before those clouds and the front get here.

Yeah, there will be clouds, but 94 feels more likely today than yesterday, lol.

8 hours ago, TimB said:

And there it is. 83 at PIT at 8am, an all time record for that hour. Also a heat index of 87, which is also the highest on record for 8am.

0362F765-815E-443F-99AD-52E99FA54EBB.jpeg.1d14203e6833ca9cebe91be0623a852d.jpeg

Looks like we may have tied the 10am 88 temperature as well.

I'd like to know what happened on July 24, 1989.  How did the temperature jump more than 10 degrees from 8am to 9am, then drop 6 at least 6 degrees at 10 am?  Considering the high that day was 94, and there was no rain, I don't see how that would happen.  That has to be an error, right?

8 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Looks like we may have tied the 10am 88 temperature as well.

I'd like to know what happened on July 24, 1989.  How did the temperature jump more than 10 degrees from 8am to 9am, then drop 6 at least 6 degrees at 10 am?  Considering the high that day was 94, and there was no rain, I don't see how that would happen.  That has to be an error, right?

I believe that’s an error. I eliminated that day and there was a similar error on the day after as well. Highly unlikely it was in the 90s at 9am.

• Like 1