• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Pittsburgh, Pa Summer 2024 Thread.

6 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

The history of temperature measurement in America is to constantly produce cooler readings as technology has improved and standards revised, and then have people complain about adjustments and claim it was hotter in the past. Considering the ASOS is installed at 1,203 feet ASL and the buildings in which the downtown temperatures were taken many decades ago were from about 720 to 750 feet, taken on a rooftop with only passive solar shielding (LiG thermometer housed in a shelter, and no fan aspiration), one can only wonder what the temperature would be today. Absolutely ridiculous that mean temperatures over the past 24 months have been on par with the hottest years in the threaded record.

Anyways, y'inz stay cool out there this week. Already up to 82F as of 9:51 a.m., with a heat index of 84F. 90+ looks like a foregone conclusion today, unless a storm forms by noon and sits over us the rest of the day.

No doubt non standardized & less accurate equipment combined with varying procedures and changes in sensor location make over analyzing past data older than 30 years for comparison to today's readings a fool's errand. It would be interesting if some of those older technologies were run synchronously with the new technology to see the differences and provide solid data that would be hard to refute. In any case, the trend over the last 30 years is higher temperatures, no way to sugar coat that. 

For our sakes, let's hope the current period is perhaps a combination of constructively interfering factors all adding to more pronounced warming in the overall trend and not the beginning of the last chance to avoid any tipping points.

Anyone caught in those storms out there today? Plenty of fuel, NWS makes mention of strong winds as the biggest hazard, curious how that is materializing in the strongest cells.

2 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

No doubt non standardized & less accurate equipment combined with varying procedures and changes in sensor location make over analyzing past data older than 30 years for comparison to today's readings a fool's errand. It would be interesting if some of those older technologies were run synchronously with the new technology to see the differences and provide solid data that would be hard to refute. In any case, the trend over the last 30 years is higher temperatures, no way to sugar coat that. 

For our sakes, let's hope the current period is perhaps a combination of constructively interfering factors all adding to more pronounced warming in the overall trend and not the beginning of the last chance to avoid any tipping points.

Anyone caught in those storms out there today? Plenty of fuel, NWS makes mention of strong winds as the biggest hazard, curious how that is materializing in the strongest cells.

Not raining imby but wind has been gusting hard. Text of the warning would indicate that wind damage is occurring.

91110CF8-0265-469B-AEC4-8588C190B3A1.jpeg.1234b7d3c121ec5dbe2f66aaefe68129.jpeg

3 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

That was an absolute doozy. Hampton and trees down everywhere. Was under  gas station on route 8 as it rolled through and can believe 70mph gusts

A little bit south and it was seemingly all outflow. Lots of branches down from the wind but hardly any rain and a ~25 degree temp drop. Was worried the dog wouldn’t get a walk this afternoon but this is fantastic weather for that.

32 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

This is not ideal at all to have 60k outages that will likely extend a bit into at least tomorrow when we hit the mid 90’s 

Wow, I didn’t realize it was that many! At least the storms brought in some temporary relief. Still not ideal for open windows with the high humidity.

We must’ve dodged a bullet locally. Nothing more than some small branches down. Much needed rainfall - doubled my monthly total.

Wonder if we have a repeat tomorrow. NWS is expecting temperatures as warm, if not warmer, with heights continuing to rise. Might be less coverage with a stronger ridge overhead tomorrow, I would guess?

8 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Wow, I didn’t realize it was that many! At least the storms brought in some temporary relief. Still not ideal for open windows with the high humidity.

We must’ve dodged a bullet locally. Nothing more than some small branches down. Much needed rainfall - doubled my monthly total.

Wonder if we have a repeat tomorrow. NWS is expecting temperatures as warm, if not warmer, with heights continuing to rise. Might be less coverage with a stronger ridge overhead tomorrow, I would guess?

I don’t know, we seem to be one of the few places where a stronger ridge does not mean less rain, lol.  Ron Smiley just said storms should be firing by 2pm.  If they do hit then no way it’s as warm as expected.

From a station serving Steubenville, Ohio & northern West Virginia, but sharing as I thought this was a nice regional map of high temperatures from yesterday. Impressed by the 89 in Johnstown - the airport is at close to 2300 feet, I believe.

1 minute ago, Ahoff said:

Lagging behind yesterday’s temps by 2 degrees.  Clear most locations except KPIT, lol.  They have a knack.

Humidity is up from yesterday and it’s already that filtered hazy sunshine imby, so maybe not just at the airport.

38 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Lagging behind yesterday’s temps by 2 degrees.  Clear most locations except KPIT, lol.  They have a knack.

It’s funny how much you complain about temperatures but absolutely lose your mind about anything I say about snow.

I don’t want to hear it once this winter from you. 

2 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

It’s funny how much you complain about temperatures but absolutely lose your mind about anything I say about snow.

I don’t want to hear it once this winter from you. 

And here we go. How’s Reddit?

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
1219 PM EDT Tue Jun 18 2024

PAZ014-020-021-029-073-075-190130-
/O.UPG.KPBZ.HT.Y.0001.000000T0000Z-240622T0000Z/
/O.NEW.KPBZ.EH.W.0001.240618T1619Z-240622T0000Z/
Butler-Beaver-Allegheny-Washington-Westmoreland-Fayette-
Including the cities of New Kensington, Ambridge, Canonsburg,
Butler, Monessen, Washington, Lower Burrell, Greensburg, Beaver
Falls, Pittsburgh Metro Area, Murrysville, Latrobe, Uniontown,
Aliquippa, and Monaca
1219 PM EDT Tue Jun 18 2024

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Prolonged dangerous hot conditions are likely. Heat index
  values ranging from 105 to 110 degrees are expected. Little relief
  will be observed at night with temperatures ranging from 70 to 75
  degrees.

* WHERE...Beaver, Fayette, Washington, Allegheny, Butler, and
  Westmoreland Counties.

* WHEN...Until 8 PM EDT Friday.

* IMPACTS...Heat related illnesses increase significantly during
  extreme heat and high humidity events.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out of
the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors.

Do not leave young children and pets in unattended vehicles. Car
interiors will reach lethal temperatures in a matter of minutes.

Take extra precautions when outside. Wear lightweight and loose
fitting clothing. Try to limit strenuous activities to early morning
or evening. Take action when you see symptoms of heat exhaustion and
heat stroke.

Power outages could occur due to a prolonged period of heat.

Stay cool, stay hydrated, stay informed.

&&

$$

1 hour ago, TimB said:

And here we go. How’s Reddit?

Honestly, I won’t respond to a certain very sensitive poster, but was there a complaint in my post?  I stated a fact and then made an observation.  I’m not bothered by it at all.  Humidity is definitely the culprit from the rain yesterday.

This certainly isn’t going to ruin my day like snow does for someone, but it’s just interesting.  90 looks locked today, just a question of how high it goes.

Also, I wonder if that hazy layer will actually help keep storms down today?  Maybe without the most direct sun it keeps it a bit more stable.

8 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Honestly, I won’t respond to a certain very sensitive poster, but was there a complaint in my post?  I stated a fact and then made an observation.  I’m not bothered by it at all.  Humidity is definitely the culprit from the rain yesterday.

This certainly isn’t going to ruin my day like snow does for someone, but it’s just interesting.  90 looks locked today, just a question of how high it goes.

Also, I wonder if that hazy layer will actually help keep storms down today?  Maybe without the most direct sun it keeps it a bit more stable.

Admit it, you’re a little sad that the insane heat probably won’t be materializing this time. I was, until the storms knocked out tens of thousands of people’s power yesterday and realized that it’s pure luck that it wasn’t me. Now I could take or leave the extreme stuff.

2 hours ago, TimB said:

These storms developing don’t seem to have much forward motion to them. Seems like they’ll drop a lot of rain wherever they do end up hitting.

Case in point, the storm currently sitting over MGW airport dropped over an inch of rain in less than a half hour, with a gust to 54mph.

2 hours ago, TimB said:

Admit it, you’re a little sad that the insane heat probably won’t be materializing this time. I was, until the storms knocked out tens of thousands of people’s power yesterday and realized that it’s pure luck that it wasn’t me. Now I could take or leave the extreme stuff.

This I was a little disappointed since it's historical and all, but once your power goes out your priorities change. 

2 hours ago, TimB said:

Sure, they were hyping all time June records.  It’s be neat to get that, but realistically I knew that was unlikely.  So, there isn’t any complaint here, lol.  Might still be able to sneak a 95 or 96 later in the week.  Though, if we had that higher heat we likely wouldn’t be having the storms.

Seems they are coming from the other direction today.

57 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

High was at least 92 at KPIT. Probably 93 or 94, based on 5 minute data. Multiple observations of 34C/93F, but that could be between 33.5C and 34.4C [92.3-93.9F].

Looks like another 94. That’s 2 in a row. We haven’t had 3 days in a row of 94+ in any month since 1995.