• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Pittsburgh, Pa Summer 2024 Thread.

5 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

The European temperature forecasts in hot summer patterns always seem to be off for this part of the country. Always has a very " warm wintertime" pattern with hot air funneling up the Ohio Valley bringing in temperatures across western Pennsylvania and northern West Virginia which are hotter than places to the west. This is a common temperature pattern in the winter, but almost never happens in the summer. Realistically, to get upper 90s in southwest Pennsylvania, you would want to see low 100s across western/central Ohio and Indiana. Not cooler temperatures in the lower to mid 90s.

As the week progresses it seems to take on that look, with triple digits in places like Cincinnati and Indianapolis, but of course then you’re 9 days or so out and model skill is lower anyway.

While I don’t expect a full week of 90s a few days seems likely.  NWS not really backing down yet on mid 90s Monday and Tuesday, and now Wednesday for that matter, 96, 94, 94.  Monday would be a record hight.

Will be interesting.  Also, looks rather dry too (as in very little rain, not saying lower humidity).

Make sure your cars are topped off with coolant and the fans are working the way they should. Make sure no leaks too. This is the kind of weather that cars overheating becomes common if you drive a lot. In my new job, I'm driving a lot.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

NWS still holding dropped Monday to 94, but raised Tues-Thursday to 97.

iOS app dropped temps a little, with only one day in the mid 90s but I’m not really seeing the data to support that.

For one, the EPS ensemble mean is sitting between 94 and 96 at 18z every day from Monday-Saturday.

0z operational Euro is completely off the rails and can probably be thrown out, as it shows the heat intensifying into the weekend, with all time record highs being challenged just about everywhere.

Worried about flash drought too, depending on how much rain falls today. I’ve only received about a quarter of an inch this month, and the airport is just over a third of an inch.

CPC didn’t include western Pennsylvania in the flash drought outlook, presumably because it’s been one of the wettest starts to the year. But given the lack of rainfall recently and the prospective heat wave and continued lack of rainfall, they probably could have.

6 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

This is possibly the most significant heat wave since 2012.

I seem to recall a heat wave in 2016(?) that was hyped with upper 90s in the forecast and then we officially topped out in the low 90s a couple days. But that wasn’t a weeklong gates of hell kind of thing.

57 minutes ago, TimB said:

I seem to recall a heat wave in 2016(?) that was hyped with upper 90s in the forecast and then we officially topped out in the low 90s a couple days. But that wasn’t a weeklong gates of hell kind of thing.

I don’t remember, but this seems different, but obviously wouldn’t be surprised to stay under 95 the whole time.

3 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

I don’t remember, but this seems different, but obviously wouldn’t be surprised to stay under 95 the whole time.

Just remember in perspective that not getting to 95 is a win in reality, even if it’d be exciting to see the big numbers.

3 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Worried about flash drought too, depending on how much rain falls today. I’ve only received about a quarter of an inch this month, and the airport is just over a third of an inch.

CPC didn’t include western Pennsylvania in the flash drought outlook, presumably because it’s been one of the wettest starts to the year. But given the lack of rainfall recently and the prospective heat wave and continued lack of rainfall, they probably could have.

Oof, Pittsburgh might stay completely dry today.

Someone has to cave though.  Any news outlet is topping out at 94 or so, the NWS is still going up, now forecasting 99 for Tuesday and Wednesday.  Going all time for June.

Somewhere they have to meet.  And the NWS is usually pretty conservative.  Strange.

4 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Someone has to cave though.  Any news outlet is topping out at 94 or so, the NWS is still going up, now forecasting 99 for Tuesday and Wednesday.  Going all time for June.

Somewhere they have to meet.  And the NWS is usually pretty conservative.  Strange.

Wtae does have a 97 for next Saturday, but that’s really far out. Anyways, getting a decent thundershower here. No wind, but moderate rain and some thunder & lightning.

1 minute ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Wtae does have a 97 for next Saturday, but that’s really far out. Anyways, getting a decent thundershower here. No wind, but moderate rain and some thunder & lightning.

Just looked at WPXI and they’re basically with the NWS, 96 Mond, 98 Tues, 97 Wednesday, etc.  KDKA is still low 90s for Mon-Wed.

26 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Just looked at WPXI and they’re basically with the NWS, 96 Mond, 98 Tues, 97 Wednesday, etc.  KDKA is still low 90s for Mon-Wed.

Models do seem to have backed off slightly with the extreme, eye popping numbers pushing 100.