• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

13 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Thought yesterday there was a better chance of that happening than I do now. I think we need the dewpoint to drop this afternoon, 100/78 or the like will be very tough to pull off. 100/68 can be done. My temp rise isn't on the trajectory that's going to get me (at least) up to 100. Tomorrow's issue might be afternoon clouds. 

MU said yesterday that for triple digit temps we need to "root" for dews to lower during the afternoon. 

Tampa raises its hand as first hand proof of this theory...never reaching 100 in city history. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The days of 100F weather is going to be tough the closer you get to the coast (outside of UHI). With a persistent WAR year after and year and added moisture to the atmosphere from climate change, we will struggle to get above 97F or 98F.

• Thanks 1

The days of 100F weather is going to be tough the closer you get to the coast (outside of UHI). With a persistent WAR year after and year and added moisture to the atmosphere from climate change, we will struggle to get above 97F or 98F.

1966 will never happen again

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

1966 will never happen again

That was the year the DNA code was completed and the Camero made its debut in the US.    Little did we know that the Camero was a foretelling of what was to come...no longer needing front wheel drive cars in Southeast PA winters. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

This is why Houston’s average temp is less than Austin or Dallas (and why Austin is generally higher than Dallas). 

The number on the thermostat is only part of the story 

Just now, canderson said:

This is why Houston’s average temp is less than Austin or Dallas (and why Austin is generally higher than Dallas). 

The number on the thermostat is only part of the story 

Damn your thermostat is at 100?    Are you selling energy back to the power company?  LOL. 

@MUweather

The #heatwave will peak today and tomorrow. Highs both afternoons will be in the mid-to-upper 90s across northern MD and the Lower Susquehanna Valley, but the high humidity (71-78°F dewpoints) is to blame for the truly dangerous heat indices.

• Thanks 1

I can imagine being in Houston right now with no power and the temperatures and humidity the way they are. The other thing I can imagine is how much money so many restaurants lost because all the food is going bad unless the majority of them have backup power down there. Hilarious seems to not be able to catch a break right now between the deracho widespread power outages and now this hurricane.

I keep seeing 1966 on here. My neighbor (he passed away about 3 years ago) he told me in one summer the creek that I live along there was no flowing water. There were just pools of water in the creek bed. So I'm not sure what summer it was but I'd say it was in the 1960's.

• Like 2

Sorry if this has been asked/answered.  Don't get on here much during the warm season.  What's the "official" calculation of Heat Index?

For example, local WU site says Temp 93, DP 74, Index 111.

Same numbers plugged into NOAA calculator shows Index of 103.

WU Index is always way higher than NWS.  Do they use some home grown method?

14 minutes ago, Festus said:

Sorry if this has been asked/answered.  Don't get on here much during the warm season.  What's the "official" calculation of Heat Index?

It is a crazy formula but the big issue with the HI is that it is similar to the BMI and contains assumptions. Most HI calculations are also assumptive of being in the shade. 

History[edit]

The heat index was developed in 1979 by Robert G. Steadman.[1][2] Like the wind chill index, the heat index contains assumptions about the human body mass and height, clothing, amount of physical activity, individual heat tolerance, sunlight and ultraviolet radiation exposure, and the wind speed. Significant deviations from these will result in heat index values which do not accurately reflect the perceived temperature.[3]

Use this weather calculator if you prefer to enter numbers manually instead of reading a chart.  If you're really mathematically inclined, there is an equation that gives a very close approximation to the heat index.  However, this equation was obtained using a multiple regression analysis, and therefore, it has an error of ±1.3°F.

Heat Index = -42.379 + 2.04901523T + 10.14333127R - 0.22475541TR - 6.83783 x 10-3T2 - 5.481717 x 10-2R2 + 1.22874 x 10-3T2R + 8.5282 x 10-4TR2 - 1.99 x 10-6T2R2

T - air temperature (F)
R - relative humidity (percentage)

12 minutes ago, Festus said:

I'm not sure what WU does but they are way inflated.  As far as I know, the only thing factored into heat index is temp and dew point.

9 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I'm not sure what WU does but they are way inflated.  As far as I know, the only thing factored into heat index is temp and dew point.

I know some people that leave their AC at 85 during the summer so 94/73 is nothing to them, while someone who stays in cooler AC all the time will think it is horrible.  The great mysteries of assumptive HI values. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

@canderson were you able to get in contact with your family? How's the town holding up? Are they without power currently?

They’re ok. A huge pine tree is blocking their driveway and they were told they’d be without power a week or so.  Whole home generator for the win. 

Millions are without power. Texas is so backward they don’t even know the real number. It’s a serious health problem - Houston is expected 108ish real feel values. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Holy Bazooka bubble gums, it is downright nasty outside. Just walked across campus...good lord is it stifling. 

75 was my overnight "low" - currently it's 86 in Maytown at 9:05am. 

17 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I know some people that leave their AC at 85 during the summer so 94/73 is nothing to them, while someone who stays in cooler AC all the time will think it is horrible.  The great mysteries of assumptive HI values. 

Hmmm...

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

These people are assholes. They're also probably not human and are from Hell. Nobody can handle an 85 degree living room. They're also likely perverts who treat the family room as a nude beach, sitting there on Sunday binging Criminal Minds for eight hours with a communal bowl of kettle corn and Country Time lemonade, with their floppy tits and loose, saggy balls on a plastic couch. 

Screw them.