• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111

Welcome to the team. Warmth is fine but the humidity makes it awful. And the high lows. We really are the southern Virginia now. Or maybe Western South Carolina.  
I tried an orange creamsicle cider today. Surprisingly not too sweet and balanced. For some reason I thought of you @canderson

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

To @Bubbler86 point, 90 degree days aren’t/shouldn’t be a big deal. What has been a big deal to me this summer has been the dews…temps in the mid 90s with mid 70s dews are NOT common here and it’s been miserable. 

14 minutes ago, canderson said:

Welcome to the team. Warmth is fine but the humidity makes it awful. And the high lows. We really are the southern Virginia now. Or maybe Western South Carolina.  

It was just brutal today, but previous days have bothered me, too.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

To @Bubbler86 point, 90 degree days aren’t/shouldn’t be a big deal. What has been a big deal to me this summer has been the dews…temps in the mid 90s with mid 70s dews are NOT common here and it’s been miserable. 

My issue with 90 is it being the marker between normal and heat wave.  It is always hot when 90.  Lol.  Just looked at wundermap and quite a few 60's around the LSV though none in the HIA type area.  I am not sure why the HIA often seems to bleed down to you.  But mid 70's right now around you while there are upper 60's in York, Adams and Cumberland County as well as Lebanon and Eastern Lanco.

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

My issue with 90 is it being the marker between normal and heat wave.  It is always hot when 90.  Lol.  Just looked at wundermap and quite a few 60's around the LSV though none in the HIA type area.  I am not sure why the HIA often seems to bleed down to you.  But mid 70's right now around you while there are upper 60's in York, Adams and Cumberland County as well as Lebanon and Eastern Lanco.

But I can tell you that 90-95 in Arizona when the humidity is under 10% is rather comfortable, especially in the shade, and even moreso if there's a breeze. Here, I felt like I was going to die in my seat at that wedding yesterday with a 90 degree temperature simply because of the humidity. By the time the service was over, my shirt was wet as even my torso was profusely sweating.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, canderson said:

I have been told lows and humidity don't count. People judge summer warmth by max temperature. So it might feel like this summer is in the running for one of the hottest summers of record, but it's just your imagination playing tricks on you.

At Harrisburg, we can see meteorological summer is in second place by mean temperature to date, just a fraction of a degree below 1994.

image.png.ae03396fb7aa5e083d708554b01c64fd.png

But we can see, when we consider only max temperatures, we can see it drops to a CHILLY third place behind 1994 & inflated 1966 records from Capital City Airport when it was throwing up 107s like it was nothing.

image.png.b78184b81de34e74dfe19c8c5b155f8a.png

I mean summer of 1982 had a mean temperature below the average low temperature of 2024 so far at Harrisburg, and a bunch of other years saw mean temperatures within 2-4 degrees of the average low temperature of 2024. So when we include low temperatures in the year 2024, it's like playing Madden on easy mode. And we can't do that.

All spots across the County exceeded the 90 degree mark with the oh so close exception of East Nantmeal where we could "only" reach 89.9 degrees!. The next coolest spot was West Grove at 90.9. Some of the hotter spots included Chester Springs 95 degrees and. KOQN Brandywine Airport also 95. The hot temps looks to continue for the next few days before we drop back into the 80's by Wednesday. Along with the temp drop will come increasing shower chances by Tuesday night. Each day from Wednesday thru Saturday will feature a chance at some showers.
Chester County records for today: High 103 degrees at Phoenixville (2010)/ Low was 47 degrees at West Chester (2001) / Rain 2.23" at Coatesville (1907)
image.png.59a4221496b9c033b2aaa350594053da.png

Wow, almost hit the big 90 in East Nantmeal. What did the non-shaded sensor on the roof read? I think we need asterisks by the partially shaded readings. They are not compliant with siting standards, which are supposed to be taken in full sun free of obstructions.

44 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I mean summer of 1982 had a mean temperature below the average low temperature of 2024 so far at Harrisburg, and a bunch of other years saw mean temperatures within 2-4 degrees of the average low temperature of 2024. So when we include low temperatures in the year 2024, it's like playing Madden on easy mode. And we can't do that.

After further thought, I think with these Madden numbers, we should compare recent summers to historical summers in Richmond, Virginia, instead of historical summers in Harrisburg. If we do that, we see it's only tied for 24th warmest [of 128 years]. But because Richmond has also been throwing up Madden numbers in recent decades, we should limit the rankings to 2001. If we do that, we see it's been warmer than all but 12 summers [out of 105 years] in Richmond that occurred between 1897 & 2001.

3 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yeah...I don't know what to say. My lowest temp this morning was 74.3 and I'm not in an urban area by any means.

I have been told lows and humidity don't count. People judge summer warmth by max temperature. So it might feel like this summer is in the running for one of the hottest summers of record, but it's just your imagination playing tricks on you.
At Harrisburg, we can see meteorological summer is in second place by mean temperature to date, just a fraction of a degree below 1994.
image.png.ae03396fb7aa5e083d708554b01c64fd.png
But we can see, when we consider only max temperatures, we can see it drops to a CHILLY third place behind 1994 & inflated 1966 records from Capital City Airport when it was throwing up 107s like it was nothing.
image.png.b78184b81de34e74dfe19c8c5b155f8a.png
Why was 1966 inflated?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, mahantango#1 said:

There was some kind of fishing tournament at Sunbury yesterday. The water temperature was 80 in the Susquehanna River.

So what you're saying is once the Category five makes landfall at Havre de Grace, the water will be warm enough to sustain major hurricane status to at least Binghamton?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Wow, almost hit the big 90 in East Nantmeal. What did the non-shaded sensor on the roof read? I think we need asterisks by the partially shaded readings. They are not compliant with siting standards, which are supposed to be taken in full sun free of obstructions.

Look, the temperature didn’t get to 90 in East Nantmeal for 3 years. There’s totally nothing to be concerned about. Days like Friday where places on both coasts with long periods of record hit all time record highs happen all the time. It’s summer.

1 hour ago, Atomixwx said:

So what you're saying is once the Category five makes landfall at Havre de Grace, the water will be warm enough to sustain major hurricane status to at least Binghamton?

Only if the eye follows the river channel precisely. One deviation left or right and it's curtains for said hurricane. 

4 hours ago, Atomixwx said:

You never know with the sometimes unpredictable weather these days. Anything can happen.