Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

34 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

SXUS71 KPBZ 202007
RERDUJ

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
406 PM EDT THU JUN 20 2024

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT DUBOIS...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 91 DEGREES WAS SET AT 3:53 PM EDT TODAY 
AT DUBOIS. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD FOR JUNE 20TH OF 89 DEGREES 
SET IN 1991.  THE TEMPERATURE MIGHT RISE FURTHER AND THIS RECORD 
REPORT WILL BE UPDATED IF NEEDED.  

THIS TEMPERATURE IS JUST 1F BELOW THE JUNE RECORD THAT WAS TIED ON 
JUNE 18, 2024.   

IN ADDITION, THE LOW THIS MORNING WAS 67F.  THE RECORD WARM LOW 
TEMPERATURE FOR JUNE 20TH IS 66F SET IN 1996.  SO UNLESS A 
THUNDERSTORM FORMS NEARBY AND COOLS THE TEMPERATURE BELOW 66F BEFORE 
MIDNIGHT, ANOTHER RECORD WOULD BE SET.  

$$

CRAVEN

Correction, this is the post of the day!

I just can’t get enough DuBois!

23 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

For @Jns2183.  Have a safe and happy Independence day. 

image.png.6ea78c1158fd2e9dbe48052ca5bc6003.png

Thanks so much for this. Much  cooler in Williamsport than Canada. Who can ask for anything more? It had better verify. 

3 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

Thanks so much for this. Much  cooler in Williamsport than Canada. Who can ask for anything more? It had better verify. 

I'm not sure I'd put too much stock into a 312 hour temperature map.  It is a nice thought though! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

Not sure about it verifying as mid 50's at 2PM would be like 115 at 2PM but it shows options.    If it was 77 today,the BN version of our actual temps,   there would have hardly been a peep.   The next 3 days do look even warmer than ther last 4 days but it is summer, it happens.  

• Haha 2

O's finish a grueling 6 game stretch against the Phillies and Yankees 4-2, losing the first game in each series and coming back and taking the next 2. Birds bats were wound up in the Bronx today. Long, long way to go. Birds actually a game up on the Bombers now in the loss column. 

In the battle of Red Sox predictions, I believe that we have the following:

Canderson: 70 - 92

Bubbler: 84-78

Currently the Red Sox are a season-high 5 games over .500. Canderson...this might be the very rare prediction you're wrong on! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm not sure I'd put too much stock into a 312 hour temperature map.  It is a nice thought though! 

I know, I know. But it is too wonderful to dangle in front of me and then take away later. There is no fairness in weather but I am hoping to get lucky this time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Not sure about it verifying as mid 50's at 2PM would be like 115 at 2PM but it shows options.

I just mentioned luck when itsrainingtime tried to bring me back to Earth. I will mention it again. Also it can be 57 at 2A instead of 2P. I am very flexible and the opposite of picky at this point.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Atomixwx said:

Apparently @CoralRedcan.

I can fall asleep and I can wake up again, too, over and over. Today it was 3-4 wakeups. 

I sure wouldn't want to pay for A/C and still feel hot at 82 degrees though.

I just saw this at Twitter and copied it to share there. This seems like another great opportunity to think about an alternative feel better response to the heat: Popsicles and Prosecco.

image.thumb.png.6e932b758a95e7dc93c8f5f3bbee5054.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

O's finish a grueling 6 game stretch against the Phillies and Yankees 4-2, losing the first game in each series and coming back and taking the next 2. Birds bats were wound up in the Bronx today. Long, long way to go. Birds actually a game up on the Bombers now in the loss column. 

In the battle of Red Sox predictions, I believe that we have the following:

Canderson: 70 - 92

Bubbler: 84-78

Currently the Red Sox are a season-high 5 games over .500. Canderson...this might be the very rare prediction you're wrong on! 

They’re fun to watch too.  I was way off!

• Like 2

Just now, CoralRed said:

I can fall asleep and I can wake up again, too, over and over. Today it was 3-4 wakeups. 

I sure wouldn't want to pay for A/C and still feel hot at 82 degrees though.

I just saw this at Twitter and copied it to share. This seems like another great opportunity to think about an alternative feel better response to the heat:

https://x.com/Sarah_Katilyn/status/1803460310856045038

Those portable AC's are not too expensive if needed.  These poor souls, 50 years ago, somehow survived though!  94, 96, 97, 98 (x2), 100.   ABC 27 must not have been around then.

image.png.41eeed7bf3c5b4def6c93fc5f09bfec9.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The high temp so far this week (starting Monday and running through today):

KROU: 88

KCLT (Charlotte, NC): 89.

Pennsylvania is the new Charlotte.

At Pittsburgh International Airport, the mean temperature for the year through June 19 is 51.0F. Based on 28 years of data (1952-1979), the downtown city office averaged 2.6F warmer than the airport, with a range of +1.1 to +3.8F. Accordingly, we can surmise that the mean temperature in 2024 in downtown Pittsburgh has been approximately 53.6F, with a likely range of 52.1F to 54.8F. For context, KPIT is situated at 1200 feet ASL, whereas downtown Pittsburgh is 700-750 feet ASL [and the urban center of the metropolitan area].

At Charlotte, the mean temperature for the period 1/1 to 6/19 was at or below 53.6F on 17 occasions in the 98 years between 1885 & 1983 - or more than 1 out of every 6 years. An additional 9 years in that same time interval were within 0.5F of that value.

Accordingly, we can conclude that the city of Pittsburgh in 2024 is likely warmer than about 1 in every 6 years in Charlotte through the late 20th century.

image.png.067bf7793af73cd5cf5bf344f1522c65.png

Pennsylvania is also the new Knoxville, Tennessee.

As noted above, KPIT is averaging 51.0F through yesterday [and rapidly climbing each day this heat wave continues]. Downtown Pittsburgh is likely between 52.1F and 54.8F. Just south of the Mason-Dixon line, Morgantown is at 52.4F and Hagerstown, Maryland is at 52.1F.

At Knoxville, 6 years between 1885 and 1985 were less than or equal to 51.0F. 23 years between 1873 and 1996 were less than or equal to 52.1F. And 32 years were less than or equal to 52.4F. Using the predicted temperature for downtown Pittsburgh, an incredible 62 years - including as recently as 2013 - were less than or equal to 53.6F. Numerous other years had temperatures close to each of these values.

Conclusion: Along the Mason-Dixon line in Pennsylvania, it is currently warmer than about 1 in 3 to 1 in 5 years in Knoxville, Tennessee that occurred in the late 19th and 20th centuries. In suburban Pittsburgh, it's likely warmer than about 1 in every 17 years, but in the urban core perhaps as warm as 1 in every 2-2.5 years.

The highs are hot but the real reason this heat wave sucks is the lows are so f’n high. It’s 85 at 9:45 pm.

That’s Texas type heat where it hardly ever gets below 78 between June and mid to late September. It’s just relentless. 

1 minute ago, canderson said:

The highs are hot but the real reason this heat wave sucks is the lows are so f’n high. It’s 85 at 9:45 pm.

That’s Texas type heat where it hardly ever gets below 78 between June and mid to late September. It’s just relentless. 

Urban vs. Rural - it's down to 77 here and quite pleasant. My wife and I are sitting outside and it's a spectacular evening. 

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Urban vs. Rural - it's down to 77 here and quite pleasant. My wife and I are sitting outside and it's a spectacular evening. 

Yeah, I haven't noticed this phenomenon. At PIT, highs are actually more above normal than lows so far this month, with the diurnal range near 21F. I'm sure rural and outlying areas probably have diurnal ranges on the order of 22-24F this month.

Just now, TheClimateChanger said:

Yeah, I haven't noticed this phenomenon. At PIT, highs are actually more above normal than lows so far this month, with the diurnal range near 21F. I'm sure rural and outlying areas probably have diurnal ranges on the order of 22-24F this month.

Just checked MDT and it's the same story.

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Low 60's here last night...or 64, I forget.  Below normal lows.

I got down to 66 last night, which is 6 above the normal low of 60 that I'm seeing. Regardless, the past few evenings have been very nice to be outdoors. 

The 60 I pulled from the MU climatology page. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I got down to 66 last night, which is 6 above the normal low of 60 that I'm seeing. Regardless, the past few evenings have been very nice to be outdoors. 

The 60 I pulled from the MU climatology page. 

Normal at MDT is 64 or 65 now.  Watching Bears so not going to see which.   Already down to 71 here so windows open.

• Like 1