• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

Were had them a few weeks. Lightning bugs finally showed up 2 weeks ago too. 

I swear, Harrisburg is the mayfly capital of the world. I remember as a teenager working at Giant Foods on Linglestown Road having to clean them off the grocery carts in the morning.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

I swear, Harrisburg is the mayfly capital of the world. I remember as a teenager working at Giant Foods on Linglestown Road having to clean them off the grocery carts in the morning.

I think you’re right. Many Sens games in May with them falling all over you. 

Just now, mahantango#1 said:

Your late on the lightning bugs. I first seen them on the night of April 30th. Which I thought was very early.

Oh wow. I remember growing up we had them all the time but starting in say middle school they 100% disappeared in Texas. It was sad. 

2 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Isn't a scientific fact if there are a lot of mayflies that's a sign that the river Is clean and healthy ecological system?

No, but does mean that NA Snowcover will expand rapidly in October. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Superstorm said:

This is the “softest” heat wave ever.

4 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

This is not directed at anyone except the media....the hype for this 5-10 degree AN period has been ridiculous.  Sure, not a great idea to run a 20 mile jog any day is it above 85 (or walk 2.5 miles through downtown Hanover) but I do not understand when 90-95 has become front page news.  This is similar to the news coverage of the Polar Vortex several years ago.  I do feel for anyone without AC but that applies to almost every day of the summer. 

3 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Been working outside most of the last couple days and haven’t found the heat to be anything extreme. Stayed mostly in the shade but a bit underwhelming thus far. There is, however, quite an east-west gradient to some of the temps and I suspect the peak of the heat dome moves more over my eastern area towards the weekend, just in time for our annual summer party on Saturday ugh. 

I agree with this sentiment. The first 3 days of the great heatwave of 2024 has not matched the hype and honestly, a lot of local forecasters predictions. What might ultimately be remembered after the fact us the duration and not the intensity.

Though...I reserve the right to change my mind at high noon on Sunday sitting in Citizens Bank Park...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

Uhhh...no! That's nuts.

Who can sleep at 82°?

Our ac in bedroom is set to 60 to sleep. In the winter we have no heat on in bedroom unless it gets down near zero then we will open bedroom door a little to get a little heat. I think last winter there were a few days our bedroom was in the upper 40's to sleep. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

What might ultimately be remembered after the fact us the duration and not the intensity.

Being an outsider, my local weather guy is... Mark Mancuso of AccuWeather fame. I don't remember him over hyping the heat out this way but that's probably because it was never expected to be too insane, although I think I have probably topped out higher than some to my east as the dome has been more over us and is now shifted to move east. 

But I feel like Christine Ferreira at GAL indicated the length of the heat wave would be the notable part, not so much the intensity. Maybe the over hyping has been by us? 

Just now, mahantango#1 said:

Our ac in bedroom is set to 60 to sleep. In the winter we have no heat on in bedroom unless it gets down near zero then we will open bedroom door a little to get a little heat. I think last winter there were a few days our bedroom was in the upper 40's to sleep. 

Wow. I call that camping out!

In summer, I have our thermostat set at 75 during the day and 72 at night. Winter it's 67 during the day and 64 or 65 at night. If my grandkids are over in the winter, I'll put it up 2 or 3 degrees. 

Between new attic insultation and sealing of air leakage I had a contractor do and installation of new windows, sealing, insulation of heating ducts, new exterior doors, and a variety of other insulating measures that would bore you to death I did myself, I do pretty well on heating & cooling costs.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Like to keep the bedroom cool also. 64 in the summer and no heat in the winter.

69 degrees this morning. Maybe a lawn mow yet this week.

Probably cut the grass at 4” this week. 

• Like 1

CTP like "What end to Heat Wave? This is for Hesston, PA.

Sunday

A chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Partly sunny and hot, with a high near 95. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday Night

A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 70. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Monday

Mostly sunny, with a high near 86.

Monday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 63.

Tuesday

Sunny, with a high near 90.

Tuesday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around 65.

Wednesday

Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 92.