• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty

10 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Hopefully some of these early season “cold” temperatures translate into a good step down into true Fall weather.

Generally  BN August across the area and 2 decently BN cold shots with another next week is certainly different from what we've had during the period the last 5+ years if my broken memory serves. 

• Like 2

NOUS41 KCTP 032037
PNSCTP
PAZ028-040045-

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service State College PA
437 PM EDT Tue Sep 3 2024

...NWS Damage Survey for 08/29/24 Thunderstorm Wind Event...

.Mifflintown Thunderstorm Wind Damage...

Peak Wind /Est/: 85-95 mph
Path Length /statute/: 2 miles
Path Width /maximum/: 0.6 mile
Fatalities: 0
Injuries: 0

Start Date: Aug 29, 2024
Start Time: 9:47 PM EDT
Start Location: 3 SSW Mcalisterville
Start Lat/Lon: 40.59/-77.30

End Date: Aug 29, 2024
End Time: 10:06 PM EDT
End Location: 4 WSW Thompsontown
End Lat/Lon: 40.55/-77.30

Survey Summary:
Between 9:47 PM and 10:06 PM on Thursday, August 29, 2024,
a supercell thunderstorm produced straight line wind damage
east of Mifflintown. The most extensive damage was to a couple
of residences along Cedar Springs Road, with additional damage
extending two miles south to just south of U.S. Highway 322 along
William Penn Highway. The damage was about 0.6 miles wide with peak
estimated wind speeds of 85-95 mph.

The roofs of two residences along Cedar Springs Road were heavily
damaged as portions of them were blown off to the south and southeast.
Additionally, the side of a large open barn was blown over. Here and to
the south, multiple trees either had their trunks snapped off or were
blown over. This led to downed wires and subsequently multiple road
closures. The southern extent of the brunt of the damage was found along
William Penn Highway where a large tree was blown down and blocked the
highway.

The National Weather Service in State College would like to thank the
Juniata County Department of Emergency Services for their time and
assistance with this damage survey.

&&

NOTE:
The information in this statement is preliminary and subject to
change pending final review of the event and publication in NWS
Storm Data.

$$

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Another low of 48 for eastern West Hempfield Township. Man this weather is pure gold. 

You'll probably appreciate this nugget of weather..."oddity" - yesterday, the airpark on Donegal Springs Road dropped to 49.1 for the low, which was 4.7 degrees higher than my 44.4 reading. We are separated by 2/10ths of a mile, and on clear, calm cool mornings the airpark typically runs 1-3 degrees lower than me. And yet yesterday...they were nearly 5 full degrees warmer.

Huh. 

Another cool start to the morning with most spots across the county well down into the 40's again for overnight lows. Our great weather continues with temps staying in the 70's for highs for the remainder of the work week. Our next chance of rain comes Saturday night before clearing and turning a bit cooler again by Sunday.
Chester County records for today: High 103 degrees at Phoenixville (1953) / Low 43 degrees at West Chester (1946) / Rain 3.48" at Phoenixville (1935)
image.png.34427ab2e2c5f1c865b242c836453ff5.png

16 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

You'll probably appreciate this nugget of weather..."oddity" - yesterday, the airpark on Donegal Springs Road dropped to 49.1 for the low, which was 4.7 degrees higher than my 44.4 reading. We are separated by 2/10ths of a mile, and on clear, calm cool mornings the airpark typically runs 1-3 degrees lower than me. And yet yesterday...they were nearly 5 full degrees warmer.

Huh. 

What is your elevation difference? I find that on calm cool mornings the higher spots like mine radiate poorly - but on mornings like yesterday with cold air advection higher spots like mine will often come in cooler....might be the same there??

2 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

What is your elevation difference? I find that on calm cool mornings the higher spots like mine radiate poorly - but on mornings like yesterday with cold air advection higher spots like mine will often come in cooler....might be the same there??

Negligible - a matter of a few feet. The airport station is actually a few feet higher.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Huh. 

That is absolutely fascinating.  What is the elevation difference?  Do either of the gauges sit in a small dimple or relative low spot?  I assume it's all the same or negligible?  Wild. 

23 hours ago, canderson said:

Speaking of football - look forward to Texas going to Michigan Saturday and flexing muscle and showing them what the fastest team in college looks like. 

i was hoping this was a later game. i just looked. I guess i'll be giving the remote a workout, switching back and forth

5 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

i was hoping this was a later game. i just looked. I guess i'll be giving the remote a workout, switching back and forth

That FOX contract really sucks ass. ABC drew 8.2 million viewers last weekend for Notre Dame vs A&M, and 9.2 million the following night for LSU vs USC in prime time. Half the country is rubbing the crust out of their faces before the Big Noon kickoff and then you have nine other games going on.

• Like 1