• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty

Sounds like Voyager is needed to my SW.  Hauling in water.

In West Virginia’s core drought area, stream levels are low, soils are dry, and pastures and meadows are not regenerating, resulting in a detrimental impact upon cattle and livestock. Many farmers and ranchers are hauling water for livestock and irrigation. According to August 18 U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) statistics, 87% of the topsoil and subsoil in West Virginia is short or very short of moisture (dry or very dry), and 65% of the pastures and rangeland is in poor to very poor condition.

image.thumb.png.e26df94778c877cfa212053050fa55f6.png

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Now show me March ;)

Since we are anxiously waiting to see how ENSO and other indies will align for your backyard winter forecasts, i think this one is in a wee bit of trouble....so far.  Only 1/2 way through, but gonna need some legit attempts for putting some points on the board, or it's in fear of getting points taken away for stalling (hows that for my wrestling pals in our group).

https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/noaa-predicts-above-normal-2024-atlantic-hurricane-season

and this is an interesting read shared in the ENSO forum (my late summer digi newspaper of sorts). 

@canderson....dont look.  :ph34r:

https://phys.org/news/2023-12-jet-stream-faster-climate.html

Thats all....for now.  Enjoy this pre fall preview. 

• Like 1

August cool stats

* MDT is on their way to their 7th day of staying below 80 in August.  That would put it tied for the 4th highest total since 2000.    Many of the days were rain free making it a bit more significant.

* Yesterday was the second consecutive day of double digit below normal departures.    That is the first time this has happened during Met summer at MDT since Aug 13th and 14th 2013 assuming my output stats are right.   Also, of interest from August 2013, MDT had no days above 87 that month. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

As promised.  While ten full days left in the month makes for a tough estimate, MJS got to punching on his best Texas Instruments calculator and came up with the following.....

Current mean monthly temp is 74.8.  I calculated the final ten days as 73.6, bringing the final average monthly temp to 74.4 -- good for the solo spot of 54th warmest all-time.  This would be about a degree BN when compared against the recent climate normal period but about a half degree AN when compared against the entire POR.  Book it.

Side note, MJS is declaring the 1927 record of 67.7 as untouchable as Cy Young's.  Good day.

I just got a chance to peruse the 12Z's.  Wow, what a difference in the GFS and CMC vs the Euro to close the month.  GFS only has 1 day where MDT stays above 70 at night, CMC 2 days, Euro suggests 5.  Will go a long way toward a lot of things including where this summer ends up on the all-time scale (currently at 5th).   CMC also goes ape shit one day and has Wed approaching 100.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I just got a chance to peruse the 12Z's.  Wow, what a difference in the GFS and CMC vs the Euro to close the month.  GFS only has 1 day where MDT stays above 70 at night, CMC 2 days, Euro suggests 5.  Will go a long way toward a lot of things including where this summer ends up on the all-time scale (currently at 5th).   CMC also goes ape shit one day and has Wed approaching 100.  

apes going apeshit - Meme by Simon_the_space_mine :) Memedroid

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

August cool stats

* MDT is on their way to their 7th day of staying below 80 in August.  That would put it tied for the 4th highest total since 2000.    Many of the days were rain free making it a bit more significant.

* Yesterday was the second consecutive day of double digit below normal departures.    That is the first time this has happened during Met summer at MDT since Aug 13th and 14th 2013 assuming my output stats are right.   Also, of interest from August 2013, MDT had no days above 87 that month. 

Hopefully this means that we will repeat the Winter of 2013-14.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

As we head into September, isn't September usually a dry month? I know there are exceptions to this with tropical systems ie Lee, Eloise come to mind.

Sept is actually the wettest month of the year at MDT (norms).   It is swayed a bit by tropical storms, but it is not a dry month.  Some of us will be going into it on a very dry spell.    Unless it rains here in the next week, we will have had 1/3" of rain in 23-24 days' time.

image.png.27dc41594dda2b88d44daf3f72602589.png

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Sept is actually the wettest month of the year at MDT (norms).    But some of us will be going into it on a very dry spell.    Unless it rains here in the next week we will have had 1/3" of rain in 23-24 days' time.

image.png.27dc41594dda2b88d44daf3f72602589.png

What about if we go back another 50 years from 1991? Does it make any difference? I remember watching Weather World years ago and they were saying September in Pa. was climatology speaking a dry month.

6 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

What about if we go back another 50 years from 1991? Does it make any difference? I remember watching Weather World years ago and they were saying September in Pa. was climatology speaking a dry month.

Definitely some drier Sept's in there along with some wetter.  If you do this same search for Aug there are some dryer months there as well...a few less it seems.  Sept first then Aug.

image.thumb.png.cb495ecf5b660e9dde3a3ff76b9c8adf.pngimage.thumb.png.d495f934c766d5e3ab33dbe8410f60ad.png