• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty

On 8/17/2024 at 8:14 AM, Blizzard of 93 said:

I am looking forward to you extrapolating the remaining August numbers to hopefully score us a below normal month at MDT.

As promised.  While ten full days left in the month makes for a tough estimate, MJS got to punching on his best Texas Instruments calculator and came up with the following.....

Current mean monthly temp is 74.8.  I calculated the final ten days as 73.6, bringing the final average monthly temp to 74.4 -- good for the solo spot of 54th warmest all-time.  This would be about a degree BN when compared against the recent climate normal period but about a half degree AN when compared against the entire POR.  Book it.

Side note, MJS is declaring the 1927 record of 67.7 as untouchable as Cy Young's.  Good day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

As promised.  While ten full days left in the month makes for a tough estimate, MJS got to punching on his best Texas Instruments calculator and came up with the following.....

Current mean monthly temp is 74.8.  I calculated the final ten days as 73.6, bringing the final average monthly temp to 74.4 -- good for the solo spot of 54th warmest all-time.  This would be about a degree BN when compared against the recent climate normal period but about a half degree AN when compared against the entire POR.  Book it.

Side note, MJS is declaring the 1927 record of 67.7 as untouchable as Cy Young's.  Good day.

Waiting for the Dubois report that skews the cool....:P

This weather is just lovely.  54 on digi thermo en route to ETown.  You 40's winners....enjoy it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The legend of MDT lives on.....57 was their low.    So inappropriate that they are the official spot for the entire area.

They now stand -1.1 for the month with another 2-3 BN days on tap.  

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Another very "disappointing" low of 55 here in Maytown. Never got below the mid 50s this week after a few forecast lows in the upper 40s. 

Just saw your post - FWIW, my lowest temp overnight/this morning was 55.3 - so right in line with the reading at MDT. As the Snowman said, it was just too cloudy. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Just saw your post - FWIW, my lowest temp overnight/this morning was 55.3 - so right in line with the reading at MDT. As the Snowman said, it was just too cloudy. 

My feeling on it is that a large majority of the area got into the 40's or low 50's...even Canderson made it.  This is not a onetime occurrence; they misrepresent the area as a whole weekly. 

Their temp is the basis for average temps over here, North of Pillow, etc.     The frequent highest temp/near highest in the area should not be our official temp for record keeping.   Mui had 51, LNS had 54...hard to find many if any temps that stayed at 57 last night. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

My feeling on it is that a large majority of the area got into the 40's or low 50's...even Canderson made it.  This is not a onetime occurrence; they misrepresent the area as a whole weekly. 

Their temp is the basis for average temps over here, North of Pillow, etc.     The frequent highest temp/near highest in the area should not be our official temp for record keeping.   Mui had 51, LNS had 54...hard to find many if any temps that stayed at 57 last night. 

If it wasn't for the people in this thread I would never have a clue what was happening at MDT. :) 

Is there a more viable spot for those that care? It seems like CXY runs too high during warmer days. MDT is too high at night. 

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

If it wasn't for the people in this thread I would never have a clue what was happening at MDT. :) 

Is there a more viable spot for those that care? It seems like CXY runs too high during warmer days. MDT is too high at night. 

I think that since most of the area is not part of the concrete jungle it would be more appropriate in a less urban area away from the only major river in the area.  To me using MDT is no different than using THV.  The extreme THV lows do not represent reality either.   If MDT had gotten down to 54 or 55, I would be less inclined to say anything but 57 was not reality IMO.  Totally understand the clouds last night on a one-time issue.   IN closing (LOL) I will summarize that the temp at MDT was higher than any temp reported here or other official stations so not a median per se. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think that since most of the area is not part of the concrete jungle it would be more appropriate in a less urban area away from the only major river in the area.  To me using MDT is no different than using THV.  The extreme THV lows do not represent reality either.   If MDT had gotten down to 54 or 55, I would be less inclined to say anything but 57 was not reality IMO.  Totally understand the clouds last night on a one-time issue.   IN closing (LOL) I will summarize that the temp at MDT was higher than any temp reported here or other official stations so not a median per se. 

Please understand, I am NOT arguing. And further, this isn't directed at you, I'm replying to you since you're the one who happens to be talking. :) 

It's easy to say "something should be this, or that, or somewhere else"...and you just alluded to my point as well. When you stop and think about it, so many locations have their own variations of microclimates...MDT doesn't get cold enough at nights. CXY gets too hot during the day. THV gets too cold on certain nights...I think it's easy to say "MDT isn't the best place" - I would agree with that. But...if not there, then where? 

By the way, even though KITT is only 2/10 of a mile from me, they got down to 52.5 this morning, which is nearly 3 degrees lower than me. They sit in a big, open field...that'll do it. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Please understand, I am NOT arguing. And further, this isn't directed at you, I'm replying to you since you're the one who happens to be talking. :) 

It's easy to say "something should be this, or that, or somewhere else"...and you just alluded to my point as well. When you stop and think about it, so many locations have their own variations of microclimates...MDT doesn't get cold enough at nights. CXY gets too hot during the day. THV gets too cold on certain nights...I think it's easy to say "MDT isn't the best place" - I would agree with that. But...if not there, then where? 

By the way, even though KITT is only 2/10 of a mile from me, they got down to 52.5 this morning, which is nearly 3 degrees lower than me. They sit in a big, open field...that'll do it. 

Totally understood, I am not arguing I am just speaking to the point.    If you take out all the other variables and just look at it this way, why is the areas only official recording location situated on a river beside an airport, it is enough to question it.  The answer is probably because it is the easiest to staff but it leads to inappropriately warm (or cool when the wind is coming off the water) temps that leave us guessing what MDT will show.  Just this week both MJS and I mocked the chances of them reaching the 40's because of this worry.  All good though :-).   As to where, a location that is at least 10-15 miles from the river and not near heavily travelled locations.   North of Lancaster maybe or Somewhere in between Carlisle and Harrisburg are two thoughts.    Somewhere at a median altitude for the area so cannot do it too far north.   OR we take a triangulate approach as JNS has alluded to.  THV. MDT, MUI, LNS averaged, etc. 

• Like 2