• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty

As a proud uncle of a young adult who has an intellectual disability, this post saddens me. 
When will we move on from this kind of offensive language?
I apologize. I used it because atomix had used the word for himself many times and I was trying to make light hearted jest. I won't use it going further

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

As a proud uncle of a young adult who has an intellectual disability, this post saddens me. 

Seconded. We are better than that language. It belongs in the pasture. 

Edit: I mean generally - not about the poster. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I will admit. Use of that word is probably the one behaviour that I have struggled to change the most as I have aged. Knowing the negative connotations of it, the harm the use of it comes to so many, and the knowledge that other, less harmful terms exist, I still struggle to not use it. I even did in response to the other post, even though I know it's wrong. 

What's worse is I have friends and a fiance who work directly with developmentally disabled folks and they're great. I would never call them that to their face, but I use the word to describe other crap all the time, even though I know it's wrong. 

I have much work to do. Hopefully someday I find where that word is no longer a part of my vocabulary. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I will admit. Use of that word is probably the one behaviour that I have struggled to change the most as I have aged. Knowing the negative connotations of it, the harm the use of it comes to so many, and the knowledge that other, less harmful terms exist, I still struggle to not use it. I even did in response to the other post, even though I know it's wrong. 

What's worse is I have friends and a fiance who work directly with developmentally disabled folks and they're great. I would never call them that to their face, but I use the word to describe other crap all the time, even though I know it's wrong. 

I have much work to do. Hopefully someday I find where that word is no longer a part of my vocabulary. 

I remember in 8th grade I said a derogatory word during a football game. My coach took me aside and literally yelled and hit my shoulder pads about how it was wrong. Sometimes we just need a jolt to eliminate things that used to be common but we know are not right.  

Your heart is in the right place. Try to think of embarrassment when it enters your brain and soon enough it never will. 

• Like 2

I’m surprised that no one posted the Flood Watch that was hoisted for many of us.

Flood Watch
National Weather Service State College PA
324 PM EDT Wed Aug 7 2024

PAZ006-011-012-017>019-024>028-033>037-041-042-045-046-049-050-056-
063-081000-
/O.NEW.KCTP.FA.A.0007.240809T0600Z-240810T0600Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Potter-Cameron-Northern Clinton-Clearfield-Northern Centre-
Southern Centre-Cambria-Blair-Huntingdon-Mifflin-Juniata-Somerset-
Bedford-Fulton-Franklin-Tioga-Northern Lycoming-Sullivan-Southern
Clinton-Southern Lycoming-Union-Snyder-Perry-Cumberland-
Including the cities of Selinsgrove, Chambersburg, Philipsburg,
Williamsport, Bedford, Emporium, Laporte, State College,
Lewistown, Altoona, Lewisburg, DuBois, Huntingdon, Carlisle,
Johnstown, Trout Run, Clearfield, Lock Haven, Somerset,
Mansfield, Renovo, Newport, McConnellsburg, Coudersport, Mount
Union, Mifflintown, and Wellsboro
324 PM EDT Wed Aug 7 2024

...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH LATE
FRIDAY NIGHT...

* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is possible.

* WHERE...A portion of central Pennsylvania, including the following
  areas, Bedford, Blair, Cambria, Cameron, Clearfield, Cumberland,
  Franklin, Fulton, Huntingdon, Juniata, Mifflin, Northern Centre,
  Northern Clinton, Northern Lycoming, Perry, Potter, Snyder,
  Somerset, Southern Centre, Southern Clinton, Southern Lycoming,
  Sullivan, Tioga and Union.

* WHEN...From late Thursday night through late Friday night.

* IMPACTS...Excessive runoff may result in flooding of rivers,
  creeks, streams, and other low-lying and flood-prone locations.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
  - Debby will bring heavy rainfall through the area early Friday
    morning through early Saturday morning. Widespread rainfall
    accumulations of 3 to 5 inches are expected with locally
    higher amounts up to 7 inches possible.
  - http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible Flood
Warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be prepared
to take action should flooding develop.

&&

Good news, MDT now has a rain surplus across the board for the month to date, year to date & most importantly for the sake of the drought….
MDT is now ABOVE normal since the beginning of June!
IMG_6558.thumb.jpeg.2a6d5500d742b92276f37c172ed7f51c.jpeg
Haha, as long as I get my home rain gauge above normal that's what matters to me.

Here is said nado threat20240807_213041.jpg

29 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I apologize. I used it because atomix had used the word for himself many times and I was trying to make light hearted jest. I won't use it going further

24 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I'm far, far from perfect. The word is one that was commonplace years ago and I certainly used it more than once.

I feel compelled to share this. I was at work years ago, 23 years old and far too immature for my age. I'm an only child and struggled to bond with people growing up. I got along with everyone but true friends of no one. I was awkward and used humor as an embarrassing attempt to "win" friends since I didn't really know how to. At any rate, at work there was a group of about 6 or 8 of us in the break room and one in the group was very large. I thought I would make a joke and see if I would get laughs as a way to "fit in" and gain popularity. Well, I seized the moment and let my joke fly. And you know what? Almost everyone did laugh. One did not. And as the tears poured down her cheeks, I learned the biggest lesson in my entire life, and one that 36 years later I have never forgotten.

Words matter. They can do a lot of things, good and bad. My words crushed that woman in about 3 seconds. I vowed to never speak like that again.

And now? I do harassment training with our workforce. And I share that story with every group. I don't want to forget. I want it to be a constant reminder that my words matter.

I thank both of you for your honesty and your heartfelt words. Sometimes in life it's much harder to do or say the right thing. I know that first hand. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm far, far from perfect. The word is one that was commonplace years ago and I certainly used it more than once.

I feel compelled to share this. I was at work years ago, 23 years old and far too immature for my age. I'm an only child and struggled to bond with people growing up. I got along with everyone but true friends of no one. I was awkward and used humor as an embarrassing attempt to "win" friends since I didn't really know how to. At any rate, at work there was a group of about 6 or 8 of us in the break room and one in the group was very large. I thought I would make a joke and see if I would get laughs as a way to "fit in" and gain popularity. Well, I seized the moment and let my joke fly. And you know what? Almost everyone did laugh. One did not. And as the tears poured down her cheeks, I learned the biggest lesson in my entire life, and one that 36 years later I have never forgotten.

Words matter. They can do a lot of things, good and bad. My words crushed that woman in about 3 seconds. I vowed to never speak like that again.

And now? I do harassment training with our workforce. And I share that story with every group. I don't want to forget. I want it to be a constant reminder that my words matter.

I thank both of you for your honesty and your heartfelt words. Sometimes in life it's much harder to do or say the right thing. I know that first hand. 

So true. I have my own list of attempted humor or jokes gone awry.  It can seriously turn into a bad situation some times.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Right now I am getting rain as if this is Todd , PA or Hanover.  It is like summers back as been broken.
Of course you're getting rain look at the storm motion versus all the rest of summer

Right now I am getting rain as if this is Todd , PA or Hanover.  It is like summers back as been broken.
That's beautiful
Haha, I even manually added your town to radarscope since I root for you to get rain second only to myselfKLWX - Super-Res Reflectivity 1, 10_01 PM.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

Front right quadrant of tropical systems always have a few

CTP:

The clustering of storm center tracks extends from Scent PA
through the Mid Susq Valley on Friday, and the SE part of our
CWA will be under the gun for high shear/low CAPE heavy showers
and even a few mini supercells embedded in the quasi spiral rain
bands. SPC currently has a MRGL risk for parts of the Lower Susq
Valley and Western Poconos - east to the Delaware River. Can see