• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty

Lee was wild. I too know so many that lost possessions or even a house because of that flood.

Thankfully this seems much less than Lee (which was a double wammy with another storm that dropped a metric ton of rain from Irene less than a week earlier)

Both the 12Z HRRR and NAM keep Debby over land for quite some time. Emerges into the waters off the SC coast so not a real threat for RI on those runs. 
The ICON supposedly has kicked butt on this system

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, canderson said:

Lee was wild. I too know so many that lost possessions or even a house because of that flood.

Thankfully this seems much less than Lee (which was a double wammy with another storm that dropped a metric ton of rain from Irene less than a week earlier)

For us, yeah. I just saw a video of a flooded street in Worse Carolina that has me thinking it's Harvey time down there. 

Icon keeps wanting to deepen it to a Cat 2 or 3.  Not sure about that. 
But I was talking about performance to the current state of things, not future. I agree on the skepticism but I put more weight then normal on its possibility because of its past performance this week

• Like 1

It's only August 5th but MU is taking the "L" for the month already: (kudos to him for not trying to back-peddle his Summer 2024 forecast)

MU Weather Center

@MUweather

So much for a hot, dry #August.. that forecast from late May isn't going to work out, especially the "dry" part. Tropics were and will continue to be the wildcard from August through October.

3 hours ago, mahantango#1 said:

I know about 10 people that just arrived on Saturday to spend the week at Myrtle till this Saturday. They are staying in a hotel or condo on the beach. Wonder if they will have to evacuate later this week?

i was in Myrtle for Hurricane Charlie. Had just checked ocean front. evaced 2 hours later. our place was destroyed

• Sad 3

13 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

But I was talking about performance to the current state of things, not future. I agree on the skepticism but I put more weight then normal on its possibility because of its past performance this week

I understand.  I was not saying anything other than future myself. 

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It's only August 5th but MU is taking the "L" for the month already: (kudos to him for not trying to back-peddle his Summer 2024 forecast)

MU Weather Center

@MUweather

So much for a hot, dry #August.. that forecast from late May isn't going to work out, especially the "dry" part. Tropics were and will continue to be the wildcard from August through October.

It would not surprise me if this week is the last 90's for Rou if we even get there.  Would never say that about the HIA though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It would not surprise me if this week is the last 90's for Rou if we even get there.  Would never say that about the HIA though. 

Given the forecast for at least the next 7 days, I wouldn't be surprised with that either. 

He's got us lined up for a 74 on Wednesday and 76 on Thursday. Bring it. (he does extend the Lanco 90 degree streak to 7 days tomorrow, however) 

• Like 1

I know about 10 people that just arrived on Saturday to spend the week at Myrtle till this Saturday. They are staying in a hotel or condo on the beach. Wonder if they will have to evacuate later this week?
I can only imagine the lines at movie theaters, the crowds at hotel pools (especially if they have indoor pools), and grocery stores being some Lord of the flies distopian hellscape with all booze sold out in a 40 mile radius as the reality of being stuck with many children for days on end in a small condo or hotel room dawns upon the parents the desire for even bankers club vodka reaches sights unheard off outside fraternity houses

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I can only imagine the lines at movie theaters, the crowds at hotel pools (especially if they have indoor pools), and grocery stores being some Lord of the flies distopian hellscape with all booze sold out in a 40 mile radius as the reality of being stuck with many children for days on end in a small condo or hotel room dawns upon the parents the desire for even bankers club vodka reaches sights unheard off outside fraternity houses

Any liquors that start with the numbers 99 are going for 3 times retail. 

17 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Curious based on my call to cancel for a lesser storm...did you check in thinking you would have to leave or were you not sure?  

we were not sure honestly. Though as a weather geek, my gut said it was going to hit. BUT, i never thought that bad. We checked in and went to our annual Pizza place after checking in, to drink High quality PBR and eat good pizza. They knew us and where we stayed and the server came over and said they had just called it. Lucky for us we had relatives who lived not far from where we stayed, so we all just went to there houses. We actually rode the storm out in a bar on the gulf coarse. Was a great time. I was only scared for a couple minutes.

• Like 1

we were not sure honestly. Though as a weather geek, my gut said it was going to hit. BUT, i never thought that bad. We checked in and went to our annual Pizza place after checking in, to drink High quality PBR and eat good pizza. They knew us and where we stayed and the server came over and said they had just called it. Lucky for us we had relatives who lived not far from where we stayed, so we all just went to there houses. We actually rode the storm out in a bar on the gulf coarse. Was a great time. I was only scared for a couple minutes.
I would actually love to ride out a hurricane in a bar in a golf course. What I would hate is the weeks afterward with no A/C

4 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I would actually love to ride out a hurricane in a bar in a golf course. What I would hate is the weeks afterward with no A/C

after it passed, we set our beach chairs in my uncles parking lot and drank beer ( big surprise i know) when we went back to town we walked to ocean side and every window and sliding glass door was blown out. when we went into office they said " give us an hour and we will have your room ready" true story. We made them give us our money back. and we checked into place directly beside ours, which wasnt affected at all. pretty crazy.

after it passed, we set our beach chairs in my uncles parking lot and drank beer ( big surprise i know) when we went back to town we walked to ocean side and every window and sliding glass door was blown out. when we went into office they said " give us an hour and we will have your room ready" true story. We made them give us our money back. and we checked into place directly beside ours, which wasnt affected at all. pretty crazy.
Wait, the place nextdoor was not effected? Was it a street back with your original place on the beach?

3 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Wait, the place nextdoor was not effected? Was it a street back with your original place on the beach?

it was directly beside our hotel. like a couple feet. The only thing they had to clean up, was part of a brick wall from our hotel fell on their pool deck. 

when we drove back to town, it was like a war zone. Reminded me of the Camp Hill prison riots in the late 80s.

My ex wife took the pictures with her or i would post them.

it was directly beside our hotel. like a couple feet. The only thing they had to clean up, was part of a brick wall from our hotel fell on their pool deck. 
when we drove back to town, it was like a war zone. Reminded me of the Camp Hill prison riots in the late 80s.
I wonder why such a difference

1 minute ago, Jns2183 said:

I wonder why such a difference

i;m not sure. My family we talk about it all the time. Though it screwed up our vacation, we had a great time with an experience we probably will never have. the thing that sticks with me, i was standing on the beach looking at our hotel, and all the curtains like being sucked out the windows and doors because all the glass was gone. It looked a direct hit from a missle.