• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It means you are young and/or do not visit Ohio much :-).  Rax was a big deal around here in the 80's and they are still open in Ohio. 

Rax Roast Beef

Not sure if 42 is considered young around these parts but yeah, I've never heard of that one.  Learn something new every day!  Is this like a step-sibling of Arby's or something like that?

16 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Not sure if 42 is considered young around these parts but yeah, I've never heard of that one.  Learn something new every day!  Is this like a step-sibling of Arby's or something like that?

I knew you would come back and say you were not young.  Ha.  They were like a Super Arby's.  They had a giant salad bar that was a rectangle in the middle of the establishment, that was as big as any of the stands at Shady Maple the last time I was out that way.    They also had a menu focused on Roast Beef but also had Chicken and Fish.    They eventually also sold Burgers, Pizza and Tacos.   Rax started as Jax in 1967 then went to Jix and Rix and finally Rax.    Arby's began in 1964.  Unsure if Rax stole any ideas but they had over 500 locations at one point including in Canada, Guatemala and 38 US states!   This pic only shows about 50% of the entire 4-sided salad bar. 

945459_BgvxHub-VbCmS7EVyZjlQgukDm9jljP4o_hDmMtsank

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, paweather said:

I don't think slump is the word, total meltdown is much better especially with our so called ACE last night getting rocked. :D

Just a little reality coming to the Phillies as it came to the Yankees and Orioles.  Yankees have come out of it, but for how long is the question. Orioles look like they may have some more time. 

Fwiw, I was a lifelong Yankees fan/Orioles hater despite my living in a Baltimore suburb for more than 60 years. Lost total interest in all sports around 20 years ago and hadn't watched more than an inning of baseball until this year when I  sorta started watching baseball again....have to find something to do when you retire!

If the Yankees have, in fact, shaken off their slump, they'll be hard to beat. But due to the age of their club, I doubt they'll make it through the playoffs. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I knew you would come back and say you were not young.  Ha.  They were like a Super Arby's.  They had a giant salad bar that was a rectangle in the middle of the establishment, that was as big as any of the stands at Shady Maple the last time I was out that way.    They also had a menu focused on Roast Beef but also had Chicken and Fish.    They eventually also sold Burgers, Pizza and Tacos.   Rax started as Jax in 1967 then went to Jix and finally Rax.    Arby's began in 1964.  Unsure if Rax stole any ideas but they had over 500 locations at one point including in Canada, Guatemala and 38 US states!   This pic only shows about 50% of the entire 4-sided salad bar. 

945459_BgvxHub-VbCmS7EVyZjlQgukDm9jljP4o_hDmMtsank

Never saw or heard of Rax in my life until the posts above. Thanks for expanding my horizon....well, sort of.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, paweather said:

I don't think slump is the word, total meltdown is much better especially with our so called ACE last night getting rocked. :D

I hate clichés but some are relevant - years like the O's had last year when they didn't lose a series after early May are ridiculously rare. What is much more common is for even the best teams to go into slumps. The 1983 World Champs had 2 separate 7 game losing streaks and had 2 losing months in the midst of their great season overall. It's a very long season and slumps happen. And when your (my) team are in a slump it feels like it's much worse than what it really is. 

The Phillies are loaded with talent but more importantly are loaded with good guys. No way they don't turn this around. Probably sooner than later. The Yankees can and will hit, their issue like many teams is pitching. More than anything else right now, our favorite teams just aren't swinging the bats well. That will change. Wheeler is fine. I'm much more concerned about Ranger. He needs to spot his pitches and if he's dealing with back issues that becomes problematic. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Just a little reality coming to the Phillies as it came to the Yankees and Orioles.  Yankees have come out of it, but for how long is the question. Orioles look like they may have some more time. 

Fwiw, I was a lifelong Yankees fan/Orioles hater despite my living in a Baltimore suburb for more than 60 years. Lost total interest in all sports around 20 years ago and hadn't watched more than an inning of baseball until this year when I  sorta started watching baseball again....have to find something to do when you retire!

If the Yankees have, in fact, shaken off their slump, they'll be hard to beat. But due to the age of their club, I doubt they'll make it through the playoffs. 

Yeah true but I blame Climate Change for our slump it is so damn hot to play baseball. LOL!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I hate clichés but some are relevant - years like the O's had last year when they didn't lose a series after early May are ridiculously rare. What is much more common is for even the best teams to go into slumps. The 1983 World Champs had 2 separate 7 game losing streaks and had 2 losing months in the midst of their great season overall. It's a very long season and slumps happen. And when your (my) team are in a slump it feels like it's much worse than what it really is. 

The Phillies are loaded with talent but more importantly are loaded with good guys. No way they don't turn this around. Probably sooner than later. The Yankees can and will hit, their issue like many teams is pitching. More than anything else right now, our favorite teams just aren't swinging the bats well. That will change. Wheeler is fine. I'm much more concerned about Ranger. He needs to spot his pitches and if he's dealing with back issues that becomes problematic. 

Very true we will see!

4 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Yep, pretty much what I said. And I forgive you for hating on your hometown team.

Also - I view you as a very knowledgeable poster. How in the world do you not know Rax Roast Beef?!?!?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Agreed 100% I changed my profile pic yesterday to change the Phillies luck.....it did not go swell! So now I have changed it back to Phillies with a different logo. Trying to bring back the good juju!! Go Phillies!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I was watching the Yankee/Redsox game on ESPN on Sunday, and the retired pitcher who was announcing made a good point. With the change keeping starting pitchers to a low pitch count, the bullpens are getting tired with all the work they're having to do. I  think we're seeing that with the Yankees, Phillies, Orioles, and Boston. Probably all the teams, but they're the only teams I've had a chance to see.

They'll need to expand rosters from the start of the season to add pitchers if things are going to change.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yep, pretty much what I said. And I forgive you for hating on your hometown team.

Also - I view you as a very knowledgeable poster. How in the world do you not know Rax Roast Beef?!?!?

Trust me, I feel cheated. :(

• Haha 1