• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

1 minute ago, TheClimateChanger said:

For most people in this subforum, it's probably the hottest summer to date for their lifetimes (certainly top 2/3) and one of only a select few years in terms of 90s. I'd say that's pretty impressive.

15th straight July at MDT in the top half of all Julys on record.

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Your relentlessness on this subject is what's really impressive. I'm not so sure that a lot of us are impressed otherwise. 

His numbers overlook the backloaded summers that soar the 90-degree day totals.  Even if every day between now and Sept 1 was 90, MDT would still not catch 1966 and MDT needs over 20 to catch the war years 1943 and 44.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

His numbers overlook the backloaded summers that soar the 90-degree day totals.  Even if every day between now and Sept 1 was 90, MDT would still not catch 1966 and MDT needs over 20 to catch the war years 1943 and 44.  

Actually no, because I can't predict the future. It would make little sense to compare this year's numbers to a full calendar year.

One thing I find interesting is if you compare 1943 & 1944 to this year at the same location in which they were observed (CXY), this year actually jumps out to a slight lead.

image.png.839fd7fb2aa6ae614a06b9f1d07d942b.png

8 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Anyways, for the cold weather enthusiasts, you will love to see this. Very skeptical of low 50s at 18z in early August in northern Pennsylvania, but we shall see.

sfct-imp.us_ne.png

Operational models and ensembles do show a pretty strong troughing signal over eastern Canada in that timeframe. Maybe it spills into PA, maybe it doesn’t.

11 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

For most people in this subforum, it's probably the hottest summer to date for their lifetimes (certainly top 2/3) and one of only a select few years in terms of 90s. I'd say that's pretty impressive.

9 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

In July 2020, the temperature at Lancaster (MU) reached 90 or above 23 times that month.

In July 2024, the temperature at the same station has reached 90 or above 13 times. We'll tack on #14 tomorrow. 

This month has NOT been anywhere close to record breaking in terms of heat. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Actually no, because I can't predict the future. It would make little sense to compare this year's numbers to a full calendar year.

One thing I find interesting is if you compare 1943 & 1944 to this year at the same location in which they were observed (CXY), this year actually jumps out to a slight lead.

You can predict that it is impossible for MDT to catch 1966 in Met Summer and VERY unlikely to catch it at all.  Your numbers are up until now which are legit, but MDT is not on a pace to break the record which should be mentioned.     Also, what of July 2020 when MDT had 22 90+ days that month alone?  That is much more impressive in my eyes than 25 for the entire year so far.  It has been an up and down summer with the ups being much higher than the downs but the 12 days BN at MDT have counteracted July heat a bit.    MDT has a 60 and 61 for lows this month which does not happen every July. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

In July 2020, the temperature at Lancaster (MU) reached 90 or above 23 times that month.

In July 2024, the temperature at the same station has reached 90 or above 13 times. We'll tack on #14 tomorrow. 

This month has NOT been anywhere close to record breaking in terms of heat. 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

You can predict that it is impossible for MDT to catch 1966 in Met Summer and VERY unlikely to catch it at all.  Your numbers are up until now which are legit, but MDT is not on a pace to break the record which should be mentioned.     Also, what of July 2020 when MDT had 22 90+ days that month alone?  That is much more impressive in my eyes that 25 for the entire year so far.  It has been an up and down summer with the ups being much higher than the downs but the 12 days BN at MDT have countered acted July a bit.  

• Like 1

They had no readings at Cap City from October 1991 to September 2000. They missed the big 1999 heat wave

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Hey look - I'm not going to argue against CC. But I will push back when numbers are finessed to fit an agenda. This has been a hot summer locally but it most certainly has NOT been "very impressive" compared to just 4 short years ago. 

Unless you are 3 years old, then this is a lifetime event.   

• Haha 1

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Hey look - I'm not going to argue against CC. But I will push back when numbers are finessed to fit an agenda. This has been a hot summer locally but it most certainly has NOT been "very impressive" compared to just 4 short years ago. 

I'm looking at met summer to date. But comparing this to 2020 certainly doesn't mean it's not been the hottest summer to date. In fact, it has been at MDT. 2020 was the prior hottest summer to date. So it's really funny saying it's only "4 short years ago" - what difference does it make how long ago when it was literally the prior hottest summer? Lol.

image.png.32047065467312b98c6f62ccca2ea290.png

Just now, TheClimateChanger said:

I'm looking at met summer to date. But comparing this to 2020 certainly doesn't mean it's not been the hottest summer to date. In fact, it has been at MDT. 2020 was the prior hottest summer to date. So it's really funny saying it's only "4 short years ago" - what difference does it make how long ago when it was literally the prior hottest summer? Lol.

The subject was days in the 90's, not mean temps.   MDT's lows go a long way toward making that number.   It is proven fact that almost every year has been hotter than the last for a while now and as I posted a few days ago, we just had the hottest day in the history of the earth when looking globally. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

You got me. I give up. You win. 

At least I'm glad you thought that I was funny. 

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The subject was days in the 90's, not mean temps.   MDT's lows go a long way toward making that number.   It is proven fact that almost every year has been hotter than the last for a while now and as I posted a few days ago, we just had the hottest day in the history of the earth when looking globally. 

Most...not all, but most of us are sleeping at 3am when it's 81 at MDT. 

Most...not all, but most of us truly care what the temp is during, you know, the hours that we're up...about...doing stuff outdoors. And this July ain't holding a candle to 2020 in terms of daytime heat. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I already showed there was one more 90F+ at MDT at this point in the year than there was in 2020. And then people came in rebutting that objective fact by saying there were fewer this July than in July 2020 and that I wasn't considering the backloading of prior summers where there was lots of 90s in August and even September. None of which is relevant to the fact that there was more 90s this year so far, and only a select few years with more.

7 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I already showed there was one more 90F+ at MDT at this point in the year than there was in 2020. And then people came in rebutting that objective fact by saying there were fewer this July than in July 2020 and that I wasn't considering the backloading of prior summers where there was lots of 90s in August and even September. None of which is relevant to the fact that there was more 90s this year so far, and only a select few years with more.

Cool, now do East Nantmeal, hotshot.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I already showed there was one more 90F+ at MDT at this point in the year than there was in 2020. And then people came in rebutting that objective fact by saying there were fewer this July and that I wasn't considering the backloading of prior summers where there was lots of 90s in August and even September.

Like I said, your stats are legit, but your past posts have proven that you are not here to just post anomalous stats like many of the rest of us.  You have an agenda, so I thought it best to point out that 2024 had almost no chance of breaking the yearly 90's record and as ITT said, even on a month-to-month basis, 2024 falls far behind the record holder of 90's for this month.    No one disputes it is officially hotter every year (globally) over recent years but a LOT of that comes from the lows vs. the highs.     MDT is currently #3 in mean max temp all time for Met summer but is number 1 in mean low temp.  If you average out for the whole year so far, highs and lows, 2024 at MDT is currently the hottest year ever through yesterday but again the warm winter has as much to do with that as the 90's. 

image.png.ccc3ebf0ff95885c5e4cfd64fcc7d35f.png

image.png.9ed62ffbe9204199424085954299b7ba.png

26 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Most...not all, but most of us are sleeping at 3am when it's 81 at MDT. 

Most...not all, but most of us truly care what the temp is during, you know, the hours that we're up...about...doing stuff outdoors. And this July ain't holding a candle to 2020 in terms of daytime heat. 

This is the thing, and I agree with you. For meteorological purposes, mean temperatures count as far as whether it's a hot summer or not. For most of us though, we gauge the heat by the afternoon high temp. Perception is key. The more 90's, the hotter the summer seems to most of the average population.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Very impressive figures. This summer seems to be performing very well in terms of heat here in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on a variety of metrics.

The fine denizens of East Nantmeal township would disagree...

37 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Free meal within reason each shift. Discount if I ever come in

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Back when I was fresh out of college in the mid 2000's I used to work at a fine dining restaurant called Haydn Zugs in East Petersburg.  Place was top notch -- all pewter place settings, hand-polished silverware and glasses, replace tablecloths and candles at every turn of a table, fancy fold the napkin every time customer gets up, crumb between courses (which some people find weird haha), etc.  There was nothing better than when we'd have one of our private rooms rented out for a high-end corporate party or something of the like and they'd leave behind loads of half-drank $100+ bottles of wine.  Let's just say the staff would have a good time on those nights haha.   Everyone should have to work in a restaurant at least once.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Back when I was fresh out of college in the mid 2000's I used to work at a fine dining restaurant called Haydn Zugs in East Petersburg.  Place was top notch -- all pewter place settings, hand-polished silverware and glasses, replace tablecloths and candles at every turn of a table, fancy fold the napkin every time customer gets up, crumb between courses (which some people find weird haha), etc.  There was nothing better than when we'd have one of our private rooms rented out for a high-end corporate party or something of the like and they'd leave behind loads of half-drank $100+ bottles of wine.  Let's just say the staff would have a good time on those nights haha.   Everyone should have to work in a restaurant at least once.

Rax

5 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

One of my very first dates back in the 1980s was there. She was impressed, I was broke. 

• Haha 2

Stats for those that want to be in the know:

2023-2024 set a record for the least amount of Heating Degree Days at Dubois when looking only at Met winter.   It shows second on this list, but the top year has flawed data.  Nittany Energy Heating Oil and Penelec electric took it on the chin last year per the Dubois Chamber of Commerce. 

image.png.43ddcab7ecfc7c792b2bfdf024de9835.png