• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

21 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Here's the Tax link I used. It has an exhaustive list of stuff including insulation. 

https://www.energystar.gov/about/federal-tax-credits/insulation

For the fireplace, you can supposedly find on the internet, though I never looked, a blow up balloon type of thing for your flue that will block all the air loss. It's made to collapse when it reaches a certain temperature in case you forget it's there and light a fire. We never use our fireplace, so I  just took some of that 1/4" foam foundation air seal sold on a roll I had laying around and tucked it under the damper when shut. We don't have any recessed lighting in this house. The only thing I  can't change for a reasonable cost is the chimney for the oil furnace. I know that's a source for heat loss, but I  ain't spending $15k for a new furnace since there's nothing wrong with the unit I  have that was installed in 2018 by the prior owner.

Thanks.  I think I know them all... it is whether it will amount to a rebate for me or if it will only cancel out taxes owed.  It says one thing, but my CPA explained it a different way.  Between the two rebates the $5000 insulation cost will be down to $3000.  I had 3 guys here for 24 total hours....if each are getting paid $20/hr that is $60x 24 or $1400 in man hour cost so I cannot complain about what they charged as I could not have done it.  They paid at least $500 to dump the old insulation.  It was over 500 pounds worth. 

Thanks for the info on the balloon, that is interesting.  I have a damper, but it is old and does not work well so I have to shove a metal bar up into the chimney to open it.  We have a propane burner in there so leave the damper open a bit just to be safe.    Would have to close it if we ever needed that burner for an alternate heat source.   I also have oil and have no interest in changing it as gas is not available here.  Have a few rooms that are electric.  They were added on after the house build.   The problem with oil and bad weather situations, if the power goes out the oil is out as well so I lose both heat sources and am down to the propane fireplace. 

• Like 1

Great mid summer weekend underway... some valley locales in Chesco again hit the 50's for low temps this morning. Sunny weather through Monday before increasing chances of some showers by Tuesday which last through the rest of the week. While there will be rain chances certainly no wash outs and some sun each day.
Chester County records for today: High 100 degrees at Phoenixville (1944) / Low 46 degrees at Phoenixville (1977) / Rain 3.19" at Morgantown/Elverson (1958)
image.png.f8aebf1847f6f50ca3f0a1abe0e23d69.png
  • Like 1

On the other side of the coin, including 2024 through yesterday, 4 of the last 5 years have been the 4 hottest years in MDT history.  Whether HIA or CC, that is pretty indisputable that the temps around concrete jungle areas like MDT and WPT are being elevated in some manner.

Capture.JPG

Today is the first day MDT's normal high drops from 87 to 86 as the downward trend starts.   MDT's low was a sweet 61 meaning they need to reach 93 today or they will add their surprisingly high 12th BN day of the month.   HRRR does not have them reaching 90 but I would not bet any money on that.   3K has quite a few cells tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Some 50's for lows again in the lower spots of the County this AM. Another sunny day today with some increasing humidity. Shower chances start to increase on Tuesday. Thursday looks like the warmest day of the week with most spots except for the higher locales could reach 90 degrees.
Chester County records for today: High 101 degrees at Coatesville (1941) / Low 47 degrees at Phoenixville (1977) / Rain 4.19" at Devault (1969)
image.png.a35ee2bd445e4440204ad8a522d04c66.png
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Today is the first day MDT's normal high drops from 87 to 86 as the downward trend starts.   MDT's low was a sweet 61 meaning they need to reach 93 today or they will add their surprisingly high 12th BN day of the month.   HRRR does not have them reaching 90 but I would not bet any money on that.   3K has quite a few cells tomorrow. 

And so it begins…

The long slow march to first frost, first freeze & first Winter Storm Warning.

• Like 2