• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

Maybe I don't understand or know how to read observations - from what I can see, the airport in West Ocean City has received 1.84" of rain today. Are those ridiculous amounts farther south over Assateague Island?
Looks like it. Looks like a mile was the difference between a lot and nothing

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

That is sustainable in a city environ but hard to ask people with 1-2 acres to just "let it go".   In Florida, maintaining a lawn is a requirement of many gated and HOA based communities. The water bill is sometimes 200-300/MO

Don't worry, he'd ban HOAs, too. 

• Like 1

My wife and I are probably about 80 hours invested into watering grass and plants since June 1.  In Florida it would have taken us 5 years to have spent that much time doing the same.  We did maybe 2 hours a week during the summer and none during the winter.  Now it is 2-3 hours day with a day or two off after it rains.   

39 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

My wife and I are probably about 80 hours invested into watering grass and plants since June 1.  In Florida it would have taken us 5 years to have spent that much time doing the same.  We did maybe 2 hours a week during the summer and none during the winter.  Now it is 2-3 hours day with a day or two off after it rains.   

Lol, are you using a small bucket with a sprinkler top for it to take you up to 3 hours a day to water?

45 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Lol, are you using a small bucket with a sprinkler top for it to take you up to 3 hours a day to water?

Getting 1/4" of water on grass takes a long time.   Some sites say 1" but that is not doable in my situation.  I would be watering 12 hours a day.  With a sprinkler attached to a hose it would be 8-10 hours for a yard our size and moving it around as needed.  I do parts of the yard each night BY HAND with a hose to the tune of 1-2 hours a night.   If we had an irrigation system, it would do multiple zones at once and not take as long.   Putting less than 1/4" weakens the roots and you end up with dead grass.  If I just did the plants, it would take about an hour a day.    

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Getting 1/4" of water on grass takes a long time.   Some sites say 1" but that is not doable in my situation.  I would be watering 12 hours a day.  With a sprinkler attached to a hose it would be 8-10 hours for a yard our size and moving it around as needed.  I do parts of the yard each night to the tune of 1-2 hours a night.   If we had an irrigation system, it would do multiple zones at once and not take as long.   Putting less than 1/4" weakens the roots and you end up with dead grass.  If I just did the plants, it would take about an hour a day.    

I think Voyager could hook you up with deliveries of water. Probably 6200 gallons per delivery. 

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

I think Voyager could hook you up with deliveries of water. Probably 6200 gallons per delivery. 

That is not going to get the water through the grass.    The golf course here outside Waynesboro is watering twice a day right now from what I can see.   Still brown.

34 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Getting 1/4" of water on grass takes a long time.   Some sites say 1" but that is not doable in my situation.  I would be watering 12 hours a day.  With a sprinkler attached to a hose it would be 8-10 hours for a yard our size and moving it around as needed.  I do parts of the yard each night BY HAND with a hose to the tune of 1-2 hours a night.   If we had an irrigation system, it would do multiple zones at once and not take as long.   Putting less than 1/4" weakens the roots and you end up with dead grass.  If I just did the plants, it would take about an hour a day.    

That’s a lot of work.

I’m letting nature take its course for the grass.

We are just occasionally just watering our small garden.

• Like 3

My wife and I have been watering about 1.5 hours every day since early May. That's normal. What hasn't been normal is that this year we've had to do so virtually every day with so little rain falling. And that time is just watering our veggies and flowers. We've already had a nice yield of peppers, eggplant, romaine lettuce, a few different varieties of tomatoes, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

My wife and I have been watering about 1.5 hours every day since early May. That's normal. What hasn't been normal is that this year we've had to do so virtually every day with so little rain falling. And that time is just watering our veggies and flowers. We've already had a nice yield of peppers, eggplant, romaine lettuce, a few different varieties of tomatoes, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries. 

Yep.  Forget the grass, I understand all the views on that and understand why some would not do it.   But if the veggies and non food bearing plants were not watered daily they would wilt.  

• Like 1

That's way different than grass for me, even though I also made that claim specifically out west, not here

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yep.  Forget the grass, I understand all the views on that and understand whay some would not do it.   But if the veggies and non food bearing plants were not watered daily they would wilt.  

Only the grass is struggling here in spots.

The shrubs & other plants in the yards are doing just fine at this point around here.

• Like 1

A lot has to do with types of plants and sun.  The stuff we have to water every day gets sun much of the day.
This is exactly why deserts with endless irrigation are the best growing parts in the world. Who knew that endless sunshine and water on demand would create ridiculously good crops

1 hour ago, mahantango#1 said:

Even better. When I came back they put me on an 8,000 gallon tank.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

I'd just let my grass die...

9 hours ago, canderson said:

@Coop_Mason is your course dead completely?

It’s been a rough period but so far the irrigation systems have been holding up.   Greens are in great shape at all courses.   Thanks for asking.  I’m definitely ready for fall!!!

• Like 1

Wasn't there a guy in the mid Atlantic forum years ago who was planning on retiring and moving to Vermont and put together like a 700 page research analysis of the weather at different locations up there all pertaining the snow