• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos

And this is an MU map so I assume the norms are not adjusted like NWS does. 
What is the base years they use for averages?

Do they average the whole period than go back in time? I'm curious to reasons for their choice of methodology.

When you say norma are not adjusted, what are you specifically referring to?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

What is the base years they use for averages?

Do they average the whole period than go back in time? I'm curious to reasons for their choice of methodology.

When you say norma are not adjusted, what are you specifically referring to?

It was my understanding that they do not reset the Normals every period of years like NWS does.  So, in this case the norm for X month could be a mean temp of 65 in the 1920's but is now75.   I think there is a base somewhere and NWS has adjusted it to match the warmer climate.    BUT these are I thinks, I do not get into that part of Met too much but sure someone else knows more.  I think MJS does. 

Here I will give you an example....that data shows Dec 2022 as +1.34 while the NWS shows -1.6.  Now MU and MDT do not always have the same temps but they are not THAT far apart. 
Doesn't NWS compute 30 year means. So our data in the 2020s is compared against data from 1/1/1990 - 12/31/2019

5 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Doesn't NWS compute 30 year means. So our data in the 2020s is compared against data from 1/1/1990 - 12/31/2019

Yes, that was my point.  I do not think MU does that, so their departures are going to be different and often more egregious. 

28 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Close. Current base period is 1/1/1991 through 12/31/2020.

Also, it’s not an exact average. Historically, it’s smoothed and normalized to prevent chaotic jumps throughout the year.

And - I’ll probably get in trouble for bringing this up - but I noticed in the most recent iteration, some sites had normals higher than the means would suggest. Perhaps, the NWS was beta testing some sort of new global warming factor to see if it would produce a more equal number of warmer and cooler years by adding a certain amount to the 30-year means.

Rookie mistake: Damn near rolled my lawn mower a little bit ago. Went too far on a slope and had to pull some Evil Kineviel shit to stay upright.

I believe that earns a fresh stripe of green on my New Balances.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Rookie mistake: Damn near rolled my lawn mower a little bit ago. Went too far on a slope and had to pull some Evil Kineviel shit to stay upright.

I believe that earns a fresh stripe of green on my New Balances.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

And a fresh stripe of brown in your Fruit of the Looms...

From AccuWeather on Twitter: Too important not to share.

What I almost didn't notice is that the number of acres burned in 2024 increased so much more as a percentage than the increased percentage of total number of fires in 2024 vs 2023 or 5-year average. There is another chart at the link. It shows Top 5 biggest CA fires all happened since 2018, surprise, surprise.

"Wildfires in California have burned an enormous 751,327 acres as of July 30, 2024, up 2,816% from last year."

image.thumb.png.3fa7e541876689fe58ded774e3cb5d06.png

https://x.com/accuweather/status/1818709183245557827

66 this Am.

The heat yesterday was not enough to push MDT up from their spot of 5th place for all time July Mean temp.  Despite this currently being the warmest year ever at MDT (and the warmest June/July combo), they have not finished at the top on a monthly basis for either of the summer months after finishing 3rd in June.   Models continue to suggest the first half of August will not end up being overly hot with persistent troughs and light ridging. 

Capture.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, paweather said:

I agree with both you and Atomic. Mets are the team to watch. Phillies schedule gets no easier from here. 

Looking at the Phillies last two weeks, since that idiot said whomever would come there was going to lose, the Braves and Mets gained about three games in standings. The Braves have four games with the Marlins this weekend, who are basically a little league travel ball squad at this point and the Mets have the Angels, who basically an American Legion team, while the Phillies have to play the resurgent Mariners. Out west.

The Phillies' lead in the NL East come Monday could very easily be less than one series' worth of games.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Looking at the Phillies last two weeks, since that idiot said whomever would come there was going to lose, the Braves and Mets gained about three games in standings. The Braves have four games with the Marlins this weekend, who are basically a little league travel ball squad at this point and the Mets have the Angels, who basically an American Legion team, while the Phillies have to play the resurgent Mariners. Out west.

The Phillies' lead in the NL East come Monday could very easily be less than one series' worth of games.

Yep for sure!

24 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

After 3 years of embarrassing endings to seasons, it takes a lot of NY "Bluster" to be cocky right now. 

Yankees thread on this forum is often unreadable. People were saying stuff like "this team won't even contend for a wild card" 2 weeks ago and now they're acting like they have the best team ever assembled. Dude last night was bragging all about how they are going to run away and hide from the Orioles. Maybe they will, but it was an interesting take after the same guy proclaimed that they were done 10 days ago. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1